Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar - Athlone Railway Line???

Options
  • 26-11-2011 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭

Isn't it time to give up the ghost about reopening this railway line?

http://www.labour.ie/williepenrose/news/20060302144219.html

There is no money for it, and the benefits of it are questionable now with the motorway there (they'd be beter off upgrading the bus service and the bad bends from Dalystown to Belvedere)

Surely what is needed is something to promote tourism and enterprise along the route??
    A cycle way would be an ideal transformation of the railway line
    http://www.advertiser.ie/athlone/article/41684/athlone-mullingar-railway-could-open-to-cyclists

Al you have to do is look at what was done in Westport-Achill to see the benefits of having a cycleway
    http://www.greenway.ie/Greenway-01.html

the investment will bring jobs during construction and afterwards
    it will bring people to Athlone and Mullingar.
    the towns and villages along the way would benefit - Moate, CTG, streamstown
    spur cycleways could be developed down to Clara, Ferbane and Banagher, Kinnegad and along the canal to Ballymahon from Mullingar o back up towards Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Many a knacker drinkin session I had on the line ad a gossun

I think the last sheduled passenger service ran in 87 and the line was used for goods trains after that until around 95
    Cant see it ever being opened again...The cycle path idea could be good alright

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

It was twin track to Dublin during WW1 when it was used for troop movements. There should be room for walkway & cycle track. Didn't Dara O'Brien & the other pair use some sort of bicycle contraption to travel on the tracks to Athlone from Mullingar?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 siobherz

oh God i'd be delighted if it reopened, it'd be the best way to get young ppl who can't drive to commute...ur not gna get far enough on a bike realistically, especially with a full day at work inbetween journeys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

siobherz wrote: »
    oh God i'd be delighted if it reopened, it'd be the best way to get young ppl who can't drive to commute...ur not gna get far enough on a bike realistically, especially with a full day at work inbetween journeys

Many from Athlone commuting to Mullingar? The fact that there are feck all bus services says alot. It's a ridiculous idea to reopen it.

No offence to Mullingar, but what is in Mullingar to take Athlonians to it? The roads are good enough. What's in Mullingar that is not in Athlone and its large hinterland?

The bicycle lanes goods like a very good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Many from Athlone commuting to Mullingar? The fact that there are feck all bus services says alot. It's a ridiculous idea to reopen it.

No offence to Mullingar, but what is in Mullingar to take Athlonians to it? The roads are good enough. What's in Mullingar that is not in Athlone and its large hinterland?

The bicycle lanes goods like a very good idea.

The road isn't good enough at all, it's not much better than a boreen. I was talking to a friend from Mullingar recently, I'm from Athlone and we were both giving out about the state of the road between the two. He said to me "that road is shocking and when you get to the end of it all that's there is Athlone"; I had more of less the same feeling about it regarding Mullingar. I doubt there's any great numbers commuting between the two although there'll be more when they close their army barracks.

That line is well beyond repair and has been since I was a kid. The cycleway idea is kinda nice but you'd be cycling from a couple of student estates to Sarsfield square and back. That'd be about as much fun as bouncing around St Mel's terrace on a pink pogo stick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    The road isn't good enough at all, it's not much better than a boreen. I was talking to a friend from Mullingar recently, I'm from Athlone and we were both giving out about the state of the road between the two. He said to me "that road is shocking and when you get to the end of it all that's there is Athlone"; I had more of less the same feeling about it regarding Mullingar. I doubt there's any great numbers commuting between the two although there'll be more when they close their army barracks.

That line is well beyond repair and has been since I was a kid. The cycleway idea is kinda nice but you'd be cycling from a couple of student estates to Sarsfield square and back. That'd be about as much fun as bouncing around St Mel's terrace on a pink pogo stick.

dya remember the day we almost walked to moate on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

I could have met you in moate the day I walked from Mullingar. The line is poor state but the fundamentals of space and capacity is very much evident

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

Maybe when they build Wrong Kong outside Athlone it will get used.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Oh_Noes wrote: »

They aren't good enough? Who do ye think ye are, it has last ye this time? They may be bad, but in no way does it justify spending a red cent on railway line that is not essential and is only needed for a few people, not now anyway. It still does not justify or explain the lack of Bus services between the two towns.

More close to the barracks, jesus it not Cork or Donegal that they are going to. Ask many Mullingar and Athlonians who travel to Dublin every day. I know whose sympathy I would share.

I see where what you are saying about the lack of visuals and the delight of old "lover's lane", but leave it for the tourists to worry about. There are actual bike - fitness freaks out there. If there is something good to go too, you will be surprised how many would take to the Bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

tourism and recreation

it is the only reason to re-open the railway line as a cycle and walk way

tourists boating on the Shannon could go for a day's cycling as far as Mullingar (they could bring bikes on the boats or hire them in Athlone)

families and other groups could go out for a safe cycle, knowing it would not be on the road

the cycle way could tie in with
    the Westmeath Way trail
    and the Royal Canal Way
    Mullaghmeen walkways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 irishrail201

I think the idea of reopening between Athlone and Mullingar is slightly mad varadkar has made it clear all funding will be put into existing rail lines....

The railway from Mullingar to Athlone was indeed double track......I think if Mullingar really does want an economic stimulus.....it could reopen as a railway centre (the abandoned part of Mullingar station and railway sheds) offering steam train rides up the line and contributing to the local economy.....a recent study in the UK has said that UK heritage railways provide £250m to the economy.....I know in Ireland it would probably be %1 of that! but still huge potential and your near Dublin.....it is the ONLY place such an operation would be viable and the RPSI have a base there as it is.

If the cycle way purists still want a cycleway they can as it was double track.....no problemo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Perhaps, but what if they wanted double track from Dublin to Galway (unlikely I know, but lets just talk theory here) they can't double up the existing line because you have this very thin gorge in Tullamore that is strictly one train only. Only option is to go via Mullingar or do something they haven't done since before the formation of the Irish Free State, lay down a completely new route from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 irishrail201

Interesting thoughts but if you look at Aecoms Irish rail 2030 report....... it advocates doubling of Portarlington to Athlone and regarded doubling and reopeningof the moate line as uneccessary

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Seen the plans for the Athlone-Mullingar cycle track. No particular details, but hopefully it's a start in moving the project forward. Also saw the plan for the Garrycastle bridge. Looks like it will be less of a nightmare to drive through.

Advertisement