Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whos at the top

Options
  • 26-11-2011 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

so who's in the top five shooters in ireland :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

of what, full bore , smallbore , rifle, pistol, trap, skeet, dtl, sporting ,abt ,;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

RIFLE

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

RIFLE
    What discipline? (You've just asked the equivalent of "who're the top five at sports-that-use-a-ball in Ireland"...)

Sparks wrote: »
    What discipline? (You've just asked the equivalent of "who're the top five at sports-that-use-a-ball in Ireland"...)
    well i'm not 100% sure what discipline ,long distance target stuff (sniper)
    theres a reason i want the answer to this nothing sinister:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

That'd probably be someone in the Army Ranger Wing, I suppose.
    Good luck getting their names :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

so who's in the top five shooters in ireland :cool:

Tackleberrywho?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

probably as Rovi said all military, as for the shotgun it changes every year:D Most of the Irish clay team are good but ive seen farmers that would make them look like novices. All depends, alot of people who are cracking shots dont compete so you will never know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Spunk84 wrote: »
    probably as Rovi said all military, as for the shotgun it changes every year:D Most of the Irish clay team are good but ive seen farmers that would make them look like novices. All depends, alot of people who are cracking shots dont compete so you will never know

Very true!

well the reason i'm asking my brother is a top shot if thats the right phrase :rolleyes:he as far as i know is a fairly recent world champion british champion and no doubt irish champion, now to get him to admit all this is like pulling teeth and i dont see him to often anyway, and my son who's a film maker wants to kinda gather some history on him without him knowing it. now i can't give you lot his name for obvious reasons i know he uses this forum because i tried to find out his user name from him couple years back but again he was not telling me.
    so any idea given all that info, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Rovi wrote: »
    That'd probably be someone in the Army Ranger Wing, I suppose.
    Good luck getting their names :D

Not really, though they are trained to a high standard of marksmanship, I have seen better and also competed against some of them over the years in shooting competitions and I have seen lads with little or no training match them even beat them.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

whydave wrote: »
    More info here .....
    Rawhead wrote: »
    Poccington wrote: »
    2lk61ag.jpg
    Teams competing at the 2011 International Sniper Competition, moving onto a stand. bilzx5.jpg
    A member of the Defence Forces at the ISC.
    The Defence Forces sniper pair came second overall, losing by 30 points to a sniper pair from 2nd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group. It's the DF's best result to date at the ISC.
    Well done to Second place -- Cpl. Michael Craven and Cpl. Lloyd Kenny of the Irish Defense Forces.
    hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

You have to look outside competition shooting to find the best shooters IMO. The best lad I've ever seen shooting never shot for a trophy in his life, but he gets left and rights at woodcock nearly every time we go out(with a 70 year old sxs) and I've seen him drop foxes at 250yards plus with an old .303 with iron sights,(no scope)so experience counts for everything,IMO. LR

Not really, though they are trained to a high standard of marksmanship, I have seen better and also competed against some of them over the years in shooting competitions and I have seen lads with little or no training match them even beat them.:D
    Yes...
    ...but those lads with little or no training didn't compete with them in being a Ranger.

Shooting's only a small part of being a military sniper.

Longranger wrote: »
    You have to look outside competition shooting to find the best shooters IMO. The best lad I've ever seen shooting never shot for a trophy in his life, but he gets left and rights at woodcock nearly every time we go out(with a 70 year old sxs) and I've seen him drop foxes at 250yards plus with an old .303 with iron sights,(no scope)so experience counts for everything,IMO. LR

Yeah, that's poppycock.

They might be better than some people you'd see in national or club matches in Ireland, yes - but we're a small arena at best. I guarantee you, put them up against the top shooters on the international circuit and they won't be able to keep up. This romantic notion that someone with innate natural skill can easily beat someone who spends every day for decades in training is something that doesn't actually happen outside the pages of a Harry Potter novel or the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

well the reason i'm asking my brother is a top shot if thats the right phrase :rolleyes:he as far as i know is a fairly recent world champion british champion and no doubt irish champion
    Feck sake lad:p if thats true just google him, all the info should be there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Marksmanship on the field and marksmanship fundamentals are totally different things. Someone who can make incredible snap shots at animals in tight timeframes and tough conditions will kill an awful lot of game, very well, but won't necessarily be any use in a competition. Shooting is a skillset; competing is a skillset completely distinct from shooting.

You might have mates who can outshoot Derek Burnett on woodcock, but he'll slaughter them at Olympic Trap. Shooting isn't just shooting and it's all different.

Yeah, that's poppycock.

They might be better than some people you'd see in national or club matches in Ireland, yes - but we're a small arena at best. I guarantee you, put them up against the top shooters on the international circuit and they won't be able to keep up. This romantic notion that someone with innate natural skill can easily beat someone who spends every day for decades in training is something that doesn't actually happen outside the pages of a Harry Potter novel or the like.
    you could turn that around though and say a target shooter that puts thousands of rounds down range at a known range wouldnt keep up in the field with a lad like longranger mentioned. stick a 303 with iron sights in his hands and i bet he wont be able to keep up judging distance in field conditions and pulling off a single shot to make a kill

you could turn that around though and say a target shooter that puts thousands of rounds down range at a known range wouldnt keep up in the field with a lad like longranger mentioned. stick a 303 with iron sights in his hands and i bet he wont be able to keep up judging distance in field conditions and pulling off a single shot to make a kill

The OP was asking for a top five ranking. You can't generate such a ranking list in hunting - even leaving aside the ethics involved, there's no practical way to do it.

On top of which, what you're saying is that if you take someone who trained for years to hunt, that someone who hadn't trained for years to hunt couldn't beat them... which is precisely the point you're trying to argue against in the case of target shooting.

The OP was asking for a top five ranking. You can't generate such a ranking list in hunting - even leaving aside the ethics involved, there's no practical way to do it.
    I know what the op said but i was replying to your comment not the op's.
    On top of which, what you're saying is that if you take someone who trained for years to hunt, that someone who hadn't trained for years to hunt couldn't beat them... which is precisely the point you're trying to argue against in the case of target shooting.
    yeah thats what i said:confused::confused::confused:

You can't generate a top five for anything much. Even within specific disciplines, it'd be totally fluid as people improve and others have rough patches or other stuff interferes with training. You can say who were the top five on a given day, with a given attendance, but that's it. For hunting, impossible to say as well. Shooting is the least important aspect of both hunting and target shooting, so ranking shooting ability in either would be to grossly miss the point.

As to specific shots, they make great pub talk, but that's it. Someone isn't better because he made that shot, but he might be worth a pint for it. I can shoot targets, and I can hunt, and I have some ability to deal with stress both hunting and target shooting, but neither are massively demanding in terms of marksmanship. Could that guy make that shot every time? Could he shoot a ten or twenty shot group at that range into the few inches killzone of a fox with irons every time? Now, to make a different argument, could he be competitive in, say, palma shooting? It's iron sights and a sling, so do you reckon his skillset will transfer over there and he'll be a master off the bat? How about the woodcock shooter? Reckon they're an Olympic Double Trap champion we're just not going to see from? Could they do it, if only they turned up?

Now, the previous examples may seem absurd, but that's the point. There isn't a usefully measurable indicator of absolute shooting prowess, only ever the next shot, be in on paper, clay or game, and it's all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

+1 on that, especially past 300 yards with .308, yes that is the Ammo they use in the AI ;)

My No.1 would be the One and Only Adrian Casey, the barometre that all Rifles shooters aspire to!
    Casey, kay you're the dev-il :D
    A Song in honor of your achievements in Europe & Th eCreedmoor Cup Adrian!

I know for a fact the tips he gave to a friend of mine helped him win Several Competitions.
    A Giant amongst men.

My No.1 would be the One and Only Adrian Casey, the barometre that all Rifles shooters aspire to!

This is exactly the sort of example I'm talking about. That's not true. He's one shooter, in a very small pool of a very specific discipline. Even within the Irish pool of competitive rifle shooting, encompassing say, ISSF prone and three-positions rifle, benchrest, gallery rifle, F-Class, TR and sporting rifle (And I'm sure I've left out some), the vast majority of rifle shooters in that pool have precious little in common with his discipline. There's a skillset overlap, but it's limited. Certainly, he's good at what he does, but, well, to suggest he's what an ISSF 10m air rifle shooter aspires to emulate, that's nonsense.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

RIFLE
    as far as i know is a fairly recent world champion british champion and no doubt irish champion

I don't know of anyone who'd fit that bill for long range rifle shooting. I don't shoot long range stuff myself, but a lot of the good guys in that field in Ireland shoot in Midlands and I'm a member there and I don't know any of them who is a "fairly recent world champion". There's a bunch of that crowd who post here too so I'm sure if someone was World, British and Irish champion they'd be able to identify him pretty easily.

A lot of the guys competing in F-Class competitions will appear in results published on http://www.nrai.ie/ so perhaps you might have a rummage around there and see if you see his name.

Outside of F-Class there isn't a huge amount of long range competitive target shooting in Ireland due to us only having one 300m+ range. There are some people shooting TR and there's probably someone doing long-range benchrest rifle but I don't know of anyone who'd fit your description.

IRLconnor he's in that website right enough looks like he's the chairman of said club well i never.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Yeah, that's poppycock.

Forgive me for not having enough experience to have an opinion:rolleyes:,obviously I would not expect a hunter with an old rifle to match up to an international circuit target shooter,I was merely implying that it was the best I had seen. Perhaps I should have clarified that:o

This is exactly the sort of example I'm talking about. That's not true. He's one shooter, in a very small pool of a very specific discipline. Even within the Irish pool of competitive rifle shooting, encompassing say, ISSF prone and three-positions rifle, benchrest, gallery rifle, F-Class, TR and sporting rifle (And I'm sure I've left out some), the vast majority of rifle shooters in that pool have precious little in common with his discipline. There's a skillset overlap, but it's limited. Certainly, he's good at what he does, but, well, to suggest he's what an ISSF 10m air rifle shooter aspires to emulate, that's nonsense.

I must tell him that...........

Right, yeah, go nuts. :rolleyes: Personally I'll seek to emulate people who are world and Olympic champions in disciplines I actually shoot, but, hey, if you reckon I should do otherwise, well, you know what they compare opinions to...

Right, yeah, go nuts. :rolleyes: Personally I'll seek to emulate people who are world and Olympic champions in disciplines I actually shoot, but, hey, if you reckon I should do otherwise, well, you know what they compare opinions to...
    You are right as always. I really want to be more like a pellet gunner than Adrian. what was I thinking.
    Sorry Adrian if you.are reading this, You are no longer my Hero.

What you shoot is easy, and you are not an Olympic Champion so I can not respect and admire you for your achievements.

They obviously mean nothing, I was told so on boards........

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

You are right as always. I really want to be more like a pellet gunner than Adrian. what was I thinking.
    Sorry Adrian if you.are reading this, You are no longer my Hero.

What you shoot is easy, and you are not an Olympic Champion so I can not respect and admire you for your achievements.

They obviously mean nothing, I was told so on boards........

:rolleyes:

He's not saying who your hero should be. He's saying who his should be, and pointing out that depending on what you do you'll have different role models.

Which is kind of the point of a lot of the discussion in this thread. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Advertisement