Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a tv

Options
  • 26-11-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hey there!
    Just wondering has anyone seen good value on tvs round letterkenny, Im looking to buy a saorview approved, tv/dvd combi, with a usb port, size isn't too important however I don't want sonmething minature! Any ideas on value round town?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

There are not many saorview approved combis out there yet. There is a 26" Alba in the Argos stores. See it on Argos.ie 249 euros if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Talula_d wrote: »
    size isn't too important
    Damn! :(

But enough about that. Would you be better to wait a month and possibly get something a bit cheaper in the sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You'd be better of spending your money on a good TV and then buy a cheap DVD player on its own, combi units are expensive and you'll only be getting a budget screen TV. I bought my mum a full HD 32" samsung in Currys last year, its MPEG4 compatible and so picks up all the saorview channels, i think i aid €329 for it but not sure. You can pick a DVD player up for €20-30 if all you want is a basic player.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

I'm thinking of buying in the next week or so because of my housemates lack of interest in good tv!
    I would consider buying a dvd player, just thought it may be handy all-in-one!
    Thanks for the replies though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

I would also recommend buying a TV and DVD separate. I've had a few combis before and regret ever buying one. If one breaks, both are technically broken. At least with a cheap DVD player, if it breaks there's no effect on the TV.
    Haven't looked for a TV in a while, but recently got a basic DVD player in ASDA in the north for £18 and it hasn't give any trouble with quite a lot of use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

Yeah I suppose your right, better off getting them seperate!
    Thanks for the reply!

No problem. Also, if you do spot a TV you like, try to check out reviews online by the serial number. I bought a technika (tesco) TV a year ago as a monitor/TV for my office and find it good quality, but a pain to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be honest, I think with TVs you are better buying a reputable brand name such as Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, Toshiba, LG.

They tend to be better quality, and this includes the general operating software, on screen displays etc.

I think buying brands like Technika, Alba, Bush etc is false economy. They will be more likely to break down, not be as good quality due to cheaper components, and tend to be more awkward to use with more basic menu's etc.

They are enough good prices on the top brands out there without having to buy a Chinese clone.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think buying brands like Technika, Alba, Bush etc is false economy. They will be more likely to break down, not be as good quality due to cheaper components, and tend to be more awkward to use with more basic menu's etc.

That's my exact problem with the Technika. The resolution, build quality and power usage are are fine. The problem is the menus. Every time I turn the thing on it asks me to tune in the freeview channels (built in). It's not a big job to ignore, but shouldn't come up every time I turn it on.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic, but just echoing NIMAN's point that you get what you pay for, and the cheaper makes will have more chance of coming with niggling little annoyances or faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Solas8

Where is the best place to buy a saorview 42" Panasonic, Samsung, Toshiba. Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

Solas8 wrote: »
    Where is the best place to buy a saorview 42" Panasonic, Samsung, Toshiba. Thanks in advance
    Irwins in letterkenny are hard to beat very reasonable to deal with!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

mk2 wrote: »
    Solas8 wrote: »
    Irwins in letterkenny are hard to beat very reasonable to deal with!
    Agreed.
    I got a Panasonic there a couple of years ago cheaper than anywhere online.
    They delivered that evening and are very nice to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

I got an LG 32" plasma at xmas in cash saver (the old cash converters) derry for only £150 sterling.. great deal imo if second hand..cheapest prices for LCD/plasmas that ive saw anywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    I got an LG 32" plasma at xmas in cash saver (the old cash converters) derry for only £150 sterling.. great deal imo if second hand..cheapest prices for LCD/plasmas that ive saw anywhere!

It was decent enough alright. Don't think it will be of any use to the OP though as any TV bought in NI won't have saorview built it, it will have the UK digital built in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

It was decent enough alright. Don't think it will be of any use to the OP though as any TV bought in NI won't have saorview built it, it will have the UK digital built in ;)

yeah thats true thats what mine has.. i was told before that i could get UK freeview here but i knew that wasnt the case at my address.. i use a skybox but i will have to get a saorview box when the analogue goes offline later in the year to carry on getting RTE etc.. i dunno why they couldnt have kept saorview the same frequency as the uk freeview..would save a lot off hassle imo!!

Many of the new tv,s on sale in north will recieve saorview no problem, especially the samsung and lg models. If you are in an area that can recieve (or may recieve after october) uk freeview you should do some research on uk freeview hd televisions before you buy.
    However with the current sterling rate there is very little difference in price therefore you should consider buying locally if possible, Irwins gets my vote as well.
    Whatever you do , dont buy the wrong tv now, do some research.
    On boards go to the Tech- cable & digital tv- terrestial forum for advice.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd agree to stick with brand names alright (though some Toshiba models aren't any better than some budget brands now). IME, Sony seem to be a bit fussier on what codecs they'll playback via USB, compared to the less fussy Samsung and LG brands.

Other than Irwins, also consider Ben Sweeney, Currys, Reynolds Sony Centre (even Tesco, Argos and Dunnes sell some TV's though I'd recommend to stick with proper electrical retailers). Shop around and go with whoever has the best "bang for buck!" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

byte wrote: »
    I'd agree to stick with brand names alright (though some Toshiba models aren't any better than some budget brands now). IME, Sony seem to be a bit fussier on what codecs they'll playback via USB, compared to the less fussy Samsung and LG brands.

Other than Irwins, also consider Ben Sweeney, Currys, Reynolds Sony Centre (even Tesco, Argos and Dunnes sell some TV's though I'd recommend to stick with proper electrical retailers). Shop around and go with whoever has the best "bang for buck!" :)

I think there has been a new development in the TV manufacturing world in recent times of major brands farming out some of their lower range models to be made by 3rd parties. I have read that some Toshibas, Sonys, Sharps can be made by these people, whereas they will make some of their higher/better quality ones themselves.

Slightly worrying development.

Another thing to consider is that almost all the tv,s nowadays are of the picture frame variety and are attempting to be as thin as possible, especially the led,s. This has resulted in the sound quality being absolute rubbish because there isnt room for decent speakers, even on the big name models.
    Check out the sound quality on any tv that you may be thinking of buying or you may end up very disappointed when you get it home.

Advertisement