Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting dog flaps to upvc doors

• 26-11-2011 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

Does anyone know how to install a large dog flap to a upvc door? Alternatively, is there someone who can do it for me in Kerry?

Thanks,
    Irene.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

This can only be done if there is a panel in the door, or at least in the bottom half of the door - (back door type - half glass, half panel). Cannot be done in existing glass....

The panel needs to be removed and cut according to the size of the flap - it's relatively straightforward if you know how to remove the beading - then drill the four corners of the piece you need to remove, and 'join the dots' using a jigsaw.

Done it a few times, and would offer my services, but am at the wrong side of the country....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You don't need to remove the panel. I too am miles away but you should easily be able to find a local who can do it.

Ask here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=958

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I completely agree, but it is easier to cut the panel, if it's out and on a bench....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

alproctor wrote: »
    I completely agree, but it is easier to cut the panel, if it's out and on a bench....

I find it easier to do with the door in place & closed as I don't have to hold anything down. My cordless reciprocating saw goes straight in so no need to drill - although it's good to do so if one is unsure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

A friend did my door during summer. Hes based in mallow n am sure would do for a few quid.he did cat flap few yrs ago,den got 2 dogs so had to replace wit dog door.hes plenty of practice now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement