Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget PC for Xmas present to my Dad

Options
  • 26-11-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

I'm thinking about getting my Dad a new PC for Christmas and I'm trying to figure out what would be the better option pre-built or self build. Budget is toward the low end as my dad really doesn't need a power house of a machine.

1. What is your budget?
    €400ish (if lower is possible great)

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Internet/Creating family tree/Some older games command and conquer series type/Photos we got him a Nikon D7000 DSLR for his 60th and his current PC about 10 years old is very slow doing anything with them.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    Yes (this is probably where the pre-built option will win out)

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    I'd say the DVD drive would be all that's useful. Hard drives are small and old might try and salvage them but would like to fit a new primary hard drive.

5. Do you need a monitor?
    No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    I'm thinking of treating myself to a Dell U2711 so I'd give him my old Samsung 1920x1080 monitor. (Tempting Price on Komplett at the moment €579)

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    No just a basic build his current mouse and keyboard are fine and can add on later if needs be.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    Shouldn't be needed for what it will be used for.

8. How can you pay?
    Credit Card/Laser/Paypal

9. When are you purchasing?
    Over the 2 weeks

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    Don't need help. Built my own PC about 2 years ago thanks to help from here and it's still going strong.

Comments

Advertisement