Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Default Gateway & DNS Server Error when connection

• 26-11-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭

I am on UPC Broadband and its not a Broadband question really.

Every time I turn on my PC(using Windows 7) the connection does not connect and I keep getting the reason

The Default Gateway is not available & or The DNS Server is not responding

I troubleshoot it and then it connects and drops then troubleshoot again and it eventually works

Googled and there are many solutions but nothing definitive. Anyone experienced this and what was their solution?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭holcus

have you tried on different PCs? have you tried via ethernet cable?

recreate the problem, run cmd and type ipconfig /all. copy and paste everything it displays here.

also try setting fixed DNS server addresses for your network device. Google has a public DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 It helped me many times with issues UPC had with DNS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

holcus wrote: »
    have you tried on different PCs? have you tried via ethernet cable?

recreate the problem, run cmd and type ipconfig /all. copy and paste everything it displays here.

also try setting fixed DNS server addresses for your network device. Google has a public DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 It helped me many times with issues UPC had with DNS

Have a laptop,netbook and Android and Itouch and no issue with them just with desktop PC. I have an ethernet cable on the pc. On the network connections it has connections : Local Area connection and Wireless Network connection this correct? Dont need wireless as have cable from router into PC?

Not sure if this is the issue and if so any solutions? Also how to change the DNS server is it under Internet Protocol V6 or v4 as these are both ticked?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Disable the wireless connection. it's not a good idea to have two connections to the same sub net on the same machine,

It's fine if you are connecting to two different networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I am on UPC Broadband and its not a Broadband question really.

Every time I turn on my PC(using Windows 7) the connection does not connect and I keep getting the reason

The Default Gateway is not available & or The DNS Server is not responding

I troubleshoot it and then it connects and drops then troubleshoot again and it eventually works

Googled and there are many solutions but nothing definitive. Anyone experienced this and what was their solution?

Thanks

this is a common issue with upc's cisco router and vista/win 7 machines... XP doesnt seem to be affected by it.

open up your adapter card settings in win 7 and manually set your primary dns to 8.8.8.8 and secondary dns to 8.8.4.4

your default gateway address is the address of the router (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1)
    this will resolve it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

this is a common issue with upc's cisco router and vista/win 7 machines... XP doesnt seem to be affected by it.

open up your adapter card settings in win 7 and manually set your primary dns to 8.8.8.8 and secondary dns to 8.8.4.4

your default gateway address is the address of the router (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1)
    this will resolve it for you.

Thanks

Do I change this for both

Internet Protocol Version 6(TCP/Ipv6) & Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/Ipv4)

Both options are ticked in Local Area connection properties

• Advertisement
Advertisement