Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racism

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Petre

Liberal ideology is rampant in this country; the minority is always the vicim no matter the circumstance. Women are included in the minority category, which is bizarre seeing as they make up a majority of the population.

If you are in a country whose culture is non-Zionist controlled like China for example, if a foreigner is in a dispute with a Chinese person, all other locals will side with the Chinese person. But in Ireland, and I've seen it happen, a foreigner is more likely to be sided with over a local. And we all know what happens if a woman is perceived to be being in any way negatively affected by a man's actions; the women will be sided with unquestionably. In other cultures where men are thought to posses the better judgement, the man will be assumed righteous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Petre wrote: »
    Liberal ideology is rampant in this country; the minority is always the vicim no matter the circumstance. Women are included in the minority category, which is bizarre seeing as they make up a majority of the population.

If you are in a country whose culture is non-Zionist controlled like China for example, if a foreigner is in a dispute with a Chinese person, all other locals will side with the Chinese person. But in Ireland, and I've seen it happen, a foreigner is more likely to be sided with over a local. And we all know what happens if a woman is perceived to be being in any way negatively affected by a man's actions; the women will be sided with unquestionably. In other cultures where men are thought to posses the better judgement, the man will be assumed righteous.

****ing Zionists.

Ruining it for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

The LUAS driver,Oriyomi Emmanuel, pulled the race card during the week.

He broke down while looking at the CCTV evidence, the herald reports:

"The accused told interviewing gardai he had given up a marriage to get the job and also quit smoking and drinking. He added that it was very difficult for a black man to get such a job."

He was let off.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0424/luas-driver-denies-dangerous-driving.html

The only race problem there, was due to the fact he was in a race to get across the road. Veolia, who are in charge of the operation, are far from a racist company. From travelling on the LUAS, their staff are very diverse.

Part of a worldwide transport group we employ over 280 people in Ireland and transported 27.4 million passengers safely on Luas last year. Worldwide we operate in 28 countries, employ over 119,000 people and transport over 3.3 billion passengers annually.

Doesnt sound like a racist company to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

Why wouldn't you play the race card when you're in a country that is absolutely terrified of being called racists, so much so that they'll do anything in their power to avoid it, pretty much regardless of the cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

IrishAm wrote: »
    The LUAS driver,Oriyomi Emmanuel, pulled the race card during the week.

He broke down while looking at the CCTV evidence, the herald reports:

"The accused told interviewing gardai he had given up a marriage to get the job and also quit smoking and drinking. He added that it was very difficult for a black man to get such a job."

He was let off.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0424/luas-driver-denies-dangerous-driving.html

The only race problem there, was due to the fact he was in a race to get across the road. Veolia, who are in charge of the operation, are far from a racist company. From travelling on the LUAS, their staff are very diverse.

Part of a worldwide transport group we employ over 280 people in Ireland and transported 27.4 million passengers safely on Luas last year. Worldwide we operate in 28 countries, employ over 119,000 people and transport over 3.3 billion passengers annually.

Doesnt sound like a racist company to me.

You are blatantly twisting the facts of the case as established by the evidence presented to the court.
    A LUAS driver who crashed into a bus injuring 21 people has been acquitted of dangerous conduct by direction of the trial judge.

Oriyomi Emmanuel was told he was free to go after the judge ruled there were gaps in the evidence and that it would be unsafe to allow the jury to decide on the case.

Mr Emmanuel (39), Jamestown Park, Ratoath, Co Meath, had pleaded not guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to the unsafe operation of a tram at the junction of Middle Abbey Street and O’Connell Street, Dublin, on September 16th, 2009.

Judge Mary Ellen Ring said there was a discrepancy between the evidence presented by the Garda crash investigator and the Luas investigator concerning the distance the tram was from the signal when it stopped at the junction.

This was “central to the case” because evidence had been presented that there was a shadow cast on the signal which grew worse as the tram got closer to it.

LINK

Since you are so sure that he was in a race to get across the road you should have presented the evidence that you no doubt possess to the Gardai and to Veolia.

• Advertisement

Gyalist wrote: »
    You are blatantly twisting the facts of the case as established by the evidence presented to the court.

Did he or did he not play the race card in the court room?

I heard Rodney King played the race card as well.

I heard Rodney King played the race card as well.

Who is Rodney King?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

From your own quote it says that he made the comment in a statement to the gardai. He was acquitted because of the conflicting evidence and not due to the statement that he made to the gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 couch_dweller

Petre wrote: »

if irelands culture - media is zionist controlled , why were we recently singled out by bin laden as ripe for conversion to islam :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

this country is after getting far to politicaly correct , Yes there are some fine hard working non irish people living in ireland now and good bless them they are very welcome. but there are also a large group of people here because they see (rightly ) ireland as a soft touch, at the slightest hint of anyone pulling them up on it there scream RACIST, anything the gardai or hse or any one else doenst give them prefencial treatment its the same thing, Not withstanding theres many many Irish people who are just as bad,
    as for rodney king didnt he run over a cop then take a chase ? mabey he deserved to get his ass whomped.
    Basicly we have let american morals override out own sets of standerds .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

No he didn't, nor as you have stated did he "get off", in fact he was acquitted of any wrongdoing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

as for rodney king didnt he run over a cop ..............

Nope. No points for you.

lividduck wrote: »
    No he didn't

What would you call this, if not playing the race card?
    wrote:
    "The accused told interviewing gardai he had given up a marriage to get the job and also quit smoking and drinking. He added that it was very difficult for a black man to get such a job"

Heres the aftermath of the crash, 26 people injured.

Anyway, the thread isnt about the crash. Its about certain groups using the race card.

So heres some examples;
    wrote:
    A MOB went on a wave of random race violence on Temple Bar, which left five Dubliners with horrific injuries.

"We believe that what happened on the night was motivated by racism -- that is racism against white people.

"When the suspects were first questioned they tried to use racism as a defence -- they tried to say that they had been racially abused by the victims for being black.

"But absolutely no evidence of that was ever uncovered and gardai are satisfied that the culprits were not racially abused."

http://www.herald.ie/news/race-hate-gang-in-temple-bar-orgy-of-violence-2815510.html
    wrote:
    A DRIVER called gardai "racists" and accused them of harassing him because he was frustrated they stopped him with his children in his car, a court heard.

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/dad-branded-gardai-racist-after-his-car-was-stopped-3087355.html

But, no lets claim its non existent.

What would you call this, if not playing the race card?

Heres the aftermath of the crash, 26 people injured.

Anyway, the thread isnt about the crash. Its about certain groups using the race card.

.....if it's not about the crash, why did you put in a video?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

this country is after getting far to politicaly correct , Yes there are some fine hard working non irish people living in ireland now and good bless them they are very welcome. but there are also a large group of people here because they see (rightly ) ireland as a soft touch, at the slightest hint of anyone pulling them up on it there scream RACIST, anything the gardai or hse or any one else doenst give them prefencial treatment its the same thing, Not withstanding theres many many Irish people who are just as bad,
    as for rodney king didnt he run over a cop then take a chase ? mabey he deserved to get his ass whomped.
    Basicly we have let american morals override out own sets of standerds .

American morals as in beating the crap out of King?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 yorbloke

Einhard wrote: »
    I think that, too often, people impute a racist motivation when there may not be one. The incident during the week where the black girl was raped is a good example. Nothing at all to suggest that race was a factor, and yet that's how it was reported in some outlets. Beyond such incidents, I think people are confused as to the term racism itself. The statement of the mayor of Naas during the week was appalling, but did it amount to racism? Yes, he was unfairly tarring a group of people of the same colour/ethnicity, but was he doing because he hated people of that ethnicity, or felt superior to them? I don't really think so. So yeah, I do think racism is invoked to frivolously. last night, for example, there was a piece on RTE about racism towards taxi drivers, and it focused on the deadly assault on a Nigerian taxi driver in Dublin this week. Yet the same report acknowledged that there was no suggestion that race was a factor. Why raise it then, as though it were a factor?:confused:

The real problem is that words like racism and genocide should have the power to shock and stop people in their tracks. When we use them in a flippant manner, they gradually lose that ability so that genuine acts of both become conflated with exaggerated reports, and people begin to take them less seriously.

well said einhard. i've just been called a racist on a previous thread.. people who brandish the word around are just lazy and flippant. it was from a moderator and his cronies.well said again.

yorbloke wrote: »
    well said einhard. i've just been called a racist on a previous thread.. people who brandish the word around are just lazy and flippant. it was from a moderator and his cronies.well said again.

Aye - What twisted mind could wring racism or xenophobia from this
    you live in a cocoon. you ring most customer services now and they are made up of incompetent foreigners drooling over their cabbage soup and tacos looking blankly at their pc's.. they havnt a clue and you are there at the end of the line running out of credit and trying to get some customer service.
    you sound like a right do gooder to me.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78831615&postcount=14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That customer service thread is hilarious! The person is completely in the wrong and throws out all the chestnuts: do-gooder, "you must work for Electric Ireland", "people who aren't foreign are better at customer service", "I'll change company" (another company won't be ANY different when it comes to a customer error) etc. A good laugh I must say - keep 'em coming! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

yorbloke wrote: »

Holy Cow!!

I think einhard made a decent point but yorbloke is using it out of context. Please look at yorblokes posting history to see the extremely racist comments made by him. Sometimes a racist comment or attitude is just that - Racist.:mad:

• Advertisement

Not sure I'd call it racism. Stupidity, ignorance and virtually zero thought, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Ireland is definitely heading towards this over political-correctness/EU-style pc complex. When I talk to some friends or colleagues I often have to bite my tongue trying not to say directly what I think about issues such as immigration, political correctness, human rights etc.

I am a foreigner in Ireland myself but I never felt marginalised or racially abused in any form. I get the usual slagging off when mispronouncing words or using odd phrasings, but who cares about that: I do the same for people with odd accents as a joke. These things are meant to be funny, someone might go too far (and that would usually be me) but they aren't supposed to hurt the other person you are laughing with.

So, if you move to a foreign country learn the language, accept the culture, respect the people and their laws and don't expect them to take you by the hand and guide you around everything. No one will like you if you pull the racist card every time someone looks at you in a weird way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Ireland is definitely heading towards this over political-correctness/EU-style pc complex. When I talk to some friends or colleagues I often have to bite my tongue trying not to say directly what I think about issues such as immigration, political correctness, human rights etc.

I am a foreigner in Ireland myself but I never felt marginalised or racially abused in any form. I get the usual slagging off when mispronouncing words or using odd phrasings, but who cares about that: I do the same for people with odd accents as a joke. These things are meant to be funny, someone might go too far (and that would usually be me) but they aren't supposed to hurt the other person you are laughing with.

So, if you move to a foreign country learn the language, accept the culture, respect the people and their laws and don't expect them to take you by the hand and guide you around everything. No one will like you if you pull the racist card every time someone looks at you in a weird way.

Yea well slagging off people with psychological illnesses isn't acceptable in Ireland Mr fake foreigner.

slagging off people with psychological illnesses isn't acceptable in Ireland Mr fake foreigner.
    Never mind those doctors, psychiatrists, therapists, hospital admissions, suicides... that poster "feels" (with no evidence) that anorexia is just a first world problem solved by a bit of cop-on, therefore those who research and treat it for years are wrong. Wrong! And on that basis it's also ok to bully them and make them worse. Shur isn't it great? It's a triumph against the peecee brigade, and isn't that all that matters? Feck basic decency.

Dudess wrote: »
    Never mind those doctors, psychiatrists, therapists, hospital admissions, suicides... that poster "feels" (with no evidence) that anorexia is just a first world problem solved by a bit of cop-on, therefore those who research and treat it for years are wrong. Wrong! And on that basis it's also ok to bully them and make them worse. Shur isn't it great? It's a triumph against the peecee brigade, and isn't that all that matters? Feck basic decency.

Where are you getting this from? He didn't mention any of the above in his post? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Where are you getting this from? He didn't mention any of the above in his post? :confused:

It's from the Unpopular Opinions thread methinks. :P

RichieC wrote: »
    Yea well slagging off people with psychological illnesses isn't acceptable in Ireland Mr fake foreigner.

Fake compassion for everyone and everything isn't either. Better say it to someone's face than behind their back, which seems to be the preferred way for so many people.

I will take the "fake foreigner" as a compliment for my use of the english language and punctuation which is missing from many posts here.

You've a problem with human rights?

yes, i hate human rights, they are unnecessary and we should all be killed.

"issues such as immigration, political correctness, human rights etc." quite obviously implies a list of abstract ideas that are being debated at the moment. I never said that I have anything against any of these, but I reserve the right to comment on these. Taking the example of human rights for instance I think that everyone who enters a country is obliged to respect the country's laws. If you seriously trespass, you forfeited your right to be in the country and shouldn't whinge if they send you home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

yes, i hate human rights, they are unnecessary and we should all be killed.

"issues such as immigration, political correctness, human rights etc." quite obviously implies a list of abstract ideas that are being debated at the moment. I never said that I have anything against any of these, but I reserve the right to comment on these. Taking the example of human rights for instance I think that everyone who enters a country is obliged to respect the country's laws. If you seriously trespass, you forfeited your right to be in the country and shouldn't whinge if they send you home.

So, who was your last account before it was banned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It's all very exciting.

What exactly do you want me to reply? I haven't had an account here before. I am sorry that you can't counter my arguments in a different way than accusing me of being a post-banned user. What's next, am I also a paedophile, cannibal or suicide bomber? You just disqualified yourself ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Am so comfortably not racist in my own mind I have no problem with using racial slurs for a cheap laugh. But then It's like I'm just saying it to massage my own not-racist ego?! there's so many english and Iranians I teh family anyhow we always end up ganging up on the english, just for being different!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What's your view on immigration, Mr Immigrant?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    What's your view on immigration, Mr Immigrant?

Who are you asking?

Immigration is coola boola once you are legal.

If you are a failed asylum seekers(like 90% of them), on a bogey english language visa just to work, involved in a sham marriage or illegal, GTFO.

Legal, welcome to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Who are you asking?

Immigration is coola boola once you are legal.

If you are a failed asylum seekers(like 90% of them), on a bogey english language visa just to work, involved in a sham marriage or illegal, GTFO.

Legal, welcome to Ireland.

90%? Really?

old hippy wrote: »
    90%? Really?

Yeah, very few get refugee status.

Yeah, very few get refugee status.

So 90% of newcomers are actually failed asylum seekers?

So 90% of newcomers are actually failed asylum seekers?

Hell, no! I never said that. 90% of people who claim asylum eventually become failed asylum seekers. Only 3% get deported! I can verify these figures if you doubt them.

Hell, no! I never said that. 90% of people who claim asylum eventually become failed asylum seekers. Only 3% get deported! I can verify these figures if you doubt them.

I'm sure you can. But are all failed applicants bogus, in your view?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

That's cool. Most people who come here are not asylum seekers, though.

I was asking Mr Immigrant (Rasputin).

Pherekydes wrote: »
    That's cool. Most people who come here are not asylum seekers, though.

I am well aware of that. Most are fellow EU citizens and are as welcome to move here as I am to move to any of the other 26 EU states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

I am well aware of that. Most are fellow EU citizens and are as welcome to move here as I am to move to any of the other 26 EU states.

hundreds of millions of eu citizins....are entitled to move to ireland...

but only four million irish are entitled to move to the eu countries......

hundreds of millions of eu citizins....are entitled to move to ireland...

but only four million irish are entitled to move to the eu countries......

I know that. But free movement of goods and labour are some of the founding principles of the EU. We signed up for membership and ratified(eventually!) every EU treaty.

So we cannot complain about EU citizens moving here.

Look at my previous posts. Clear enough there I should hope

I'm sure you can. But are all failed applicants bogus, in your view?

Not all. Just the vast, vast majority of them.

Not all. Just the vast, vast majority of them.

Do you have access to failed applications or sit on the board or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

No, he's obviously a member of...

Nah. Previous Justice Ministers Dermot Ahern, Lenihan and McDowell all stated that the vast majority of asylum seekers were bogus.

They would know, it being their brief and all.

Nah. Previous Justice Ministers Dermot Ahern, Lenihan and McDowell all stated that the vast majority of asylum seekers were bogus.

They would know, it being their brief and all.

Are they, perchance, members of successive Fianna Fail Govts who lied, stole (allegedly, natch) and treated the electorate with contempt?

• Advertisement
Advertisement