Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racism

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

ojola wrote: »
    How long does it take to train to become a taxi driver? Not very long ( a few days actually)

Assuming of course one can drive in the first place :D

Agree though the number of (particularly older) taxi drivers with an inflated sense of entitlement thinking the world owes them a living is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think people are missing the real elephant in the room that Irish people by enlarge are racist -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I think people are missing the real elephant in the room that Irish people by enlarge are racist -
    I don't know whether that's true. It sometimes seems to me just something Irish people like to say in a self flagellating way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I think people are missing the real elephant in the room that Irish people by enlarge are discriminatory

Sorry for the FYP.

Sorry for the FYP.

If you FYP - white people then you'd have been on the money.

If you FYP - white people then you'd have been on the money.

Not sure I understand.

Do you mean that white people are more discriminatory than non-whites?

Is that not a prejudiced view to hold itself!

Not sure I understand.

Do you mean that white people are more discriminatory than non-whites?

Is that not a prejudiced view to hold itself!

Well this must be a big room because there's many elephants in it but yes that's exactly what I'm saying - by enlarge only white people can be racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

Well this must be a big room because there's many elephants in it but yes that's exactly what I'm saying - by enlarge only white people can be racist.

That is shyte... a bigot can be any colour. You are playing right into the hands of the people the OP is talking about, cause they are there too.

I don't know if there have been any studies done on it but I can't imagine that non-whites would be any less prejudiced than whites.

White folk might have more opportunity to express their prejudices i.e. discriminate because 'we' have more power and control of resources.

BTW - is that elephant in the room an African or Asian one? I find Asian Elephants are severely underrepresented in the media.

• Advertisement

BTW - is that elephant in the room an African or Asian one? I find Asian Elephants are severely underrepresented in the media.

It doesnt matter to me as I'm not a racist - I'll take the elephant at face value without the racial profiling that your so hell bent on doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It doesnt matter to me as I'm not a racist - I'll take the elephant at face value without the racial profiling that your so hell bent on doing.

One does not need much help tbh ~ stereotypical reinforcements are aired every day.

gbee wrote: »
    One does not need much help tbh ~ stereotypical reinforcements are aired every day.

I suppose but it shouldnt be the way gbee - we should be allowed live in a world without prejudice - Sometimes a tear drips down my face when I think of children growing nowadays so innocent but yet so subjected to intolerance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Sorry for the FYP.

If you're going to fix his post then fix it, for God's sake.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    If you're going to fix his post then fix it, for God's sake.

Please explain. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Can you be racist towards taxi drivers? I am since they got my car clamped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Another story. I was working one night; I had the pleasure of a taxi driver friend of mine waiting for a fare at the hotel taht I worked in. He kept complaining about the number of taxi drivers on the road and how the business had been destroyed by foreigners. I listened for so long and after a while I decided to shut him up: how did I do it? I asked him a few questions.

1. How long does it take to train to become a taxi driver? Not very long ( a few days actually)

2. How long does it take to train to be a security guard? Not very long either.

3. How long does it take to be a brain surgeon or a doctor or an astronaught? Very very long.

4. which jobs are safer? of course we all know his answer.

My point being in a recession,people that lose their jobs would descend on the low level jobs. Jobs that need just little training.

I told him to do what people do when their earnings are not enough, get a 2nd job or change careers. that is what majority of people do in society. Why not the taxi industry.

Well I can tell you your talking out your asre.........

A relative of mine works in the dept that does these checks and he has told me on numerous occasions that it is near on impossible to get full details of the individual if they come from certain parts of Nigeria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

not yet wrote: »
    Would it have anything to do with most black taxi driver's ask you for directions? or that most taxi's I've been in that are driven by black guys they always have a sat nav....

Or possibly the FACT that some black taxi driver's do not have to undergo the extensive back round checks indigenous taxi driver's do, This was pointed out some years ago by the rep from the taxi federation i.e how can a proper check be done on a African applicant. Now if you have an issue with this post that's fine,if you think it has any kind of racist slant that's also fine. I am giving my opinion and giving facts from my own experiences.

Not a racist slant - more a stupidity slant, why do you keep getting into taxi's that you seem to have such a problem with!?
    Have you any issues with White Africans btw?

A relative of mine works in the dept that does these checks and he has told me on numerous occasions that it is near on impossible to get full details of the individual if they come from certain parts of Nigeria.

Could that not be because Nigeria has a less developed state bureaucracy rather than any sinister reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

kerash wrote: »

Funny you ask about white african because I`ve never met one of them who wasn`t racist - I`m mixed race and they represent a large amount of the racism I`ve encountered.

Please explain. :confused:

Here. Don't say I never do anything for yez:
    I think people are missing the real elephant in the room that Irish people, by enlarge and large, are like people everywhere else.

• Advertisement

Ah... that would be a grammatical fix. I avoid correcting grammar seeing as I have imperfect grammar myself. :)

Well you'd be wrong -different culture can be very different -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

scatter wrote: »
    Does the racism card be played when ,what ever culture or nationality (travellers,non nationals,non whites,muslim,non catholic,etc)might not get whatever it thinks it should get ?

Would it not be the discrimination card as opposed to the racism card for most of those in your post?

chasm wrote: »
    Would it not be the discrimination card as opposed to the racism card for most of those in your post?

You're on the ball. There's a lot of misunderstanding around these words and terms and they do take some mulling over to get your head wrapped around them.

Prejudice exists only in thought.

Discrimination is an external representation of prejudice expressed through behaviour.

Not a racist slant - more a stupidity slant, why do you keep getting into taxi's that you seem to have such a problem with!?

Stop asking stupid fcuking questions........

I'm giving opinions based on my experiences simple as. but then again If your opinions don't fit in with people who don't want any kind of open debate then your a racist, ah it fits a easily.

Could that not be because Nigeria has a less developed state bureaucracy rather than any sinister reason?

Regardless of the reason it still stands that the information is very difficult to get..which was my original point.

I never intimated that the reason was sinister, but then again don't let fact stand in the way of your opinions.

Well you'd be wrong -different culture can be very different -

"People are all the same, except when they are different. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I'm giving opinions based on my experiences simple as. but then again If your opinions don't fit in with people who don't want any kind of open debate then your a racist, ah it fits a easily.

I didn't call you a racist I asked a question in line with an open debate. If you can't answer with a bit of manners I'll not engage with you any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ojola

You are quite rude. what manner of communication is this? This is unacceptable. Also can you (if you can manage it) tell me what your posting has to do with what you have quoted above?

Furthermore. I guess by you rudeness what circles you frequent, your so called relative could be a xenophobe or an agent of the Taxi drivers union so averse to Foreigners getting into the trade.

Read my post one more time and fault any logic there in.

born rude I will say. Did you not say it was based on hearsay? in your own words "A relative of mine works in the dept that does these checks and he has told me on numerous occasions that it is near on impossible to get full details of the individual if they come from certain parts of Nigeria" pure hearsay. Stop contradicting yourself mate.

• Advertisement

I didn't call you a racist I asked a question in line with an open debate. If you can't answer with a bit of manners I'll not engage with you any further.

Hi Kerash. when we step out into open waters of debate on a fublic forum like this. we are bound to meet people that are the epitome of a civilized way of communicating and others who are trying to be while also we would encounter peole lacking the ability to think logically and properly without the verbal skills to argue their point without resorting to abuse or verbal violence. All we can do is not take it to mean anything. Everytime they do as our friend has done above, we take it as a victory. Let him show himself for who he is.

If we stop engaing people like this. Others will read their ugly posts and without anybody to point out the falacies of thought others might tend to start believing their trash as gospel truth. Please do not stop engaging.

To Not Yet ...... Man has advanced so far from the caves of history because we dare ask questions. For a man that claims to be 43 and a brain surgeon you surprise me....

parrai wrote: »
    a bigot can be any colour.

Totall correct matey.

You are quite rude. what manner of communication is this? This is unacceptable. Also can you (if you can manage it) tell me what your posting has to do with what you have quoted above?

Furthermore. I guess by you rudeness what circles you frequent, your so called relative could be a xenophobe or an agent of the Taxi drivers union so averse to Foreigners getting into the trade.

Read my post one more time and fault any logic there in.

Well you can guess away, I have no connections as such with any taxi union or the like.....but you just carry on making it up as you go along.

And just on a point of clarity, The agents of the state do these back round checks, so your calling these agencies xenophobic, feel free to clarify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

If saying I'm not a racist but.... at the start of a sentence automatically makes you a racist, then surely saying I AM a racist but... makes you not one.

Hi Kerash. when we step out into open waters of debate on a fublic forum like this. we are bound to meet people that are the epitome of a civilized way of communicating and others who are trying to be while also we would encounter peole lacking the ability to think logically and properly without the verbal skills to argue their point without resorting to abuse or verbal violence. All we can do is not take it to mean anything. Everytime they do as our friend has done above, we take it as a victory. Let him show himself for who he is.

If we stop engaing people like this. Others will read their ugly posts and without anybody to point out the falacies of thought others might tend to start believing their trash as gospel truth. Please do not stop engaging.

To Not Yet ...... Man has advanced so far from the caves of history because we dare ask questions. For a man that claims to be 43 and a brain surgeon you surprise me....
    Just to be a little pedantic................First of all if you '' CHECKED'' my join date and add that to my age at the time, you would know my age, secondly, If you used after hours for any period of time you would get the irony/sarcasm in my description of my job.

