Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave Prim Gig in the Set

Options
  • 26-11-2011 5:47pm

Just wondering if any of you were at the brilliant gig in the Set last night? It was a tribute to Dave Prim, guitarist with several Kilkenny (and other) bands over the years, going right back to the sixties. He played with Fifth degree, Contraband, Reel To Reel, The Chicken Fisher Band, and The Dave Prim Band among others. It was a fantasic night with Dave playing alongside his comrades from these and other bands with which he was associated over 4 decades. The talent was amazing, - so many gifted musicians reviving great memories of days in the Carlton and Flannery's Hotel and other great venues. It was still rockin' well after 3 am, long after the bar closed. What a treat :D!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KathyN

yes, twas an absolutely brillliant gig, starting @ around 9.55pm and finishing at 3.20am! I was there with my brother who has known Dave for years. He'd have liked some more of their original material to be played, but really enjoyed the night anyway. Highlights of the evening for me included Dave's instrumental called 'Dean St' and his acoustic accompaniment to Bobbie Carey. I wished she had played for longer and also that stunning Sean Nos singer who sang just one song beautifully during one of the breaks... you could hear a pin drop in the theatre while she performed. I felt that the trad band went on for a bit long, as I'm not a huge trad fan. All-in-all, it really showcased Dave's versatility as a guitarist, in that he's able to cross over from bass, to lead to acoustic guitar and play so many different genres of music. Twas also clear how much he is respected by his fellow musicians and that the feeling is mutual. A stunning night and I hope that they DO make it an annual event, as Smiley suggested....

Advertisement