Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racism

• 26-11-2011 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Does the racism card be played when ,what ever culture or nationality (travellers,non nationals,non whites,muslim,non catholic,etc)might not get whatever it thinks it should get ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

scatter wrote: »
    Does the racism card be played when ,what ever culture or nationality (travellers,non nationals,non whites,muslim,non catholic,etc)might not get whatever it thinks it should get ?

I dunno I've got a white sheet over my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

OP you have no idea what racism is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yes and no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭scatter

Kasabian wrote: »
    OP you have no idea what racism is.
    Why dont i ?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

I've lost my racism card.

Where do I get another one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I have a deck of racism cards with which I play poker with my black friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ojola

Sorry I don't understand your question. Could you clarify please... Also what is the purpose of your question? what are u trying to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Dunno about racism, but I reckon it's pure unadulterated ageism when no one will send me a PM explaining in simple terms that even a doddering aul' fool like me can understand how to embed a YouTube video.:rolleyes:

This is one very relevant to the theme of the thread::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgASBVMyVFI

Why dont i ?:confused:

I don't know. Poorly educated maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I think that, too often, people impute a racist motivation when there may not be one. The incident during the week where the black girl was raped is a good example. Nothing at all to suggest that race was a factor, and yet that's how it was reported in some outlets. Beyond such incidents, I think people are confused as to the term racism itself. The statement of the mayor of Naas during the week was appalling, but did it amount to racism? Yes, he was unfairly tarring a group of people of the same colour/ethnicity, but was he doing because he hated people of that ethnicity, or felt superior to them? I don't really think so. So yeah, I do think racism is invoked to frivolously. last night, for example, there was a piece on RTE about racism towards taxi drivers, and it focused on the deadly assault on a Nigerian taxi driver in Dublin this week. Yet the same report acknowledged that there was no suggestion that race was a factor. Why raise it then, as though it were a factor?:confused:

The real problem is that words like racism and genocide should have the power to shock and stop people in their tracks. When we use them in a flippant manner, they gradually lose that ability so that genuine acts of both become conflated with exaggerated reports, and people begin to take them less seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Does the racism card be played

Cletus?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

No it does not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I played my racism card to get into my college library didnt bloody work i blame the immigrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'd fall into 2 of the categories above and I never play the race card

Einhard wrote: »
    I think that, too often, people impute a racist motivation when there may not be one. The incident during the week where the black girl was raped is a good example. Nothing at all to suggest that race was a factor, and yet that's how it was reported in some outlets. Beyond such incidents, I think people are confused as to the term racism itself. The statement of the mayor of Naas during the week was appalling, but did it amount to racism? Yes, he was unfairly tarring a group of people of the same colour/ethnicity, but was he doing because he hated people of that ethnicity, or felt superior to them? I don't really think so. So yeah, I do think racism is invoked to frivolously. last night, for example, there was a piece on RTE about racism towards taxi drivers, and it focused on the deadly assault on a Nigerian taxi driver in Dublin this week. Yet the same report acknowledged that there was no suggestion that race was a factor. Why raise it then, as though it were a factor?:confused:

The real problem is that words like racism and genocide should have the power to shock and stop people in their tracks. When we use them in a flippant manner, they gradually lose that ability so that genuine acts of both become conflated with exaggerated reports, and people begin to take them less seriously.

While I agree with most of your submissions above, I have a question for you. Do you know how many dubs get out of a taxi when they realise the driver is black? do you know how many times a black taxi driver get refused on a taxi rank although he is first on a queue? do you know how many times A black taxi drivers car door get slammed after he has been hailed after the discovery that he is black?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In fairness, yeah it can be - resulting in actual racism not being taken as seriously.

Can we differentiate between racism and ethnic profilling please....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oranage2 wrote: »

I'd fall into 2 of the categories above and I never play the race card
    Muslim traveller?

Dudess wrote: »
    Muslim traveller?

We exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Damn white Irish driver just cut me up! :mad:

Pherekydes wrote: »

how do you know he is Irish? his number plates or his looks?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

No OP, obviously it's not played in every situation where someone who basically isn't white and "Western" wants something, though of course it is played in a minority of cases.

It seems a strange question to ask really: how can anyone answer for every case?

ojola wrote: »
    While I agree with most of your submissions above, I have a question for you. Do you know how many dubs get out of a taxi when they realise the driver is black? do you know how many times a black taxi driver get refused on a taxi rank although he is first on a queue? do you know how many times A black taxi drivers car door get slammed after he has been hailed after the discovery that he is black?

No answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Dunno about racism, but I reckon it's pure unadulterated ageism when no one will send me a PM explaining in simple terms that even a doddering aul' fool like me can understand how to embed a YouTube video.:rolleyes:

This is one very relevant to the theme of the thread::)

LOL took me about 1000 posts to figure it out

So paste after the = sign

CgASBVMyVFI

(youtube)CgASBVMyVFI(/youtube)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Is this not the most obvious answer ever?

Does the racism card get played sometimes: Of course
    Is it played every time? Of course not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I haven't a clue. I'm sure it happens quite a lot but my point wasn't about racism against taxi drivers in general, but rather RTE insinuating that an incident was racist when that was not the case.

Also, I'm not sure that all the behaviour you mention above necessarily constitutes racism. Of course, there are neanderthals who judge people as inferior based on ethnicity or skin colour, but there are other motivations behind such despicable actions. For example, I've found myself that foreign taxi drivers often have less of a knowledge of Dublin than Irish ones. Also, many people resent the fact that, as they see it, foreigners are taking Irish jobs, and I imagine that motivates a lot of what you described above. But that is not racism. It's idiotic IMO, but not racism.

I'm not stating that racism never occurs, but that quite often we attribute racist intent to people whose motivations lie elsewhere.
    No answer?

Didn't think it'd be wise to take my laptop into the shower with me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

In my experience, yes a lot of times it is.

I posted about this more than once... Again speaking from experience, if I stop a black African at the door of a pub or club the race card is immediately thrown at me, and quite aggressively too - its a minefield and I'm very careful of my actions and what I say.

Member's of the travelling community will play it too, I'm 50/50 on this one.

Whilst I know they can be troublesome, personally speaking (again) I've only been in one row with traveler's in a bar and it was caused by a DJ making a stupid joke about traveler's.

Another minority I'd regularly have dealings with are Roma gypsy, who I've NEVER seen play the race card - if their told to stop selling rose's or begging around a pub/club door they'll leave and won't cause trouble.

Same as you get the Roma trying to come in dressed in suits, or as a couple - they know that we know what their game is and a nod or a simple 'no' and they'll leave so as not to draw attention to themselves.

There ya go OP, is that what you want?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

He was eating spuds and drinking a Guinness! :pac:

• Advertisement

I don't know. Poorly educated maybe?
    silly person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Hard to know you can`t tell if your the victim of it if people have a pre-disposed idea based on your race unless their really obvious. I`m mixed race and I`ve experience racism through my life have never played "the card" thou just cause their idiots doesn`t mean I`m going to be.

silly person

Ah you are grand, just read up a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Quite often it is played by people who aren't the focus of racism. Some people tend to get offended on behalf of certain groups when they themselves are not offended.

In my experience, yes a lot of times it is.

I posted about this more than once... Again speaking from experience, if I stop a black African at the door of a pub or club the race card is immediately thrown at me, and quite aggressively too - its a minefield and I'm very careful of my actions and what I say.

Member's of the travelling community will play it too, I'm 50/50 on this one.

Whilst I know they can be troublesome, personally speaking (again) I've only been in one row with traveler's in a bar and it was caused by a DJ making a stupid joke about traveler's.

Another minority I'd regularly have dealings with are Roma gypsy, who I've NEVER seen play the race card - if their told to stop selling rose's or begging around a pub/club door they'll leave and won't cause trouble.

Same as you get the Roma trying to come in dressed in suits, or as a couple - they know that we know what their game is and a nod or a simple 'no' and they'll leave so as not to draw attention to themselves.

There ya go OP, is that what you want?.
    I am black... i worked as a doorman in Dublin for fifteen years in many dublin spots and I must say I get accused of racism regularly for not letting people in despite the fact that majority of callers inside wherever I was working were white. Would I say that is playing the race card? No, I would just say that is the myopic view of a drunken guy that just got denied entry into a place.

I am black... i worked as a doorman in Dublin for fifteen years in many dublin spots and I must say I get accused of racism regularly for not letting people in despite the fact that majority of callers inside wherever I was working were white. Would I say that is playing the race card? No, I would just say that is the myopic view of a drunken guy that just got denied entry inot a place.

Oh I worked with a black lad too and almost every weekend he'd be told to "fvck off back to your own country" and other bollox like that.

I've had it when I'm working on a club door and stop a Dub and the idiot immediately points out that the place is full of "fvcking Brits".

There are idiots everyone.

I've also turned out on its head once or twice by pretending I'm Polish with no english (I'm big with a shaved head).

• Advertisement

Story time. I got off the ferry @ holyhead driving my ten year old reliable, I however got pulled over by the UK border force who tried their best not to annoy me. Driving towards a guy that flagged me down, I noticed that he was looking at a piece of paper, probably reading my car description and plate number. I pulled over they asked for ID I provided my drivers licence which was rejected as my place of birth did not say Ireland. the official assumed I had no visa however I pulled out my passport and viola the attitude changed and my passport was returned to me and you could hear her referring to me as a sir. I was quickly waved on. is that racism? I say not. That is ethnic profiling in action,

I only tend to be half racist against mixed race folk.

If a person has one grandparent of a different race to the master race I let them off.

I will attempt to differentiate between racism and ethnic profiling.

I hate XYZ people = racism

XYZ people behave like this = ethnic profiling.

I would rather not serve these people for whatever reason = ethnic profiling therefore, Scully is guilty of ethnic profiling.

I only tend to be half racist against mixed race folk.

If a person has one grandparent of a different race to the master race I let them off.

Political safety & health & correctness gone mad again?

Political safety & health & correctness gone mad again?

Lol yeah. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Pherekydes wrote: »

Her driving skills. :pac:

Story time. I got off the ferry @ holyhead driving my ten year old reliable, I however got pulled over by the UK border force who tried their best not to annoy me. Driving towards a guy that flagged me down, I noticed that he was looking at a piece of paper, probably reading my car description and plate number. I pulled over they asked for ID I provided my drivers licence which was rejected as my place of birth did not say Ireland. the official assumed I had no visa however I pulled out my passport and viola the attitude changed and my passport was returned to me and you could hear her referring to me as a sir. I was quickly waved on. is that racism? I say not. That is ethnic profiling in action,

During the early to mid eighties I used to travel (by ferry) betweem Ireland and Liverpool & Holyhead every few months.

I almost lost count the number of times I was questioned under the Prevention of Terrorism Act (UK).

I think we're all guilty of profiling, racism on the other hand sicken's me.

In my time in the army I've served oversea's with Ghanian's, Fijian's, Nepolese, Swed's, Japanese and Indian's to name but a few.. I've also had dealings with Israeli Jew's, Palestinians and Lebanese. Kosovan's & Serbs etc and never once did I think one was any less a human than I or was any less equal.

But thats going right off the subject.

I think its sad when the race card is immediately played, all reasoning with a person goes right out the window.. I hate it.

Ah you are grand, just read up a little more.
    I will get a book that has pictures,coloured ones at that ! After all it couldnt be black and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

LOL
    "might not get whatever it thinks it should get"

It does happen, but sometimes there is a case of genuine racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Well, I suppose your question is spawned from last week's incident of that Mayor who stepped down.

It was fiercely interesting to listen to all the follow on talk shows where many other nationalities called in in support of the Mayor's views.

The conclusion I have is that there is one section amongst all the various races and cultures both here and in the UK who are considered racist by almost everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

No answer?

Would it have anything to do with most black taxi driver's ask you for directions? or that most taxi's I've been in that are driven by black guys they always have a sat nav....

Or possibly the FACT that some black taxi driver's do not have to undergo the extensive back round checks indigenous taxi driver's do, This was pointed out some years ago by the rep from the taxi federation i.e how can a proper check be done on a African applicant. Now if you have an issue with this post that's fine,if you think it has any kind of racist slant that's also fine. I am giving my opinion and giving facts from my own experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Its pretty rarely that Ive encountered people "playing the race card" however in my experience those who do tend to be the most racist people I have the misfortune of knowing.

e.g. a Pakistani guy who hates Jews/Indians/Africans yet attributes any misfortune which befalls him (regardless of whether or not it is his own fault- which it usually is) to somebody being "racist".
    I hate XYZ people = racism

XYZ people behave like this = ethnic profiling stupid generalizations

FYP !

not yet wrote: »
    Would it have anything to do with most black taxi driver's ask you for directions? or that most taxi's I've been in that are driven by black guys they always have a sat nav....

Or possibly the FACT that some black taxi driver's do not have to undergo the extensive back round checks indigenous taxi driver's do, This was pointed out some years ago by the rep from the taxi federation i.e how can a proper check be done on a African applicant. Now if you have an issue with this post that's fine,if you think it has any kind of racist slant that's also fine. I am giving my opinion and giving facts from my own experiences.
    Please do not prempt my perception of your post. It is almost as bad as assumimng what a person would say before they say it.

Also I will have you note that the background checks are not any different irrespective of where prospective taxi drivers come from. Also do you know how many new estates sprang up during the celtic tiger boom days? What is wrong with a guy having a backup plan peradventure he needs it. Also Sat Navs have more than 1 use, they can also be bluetooth units used for mobile communications.

Your reasoning above are those raised by xenophobes in the taxi industry who would rather keep irish jobs for the Indigenous Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Hi Darren

Another story. I was working one night; I had the pleasure of a taxi driver friend of mine waiting for a fare at the hotel taht I worked in. He kept complaining about the number of taxi drivers on the road and how the business had been destroyed by foreigners. I listened for so long and after a while I decided to shut him up: how did I do it? I asked him a few questions.

1. How long does it take to train to become a taxi driver? Not very long ( a few days actually)

2. How long does it take to train to be a security guard? Not very long either.

3. How long does it take to be a brain surgeon or a doctor or an astronaught? Very very long.

4. which jobs are safer? of course we all know his answer.

My point being in a recession,people that lose their jobs would descend on the low level jobs. Jobs that need just little training.

I told him to do what people do when their earnings are not enough, get a 2nd job or change careers. that is what majority of people do in society. Why not the taxi industry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement