Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The USI or the Library - you choose!!

• 26-11-2011 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

Every three years UCC students vote on USI membership, and this year (2011/12) is one of those years. USI membership costs UCC about €150,000 a year, if I recall correctly. There's a €100,000 lump sum payment and then all students who pay the registration fee pay €5.

I'm not really sure what the benefits of USI membership are. I know they spend a truck load of money on protests - for instance, they spent €17,000 on full page ads in two national newspapers a few weeks ago. I find the USI president Gary Redmond highly disagreeable: a strong Ogra FFer, this is his fourth year in full time student politics, which is more time than he's spent actually being a student (3 years)! On Primetime last month he said that after secondary school people either go into third level, go on the dole or emigrate. I think it says a lot about the bubble he lives in that he isn't aware of the many people who enter trades and unskilled labour. Can anyone explain what we get out of USI?!

But, anyway, here's the question: if UCC guaranteed that in the event of a vote to leave the USI the €150,000 freed-up membership fee would be used to extend library services, especially opening hours on the weekend, how would you vote?!

Should the €150k USI membership be kept, or should library services be expanded? 51 votes

Expanded library services (longer opening hours on Sat. and Sun. in particular)
    0% 0 votes
    USI membership
    88% 45 votes
    No opinion
    11% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

All I can find on their website is the TellYourTD campaign. Anyone know what the benefits of USI membership would be? Presumably It'll be of more benefit to UCCSU members rather UCC students in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

I don't know what benefits the USI brings but I'd love if the Library was open on Sundays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Every three years UCC students vote on USI membership, and this year (2011/12) is one of those years. USI membership costs UCC about €150,000 a year, if I recall correctly. There's a €100,000 lump sum payment and then all students who pay the registration fee pay €5.

I'm not really sure what the benefits of USI membership are. I know they spend a truck load of money on protests - for instance, they spent €17,000 on full page ads in two national newspapers a few weeks ago. I find the USI president Gary Redmond highly disagreeable: a strong Ogra FFer, this is his fourth year in full time student politics, which is more time than he's spent actually being a student (3 years)! On Primetime last month he said that after secondary school people either go into third level, go on the dole or emigrate. I think it says a lot about the bubble he lives in that he isn't aware of the many people who enter trades and unskilled labour. Can anyone explain what we get out of USI?!

But, anyway, here's the question: if UCC guaranteed that in the event of a vote to leave the USI the €150,000 freed-up membership fee would be used to extend library services, especially opening hours on the weekend, how would you vote?!

Why do I get the feeling we're going to be running yet another controversial campaign?? :D

Poll is very silly. Who wouldn't vote for extended library hours? But it's not a fair question as who is to say how the money would actually be spent once it's handed over.

I've never personally been in favour of increasing levies to pay for what should be basic services in a college. Particularly because you'd be paying twice - your registration fee pays for the use of the library. Also, I've always disliked giving off the idea to any college that students are willing to pay for more services, for the obvious reason that 'if students are willing to pay for one benefit, why not charge them for all services?'.

I'm not a UCC student so the above points are general. Also, I should disclaim that I was heavily involved in TCDSU half a decade ago, but please don't consider this post as a blind advocate just because of my history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Dónal wrote: »
    Poll is very silly. Who wouldn't vote for extended library hours?

Erm, people who felt that the USI funding was more important? :confused:
    But it's not a fair question as who is to say how the money would actually be spent once it's handed over.

Well yes - that's why my opening post explicitly says
    I've never personally been in favour of increasing levies to pay for what should be basic services in a college.

As it stands, the UCC library is only opened for 3 hours on Saturday morning and it is closed all day Sunday. While I would much prefer regular opening hours on the weekend - particularly as I live nearby - I can understand how weekend opening might not be considered a "basic service" but a bonus extra, especially in the current fiscally thrifty climate.
    Particularly because you'd be paying twice - your registration fee pays for the use of the library. Also, I've always disliked giving off the idea to any college that students are willing to pay for more services, for the obvious reason that 'if students are willing to pay for one benefit, why not charge them for all services?'.

In fairness, this isn't about paying more. It's about using the money we already pay in a different fashion.

• Advertisement

Byron85 wrote: »
    Why do I get the feeling we're going to be running yet another controversial campaign?? :D

Well, if that's what you're suggesting... :D

Well, if that's what you're suggesting... :D

Do you know when the vote is actually?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I'd vote for the library - their funding was cut recently and there are a lot of Departments fighting the college authorities to keep the current online access to the journals as they are at the moment, according to one of our lecturers the access is the best he has experienced in any university in Ireland or the UK which going back to Donals point, is a basic service

Erm, people who felt that the USI funding was more important? :confused:

I'd like to meet these people. 0 of which exist so far. Even the most harden hacks that I've met would be hard to choose USI over library funding. It's just silly, as I said.
    Well yes - that's why my opening post explicitly says

I mentioned the poll, not the post - when you open the page, you see the title, and the poll. I'd also be surprised if people saw the post, then the poll, then decided to vote, or did they vote based on the information given to them in the question.

But that's just getting into stupid detail now.
    In fairness, this isn't about paying more.

Not yet! :pac:

Anyways, enough sillyness for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Smurphette

I'm not going to debate this as I'm not a student anymore but the affiliation fee for USI is €5 per student which for UCC works out about €80k, not €150k.

There are additional charges for attending National Councils, Congress etc

If UCC SU disaffiliated from USI then the €5 would simply not be taken from student capitation as there would be no mandate for the university to do that - it simply wouldn't exist or else would disappear into the blackhole of UCC debt if the uni illegally decided to keep taking it out student money. You're setting up a false dichotomy with the question without looking at bigger pictures like national representation for UCC, supports for union officers and national campaigns in welfare, equality, lgbt etc

• Advertisement

Here's a break-down of the registration and capitation fee as of 2010 if anyone's interested.

Students' Union €54.42
    Clubs Executive €46.75
    Societies Guild €37.40
    Students' Centre Operational €41.14
    Students' Centre Capital €117.06
    Careers Service and Appointments Office €68.07
    Accomodations Office €23.56
    Chaplaincy €30.29
    Disability Services €63.02
    PE and Sports Facilities €94.43
    Student Health and Counselling €118.18
    Examination Expenses and Exams Office €142.59
    Fees Office €31.04
    Admissions Office €64.42
    Student Records Office €39.55
    Other - Space Costs associated with Student Services €152.40
    HEA increases corresponding with net decrease in funding from the exchequer €373.99
    TOTAL: €1,500.00

Capitation:

Mardyke Arena Operational (Membership Fee) €100
    Mardyke Arena Capital €40
    USI Contribution €5
    Publications Contribution €2
    Students' Union Common Room Contribution €3
    TOTAL: €150.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

If we had a 24 hour access room in college where we could study then I think that'd be great! In UL they have a main building which is open 24 hours a day so people can study all night if they please. I'd much prefer that than the USI membership. At the end of the day, we come to college to get a degree, not fight a bunch of wars with the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Cuddlytroll

Apparently €25 can innoculate 250 children against malaria. That means that is we were to donate the €5 per student to charity we could save 800,000 childrens' lives! But wait, the Glucksman costs €400,000 per year to open, so if we redistributed that money we could save 4 million lives. That's almost the population of the country!!!

Yawn. Populist, poorly informed polls like this will never give a proper representation. The reality is that USI were heavily involved in the increase of the Student Assistance Fund by over €150,000 for UCC, which is double what we paid them. They single handedly passed the Student Support Act which will save hundreds of thousands of euros of students money with a more efficient grant system, they're in the process of reforming the deposit retention scheme which will again save hundreds of thousands of euros of students money by making it impossible for rogue landlords to retain deposits and they have thwarted government policy regarding fees for several years which has kept untold numbers of students in college. Bear in mind that this is only in the last twelve months alone.

The thing is, having been involved with one of the election teams in the last SU elections I went up to ye doing the annual anti-SU campaign and explained the merits of the fifth officer and why I felt ye were wrong to oppose it. After discussing this for a while I was told 'we could talk about this for the next six hours and I still wouldn't agree with you.' Given the attitude shown I am already resigned that this thread will throw up the usual knee-jerk reactionary stuff, same faces will come out for the canvassing and it'll all continue. Sure we'll see how it goes!

I'd like to meet these people. 0 of which exist so far. Even the most harden hacks that I've met would be hard to choose USI over library funding. It's just silly, as I said.

I don't see why you're being so dismissive. If a majority students think that the USI money would be better spent on longer library opening hours then the money should be spent on longer opening hours. There's nothing "silly" about popular consent.
    Yawn. Populist, poorly informed polls like this will never give a proper representation.

I'd be interested in hearing about how a simple question can be poorly informed. It asks you to prioritise between the USI and extended library opening hours. Where is the misinformation?
    The thing is, having been involved with one of the election teams in the last SU elections I went up to ye doing the annual anti-SU campaign and explained the merits of the fifth officer and why I felt ye were wrong to oppose it. After discussing this for a while I was told 'we could talk about this for the next six hours and I still wouldn't agree with you.' Given the attitude shown I am already resigned that this thread will throw up the usual knee-jerk reactionary stuff, same faces will come out for the canvassing and it'll all continue. Sure we'll see how it goes!

You initiate the "pro-SU"-"anti-SU" nonsense here and then complain that the thread will turn to that kind of silliness! Lol! :D

By the way, you could do better than label the fifth officer campaign an anti-SU one. In the end over 40% of those who voted voted no, which was a strong result given the culture of "automatic yes" in SU referenda in this university. And that excludes the 65%+ people who didn't vote, who are almost by definition "apathetic". If that quantity of people (40%) are truly "anti-SU", as you claim they are, then that is a damning indictment of the student body's satisfaction with the SU.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Leave the pro and anti SU agendas at the door please, keep it civil - I've no problem infracting or banning users for abusive language or posts that try to be deliberately provocative

Just to state it clearly, the 5th officer campaign wasn't anti-SU, and neither is this thread. Both things recognise that when it comes to money one has to have priorities. You can't have your cake and eat it too. In the 5th officer campaign, we felt that in the context of widespread budget cuts that expanding the SU wasn't the biggest priority. Here, I ask what people's priorities are. What I would like is for posters - like Cuddlytroll - who clearly have a knowledge of these kind of things to share their experiences and allow everyone to make an informed choice of priority. Erecting barricades is self-defeating.

Annual? Last year was the first time I ever did anything like what I did with Eliot.

When considering attitudes etc, it would be good to remember the various attitudes thrown at us, only two people, compared to the "might" of the S.U when it came to the issue of the fifth officer. If I personally seemed somewhat belligerent, although I don't think I was (I am blunt but there's a difference between bluntness and belligerence), it might have had something to do with the dismissive attitude shown towards us with our former S.U president saying that "Some people just like to cause hassle and/or say no". That was the general attitude we received.

When the S.U have a budget of a few hundred thousand euros to play around with, I am fully entitled to be critical of what they spend the money on.

As for our attitudes, i'm pretty sure I can speak for Elliot on this too, we're not in the least reactionary. We're critical of the workings of the S.U and in this case, the USI. If we are not able to ask skeptical questions, to be skeptical of those in authority, then we're up for grabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

No Atari Jaguar?

No Atari Jaguar?

Isn't that what no opinion means? :o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Isn't that what no opinion means? :o:D

It isn't Jaguar! Boards rule. Kidding.

I'm inclined to vote library, primarily because I love the place and I don't want to see it affected. Education centers should be bulletproof.

• Advertisement

I can totally see this turning into a SU vs the rest of UCC that dont engage with the SU debate :rolleyes: Education and money are the two important factors with regards to college. The USI payment seems a bit mental and even if it was split in half, giving the other half to longer library hours then I think it'd be a good half way point. Everybody wins.

One and only warning: Anyone who starts an SU v rest of UCC thing will be banned for a week. I don't want any more mentions of the UCC SU as I can see it going down that road as well - keep the thread on topic or it will be locked

One and only warning: Anyone who starts that will be banned for a week. I don't want any more mentions of the UCC SU as I can see it going down that road as well - keep the thread on topic or it will be locked

Misunderstanding :P

I wasn't starting anything. I just made the point from another poster who was kicking a fuss up implying I don't want it going down that road because we have enough of those thread bashings going on already. Apologies.

Don't apologise - sorry my post didn't make it clear - the warning is for anyone posting on the thread, as you made an extremely valid point about this going down the SU road, its not you starting anything :o

I'll edit out your part of the post - apologies!

Don't apologise - sorry my post didn't make it clear - the warning is for anyone posting on the thread, as you made an extremely valid point about this going down the SU road, its not you starting anything :o

I'll edit out your part of the post - apologies!

Tis ok! No need to say sorry! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Byron85: Where did you get that information on the breakdown? I'm not questioning you or anything, just curious? :)

Byron85: Where did you get that information on the breakdown? I'm not questioning you or anything, just curious? :)

The S.U published it in The Express and online at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

I don't see the benefit of USI membership myself. I'd rather the money went somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Parry_Repost

I'd rather see my money go elsewhere especially considering I would get the benefits of the library; Whilst the USI is a union I dont have a choice but to join, whether I disagree or agree with their message. Forcing representation is a concern for me, whilst everyone or at least those who want to be educated get benefits through library services.

Advertisement