So there ya go, you need to get onto a serious debate platform if you don't want to be offended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

We are? I'm sure you have plenty of statistical evidence to back this claim up...

:confused: Only white people can be racist? What an ignorant statement to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Einhard wrote: »
    :confused: Only white people can be racist? What an ignorant statement to make.

That one comes up often and I don't know why!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

OJ,

Could I ask what are your opinions on Nigerian asylum seekers arriving in Ireland over the past 10 years, when it is clearly stated that all AS should seek refugee status in the first safe country they arrive in.....

This country could not have been Ireland, as there are no direct flights into Ireland from Nigeria, I'd also like to to ask your opinion on why If someone leaves a country because their life is under threat etc, do they then go back to that country on holiday or to complete some business. These are legitimate questions so please don't throw the race card into this particular question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

racism is alive and kicking in dublin city and its getting worser each year. the amount of racism ive witnessed over the past 2 nights is madness. my mates refuse to get a taxi home if the driver is black. also on friday night i saw 14 black teenagers smashing up cars and attacking people, then about 4 garda came and smashed the teens around with bats. i also heard one of the garda saying the word black bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

OJ,

Could I ask what are your opinions on Nigerian asylum seekers arriving in Ireland over the past 10 years, when it is clearly stated that all AS should seek refugee status in the first safe country they arrive in.....

This country could not have been Ireland, as there are no direct flights into Ireland from Nigeria, I'd also like to to ask your opinion on why If someone leaves a country because their life is under threat etc, do they then go back to that country on holiday or to complete some business. These are legitimate questions so please don't throw the race card into this particular question.
    You wont get an answer to these questions because the truth does not make comfortable bedfellows with the liberal PC agenda. These are economic migrants, pure and simple. I must stress that there is nothing wrong with being an economic migrant but there IS something wrong with abusing the asylum process for economic purposes.
    Many Nigerians here are now Irish citizens and as such can safely fly back to Nigeria for business or holidays without visa or imigration hassle. I work in the airport and deal with them on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sky King wrote: »
    If saying I'm not a racist but.... at the start of a sentence automatically makes you a racist, then surely saying I AM a racist but... makes you not one.
    Yeah, it's boring when people pounce on that one every time. Most of the time, the person who says it actually isn't a racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

OJ,

This country could not have been Ireland, as there are no direct flights into Ireland from Nigeria

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59465073&postcount=3

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

ricero wrote: »
    i also heard one of the garda saying the word black bastard.

Calling someone a "black bastard" isn't necessarily racist. Lots of Irish people will throw in an adjective before an expletive, and quite often it will be a reference to an obvious feature of the person at whom they are having a go. Calling someone a ginger pr*ck generally doesn't imply any hatred of redheads, and in my experience replacing the ginger with black or a reference to nationality doesn't always imply racist intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

I'm not a racist but....

I can't help but notice there was never a racism problem in this country until all them foreigners started coming here.

Dartz wrote: »
    I'm not a racist but....

I can't help but notice there was never a racism problem in this country until all them foreigners started coming here.

wow wow wow... well said pardner... I subscribe to just saying it the way I feel it. It is not saying it that is the problem. It is feeling and thinking it that is the problem.

• Advertisement

scatter wrote: »
    Does the racism card be played when ,what ever culture or nationality (travellers,non nationals,non whites,muslim,non catholic,etc)might not get whatever it thinks it should get ?

QUESTION: why are we focusing on assylum seeking and Nigeria when the thread was stared to focus on the topic quoted above.
    QUESTION: What has Not Yet got against Nigerians, assylum seekers and Foreigners?

wow wow wow... well said pardner... I subscribe to just saying it the way I feel it. It is not saying it that is the problem. It is feeling and thinking it that is the problem.

That's nice to know....

How about saying it as it is and responding to post 91.

QUESTION: why are we focusing on assylum seeking and Nigeria when the thread was stared to focus on the topic quoted above.
    QUESTION: What has Not Yet got against Nigerians, assylum seekers and Foreigners?

Simple really....

The large influx of mainly Nigerian asylum seekers have contributed to the rise of racism in Ireland. so if we are debating this subject I would assume all areas that have an impact on it should be debated.

Oh I see...because I ask questions on how someone can arrive in Ireland when it clearly states asylum should be sought in the first country reached I have a problem...classic smoke and mirrors.

You wont get an answer to these questions because the truth does not make comfortable bedfellows with the liberal PC agenda. These are economic migrants, pure and simple. I must stress that there is nothing wrong with being an economic migrant but there IS something wrong with abusing the asylum process for economic purposes.
    Many Nigerians here are now Irish citizens and as such can safely fly back to Nigeria for business or holidays without visa or imigration hassle. I work in the airport and deal with them on a daily basis.

That's the simple question I'm asking....Is Nigeria now safe for returning asylum seekers? Or does it simply mean They were not asylum seekers in the first place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement