Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you had one Bird, Animal, Insect to see before ya croke it, what would it be ?

• 26-11-2011 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

and why ? ( apologies for the rough post title )

Interested to read what other posters would view as their ultimate wildlife viewing experience... be it some rare bird, animal, fish, frog, fungi, tree or event... can be anything

Mine is to see a white tailed eagle some day. Watching some of the videos on youtube of them in Killarney it strikes me that they really have an uphill battle to establish themselves and survive against the constant threat of poisoning / being shot. It must be a sight to behold to see them soaring high in the sky.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Good idea for a thread.

I have been lucky enough to have seen many of my must see animals up close in the wild in at this point in my life. Have seen various sharks, whales, dolphin, bear etc at pretty close range, but would love to be able to observe a wolverine in the wild for a time or just get a glimpse of a tiger in the wild.

In Ireland I think I would love to see a Black-throated
    Diver after one or two were spotted near Dublin, and would love to see a Ring Ouzel in Ireland.

I also have a dream of someday seeing a great white in Irish waters. I have seen them in Australia, New Zealand, Africa, Mexico, and off both coasts of America, but the idea of seeing one in Irish waters excites me. I have a strong belief that the occasional GW passes through Irish waters (more so since prey species of the Atlantic GWs have been found in Irish waters when at one point that prey species was thought not to be in Irish coastal waters at all. Plus as the Atlantic GWs tend to be fish eaters more than those in areas with large seal populations, there would be very little if any sightings of surface attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

I think spotting a whale in the sea is such a spiritual experience Kess, if it could be called that, spotted one quite close to a boat when out fishing near the Saltee Islands in Wexford a few years ago... other events where I went "wow" include when I was in Cape May, New Jersey not too long ago and was on the beach walking, there must have been up to 100 dolphins over a large area just jumping every where ! Also hearing a corncrake on a few summer evenings 2 miles from Dublin Airport ( yes Dublin ) where I grew up about 15 years ago... When the Buzzards started to arrive into Ireland was a big thing for me too.... remember seeing 3 of them high in the sky a few years ago and going WTF are these yokes ??? haha.. last one is watching a long eared owl last winter when there was a big snow perched on the cloths line pole at my mam and dad's house for long periods of time... he actually took one of the steak and kidney pies my dad put out for the fox !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Kess73 wrote: »

In Ireland I think I would love to see a Black-throated
    Diver after one or two were spotted near Dublin, and would love to see a Ring Ouzel in Ireland.
    Head to Finvarra point for Black-throated diver in Co.Clare now until March/April and you will defo see one. The Ballyvaughan area is their winter stronghold in Ireland. They are generally only sporadic elsewhere in the country. In April you have a good chance to see them in their beautiful summer plumage.

Ring Ouzel are pot luck unfortunately and you will most likely see them on passage in Cape Clear or Saltees islands. They are super shy so when one is reported by the time you get there they are usually gone:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

great white shark I suppose, not sure if I'd have the balls though!

I want to see all the world's crane species all 15 of them. The world's most beautiful birds. I've made a start and have seen eurasian crane and sandhill crane. I've been to South Africa to look for Wattled Crane, Blue Crane and Grey Crowned Crane. Unfortunately I saw none:(.
    Here's a photo I took of some Eurasian Crane from Extremadura in Spain:).
    jan2009029.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

extPassgreatauk2-jja.jpg

Always had an obsession with discovering a forgotten island where the last of the Great Auks had survived - shouldn't think that's too likely now. I blame "The Last Great Auk" by Allan Eckert for this irrational interest but we're all entitled to have our impossible dreams. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Ah one bird in Ireland would be too easy, need something to keep you going.

I was going to say all the birds in these two links, but they've gone and changed the list since I last looked!

They've added Honey Buzzard and Goshawk, and removed Red Kite!

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/IrelandsBirds/Raptors/tabid/184/Default.aspx

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/IrelandsBirds/Owls/tabid/190/Default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Beautiful creature

And then there is this little tyrant :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

velociraptor

Gotta be a great white!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭No.125

a lyre bird would be interesting!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I want to be this guy before i kick the bucket

sha-cageattack_low.jpg

It might happen some day. Have seen sharks while in oz but from a short distance away.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

A Polar Bear with cubs.......before they disappear forever :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Gosh that's a big question. I've a list the length of my arm of things I'd like to see. Some of those I could probably see with some time and effort to venture further afield within Ireland. I'd love to see a Humpback Whale which would take a little more time and effort.
    I've seen eagles in Canada but would love to see them here...again not impossible.
    I still can't answer the question though and pick one thing....:o

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The rarest animals I've seen in the wild was a kiwi and a small group of hector's dolphins. I've been lucky enough to see a sperm whale too. In Ireland the most memorable I've seen would be dolphins and a sihgting of a golden eagle.

Animals I would love to see though would be Orca(came very clost once :(), Polar bears, Humpback, Blue Whale and wolves. I fully intend to get on to seeing them at some point. :)

As for Irish animals, any bird of prey really, would like to spot a pine marten sometime too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Passenger Pigeon, Woolly Mammoth and Xerces Blue;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The rarest animals I've seen in the wild was a kiwi and a small group of hector's dolphins. I've been lucky enough to see a sperm whale too. In Ireland the most memorable I've seen would be dolphins and a sihgting of a golden eagle.

Animals I would love to see though would be Orca(came very clost once :(), Polar bears, Humpback, Blue Whale and wolves. I fully intend to get on to seeing them at some point. :)

As for Irish animals, any bird of prey really, would like to spot a pine marten sometime too.

I actually was terrified and in awe at the same time some years back when I was diving in the pacific off the coast of Mexico. I was moseying along thinking that I was being alert when suddenly a pod of residents started to swim past me. Two broke off to have a look at me, and all that was going through my head was an image of me being snapped like a wishbone. Part of my brain was trying to be logical by telling me that residents mainly eat fish and that I should stay calm, but the sight of two giants ambling over to me was setting off a whole chain of instincts inside of me.

They came, had a gawk at me, gave me a very close look at those eyes that have so much going on behind them, then took off after the pod leaving me spinning in their wake.

They were not the biggest creatures that I have been in the water with, but they made a bigger impression than any of marine creature that I have swam with without a cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Back in September i saw 4 of the last 7 Northern White Rhinos on the planet while staying at Ol Pejeeta ranch in Kenya. Increadibly moving and depressing at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I'd love to swim with a dolphin

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Green Dog

A hummingbird! Half insect half bird... Saw lories in Oz so America and hummingbirds is next all going well.

• Advertisement

Green Dog wrote: »
    A hummingbird! Half insect half bird... Saw lories in Oz so America and hummingbirds is next all going well.
    Just to make you jealous some of my hummingbird snaps:o
    costarica2008458.jpg
    Purple throated mountain gem (left) and Magenta throated woodstar

costarica2008392.jpg
    Violet sabrewing

costarica2008391.jpg
    Coppery headed emerald and purple throated mountain gem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

@Traonach: Costa Rica is great country for birding.

Back on topic, for me it would have to be Spoon-billed Sandpiper (http://sbsproject.wordpress.com/about-2/). Here is the main reason why.

In Ireland, it would have to be Black-browed Albatross during a seawatch from the Bridges of Ross...:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

jaysus that honey badger is a right tough nut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Very difficult question a humpback whale would be first Golden eagle next then the big five
    in Africa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Bird of Paradice and the Lyrebird,maybe some day I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Difficult one, but I think it would have to be a Polar Bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Dony

Standing at a cliff edge somewhere in the Andes watching a Condor soar by would be pretty satisfying I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

marlin vs wrote: »
    Bird of Paradice and the Lyrebird,maybe some day I will.

Lyrebirds are easy to find in NSW. I you're ever there. Lots of the in Royal Nat Park.
    Mines the Pine Marten. Only Irish Mammal I've yet to see. Any suggestions welcomed

Advertisement