Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvard Referencing Question

Options
  • 26-11-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I know how to reference everything, but am I supposed to number each reference in the main body of my report and then have each corresponding reference beside the same number in the bibliography?!

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

lopppy wrote: »
    I know how to reference everything, but am I supposed to number each reference in the main body of my report and then have each corresponding reference beside the same number in the bibliography?!

Thanks for any help

No, you simply have the name and year in the main body of a report and then the full reference in the bibliography, no need for numbers.

Example.

In the text you would write -As has been argued (McDonagh, 2001)
    In the bibliography you would write- McDonagh, S. (2001) Why are we Deaf to the Cry of the Earth. Dublin: Veritas.

No need for numbers unless your department has an odd form of referencing, I've never heard of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Potatofarl

Hey all,

I have a referencing query...driving me insane can't find an answer online.

It is in relation to chapters in an edited book. I understand how to reference these, however I'm having difficulty with some chapters where the same author has written chapter 8 and 10 in the same book, for example, and I am unsure in the body of text how to differentiate between which chapter I am referring to.

For example, in the reference list...
    KELLY, A. (2012) Chapter title (8). In: Editors, Book title. Place: publisher.
    KELLY, A. (2012) Chapter title (10). In: Editors, Book title. Place: publisher.

However in the text I will have (Kelly, 2012) and there is no differentiation between chapters. Is it appropriate to add a letter to the reference corresponding to the reference list? Such as for journal articles when an author has published more than one article in the same year. e.g. (Kelly, 2012a), (Kelly, 2012b)

thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Yep, in the main body you'll be a and b'ing the relevant chapters.

For the bibliography, i can highly recommend this website http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm As you can see, the title of each chapter is listed so they are distince bib-items.
    For chapters of edited books the required elements for a reference are:

Chapter author(s) surname(s) and initials. Year of chapter. Title of chapter followed by In: Book editor(s) initials first followed by surnames with ed. or eds. after the last name. Year of book. Title of book. Place of publication: Publisher. Chapter number or first and last page numbers followed by full-stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Potatofarl

Thanks Tree! Essay due Friday, oh how I will dance when it is finished!

Advertisement