Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Curling thick hair

• 26-11-2011 5:24pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Was trying to curl my hair last night and it ended up being an absolute disaster!
    I have really thick, wavy/kinky hair which goes to the end of my neck, just above my shoulder. I tried using both my GHD (the thick plate one) and a cheap curler I have at home but neither seemed to work properly! The biggest problem seemed to be that I could get alright curls on one side of my hair but the other side refused to do anything! I just couldn't seem to get any proper curls in it at all!

Has anyone any tips for curling thick hair and getting proper curls out of it?!

Also one of my friends told me about some trick to get natural curls in your hair involving a sock but I can't remember exactly what you're meant to do! Does anyone know anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

You can look up a tutorial on youtube about sock buns, haven't tried it yet, but it seems pretty effective. Personally I don't rate ghd or curling irons when it comes to curling thick hair, they never seem to take, and even when they do, the curls fall out very quickly. The best results I've gotten have come from bendy rollers put in damp hair and left to dry overnight, or heated rollers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

shinikins wrote: »
    You can look up a tutorial on youtube about sock buns, haven't tried it yet, but it seems pretty effective. Personally I don't rate ghd or curling irons when it comes to curling thick hair, they never seem to take, and even when they do, the curls fall out very quickly. The best results I've gotten have come from bendy rollers put in damp hair and left to dry overnight, or heated rollers.

Thanks shinikins! I might look into rollers! Would they take long to work?
    Sorry I meant to reply but never did!

Does anyone know if these "Babyliss Patrick Cameron Experts Drop Curl Tongs" curlers would have any chance of giving my hair nice curls? Can't find any reviews!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Heated rollers take a while to cool down, and its best to leave them until they are completely cool, so maybe an hour to two hours depending. My cheapo bendy rollers from Dunnes I usually use on damp hair before I go to bed and take them out in the morning, they're quite squishy and comfyu to sleep in as they're just foam, so no hard bits digging into your scalp. A little bit of mousse and the curls stay for ages.

I've never had much success with tongs so I'm afraid I can't help with that one!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

shinikins wrote: »
    Heated rollers take a while to cool down, and its best to leave them until they are completely cool, so maybe an hour to two hours depending. My cheapo bendy rollers from Dunnes I usually use on damp hair before I go to bed and take them out in the morning, they're quite squishy and comfyu to sleep in as they're just foam, so no hard bits digging into your scalp. A little bit of mousse and the curls stay for ages.

I've never had much success with tongs so I'm afraid I can't help with that one!!

I'm always getting ready at the last minute so I'd probe never use them!
    I might look into getting a cheap set though!

I wish curls weren't so hard to get!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

My nana would always curl our hair with rollers and they where brilliant. Have semi wet hair, or what she would do was dip a comb into a glass of water with every section of hair and run it through the hair and spray setting lotion onto the hair and put the rollers in. The trick is to do small sections. Leave them in over night. They are tight curls when you take them out but then after an hour they fall and are gorgeous.

I swear by the wand though. Key to this is to do small sections of hair again. Do about 4 or 5 curls and spray with hairspray. They do beautiful curls that last even the next day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement