Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the truth a defense on boards.ie?

Options
  • 26-11-2011 7:09pm
    Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭

I've recently had an incident that has raised a broader question for me?

Can you be punished for making a true statement if it upsets someone else?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

The "truth" is subjective tho isn't it? I've heard people say they speak the truth as white supremacists or advocating the "one true church" or whatever - one man's truth is another's pile of cod-wallop really, isn't it?

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

The "truth" is subjective tho isn't it? I've heard people say they speak the truth as white supremacists or advocating the "one true church" or whatever - one man's truth is another's pile of cod-wallop really, isn't it?
    OK. Replace truth with verifiable facts.

OK. Replace truth with verifiable facts.

Still depends - verified by whom? Why? In what context? Plenty of verified "facts" have later been recanted as a load of crap...and that's before you get into the whole, boards is privately owned/no free speech stuff.

Is this an actual Boards feedback or have I wandered into yet another bitch about thread or post being action/should be in DRP? :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I've recently had an incident that has raised a broader question for me?

Can you be punished for making a true statement if it upsets someone else?
    It depends on where it was posted, what the forum charter is and what it was in response to.

In short, yes, if it breaches site or local rules.

Steve wrote: »
    It depends on where it was posted, what the forum charter is and what it was in response to.

In short, yes, if it breaches site or local rules.

Which rule, site or local could be breached by stating a fact?

• Advertisement

Still depends - verified by whom? Why? In what context? Plenty of verified "facts" have later been recanted as a load of crap...and that's before you get into the whole, boards is privately owned/no free speech stuff.
    I'll pose a hypothetical example. The government publishes figures for 2010 that the demographic most likely to cause death through dangerous driving is 18-25 year old males. I state this fact and it upsets 18-25 year old males.
    Is this an actual Boards feedback or have I wandered into yet another bitch about thread or post being action/should be in DRP? :o

Yes, it's an actual feedback thread. It's a genuine question and to be honest I don't appreciate a genuine question being referred perjoratively to as a "bitch".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

There's a site rule - the prime directive if you will - that says 'don't be a dick'. That encompasses a lot of behaviour - mostly posting stuff that is insulting to other users but it depends on the circumstances.

As for local rules, there are hundreds of forums here, each with their own specific rules so I can't comment on that without knowing what you are referring to and where it was posted. :)

I'll pose a hypothetical example. The government publishes figures for 2010 that the demographic most likely to cause death through dangerous driving is 18-25 year old males. I state this fact and it upsets 18-25 year old males.

Well, it would surely depend on your wording and location of the thread in question. Stating that a government finding found X while posing a question in humanities is a different kettle of fish to posting "cos yer a bloke yer goin' to be a crap driver" in motoring - you get the jist....hypothetical examples are, unfortunately, just that - there are plenty of things we can say or do which are acceptable in some forums and not in others so querying generalities is a bit useless in establishing, well, anything.
    Yes, it's an actual feedback thread. It's a genuine question and to be honest I don't appreciate a genuine question being referred perjoratively to as a "bitch".

An awful lot of feedback threads seem to be generated as a passive aggressive swipe at moderator action and to try to circumvent site protocols - you seem loath to actually name the issue you have and where and that begs the question why. As Steve says, without knowing exactly what was said and where, it's very difficult to judge if there is an issue that should be looked at or you fell foul of failing to read specific forum charter rules/ethos...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It depends how you state it. If you just point out those figures, I can't see why anyone would get upset. If you said all 18-25 year old males are hypocrites for wanting cheaper insurance but constantly driving dangerously, that's a) subjective, b) a generalisation and c) their choice, whether you believe it's right or wrong.

There's a difference between stating a fact and stating your opinion based on a fact.

An awful lot of feedback threads seem to be generated as a passive aggressive swipe at moderator action and to try to circumvent site protocols - you seem loath to actually name the issue you have and where and that begs the question why. As Steve says, without knowing exactly what was said and where, it's very difficult to judge if there is an issue that should be looked at or you fell foul of failing to read specific forum charter rules/ethos...

This issue has arisen as a result of an infraction I gave Brown Bomber on the Conspiracy Theories forum. Long story short, a Catholic is allowed to join the Freemasons, but according to the Catholic Church, any Catholic who does should be excommunicated. Brown Bomber stated that any Freemason who calls himself a catholic is a complete hypocrite.

We do have users on the forum who are Freemasons and Catholic (excommunication means you are still a Catholic). Not only that, but we all know many Catholics who use condoms etc, which they shouldn't. A person's religion and how they practise it is their own. A hypocrite is someone who say something is wrong, but does it anyway. But 'wrong' is subjective, and Brown Bomber calling them hypocrites is his opinion, not a 'verifiable fact'.

For what it's worth, I've since asked for the infraction to be overturned after discussions with Brown Bomber via PM, as I felt I had made my point and it wasn't a serious enough issue to argue over. But I'm happy for this thread to continue.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    But I'm happy for this thread to continue.
    It's not feedback though - this is what DRP is for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

"poster A is a complete tool and idiot"

It could be true but is still abusive and will probably get you banned. People often hide behind "truths" as an excuse to do something they shouldn't be doing. So in my opinion it is possible to punished for truthful statements if you don't try and put it in a civil manner

But I'm happy for this thread to continue.
    It's not feedback though - this is what DRP is for :)

Yeah but as I've overturned the infraction, does it still count as a DRP? At this point, it's a disagreement which I think Brown Bomber is looking for alternative, outsider input on. Like he said, "I've recently had an incident that has raised a broader question for me?"

I just felt that his hypothetical example was a poor example, and wanted to clarify things.

Yeah but as I've overturned the infraction, does it still count as a DRP? At this point, it's a disagreement which I think Brown Bomber is looking for alternative, outsider input on.
    The general question of 'is posting a truth punishable' has been answered imo and that's what this forum is for. The specifics of this did belong in DRP as it's origins were a mod / user dispute.

The general question of 'is posting a truth punishable' has been answered imo and that's what this forum is for. The specifics of this did belong in DRP as it's origins were a mod / user dispute.

It's not a DRP thread it's a question of boards policy. As I've said the incident was just the spark for a more general question. I'm interested in the answer because I want to stay within the rules, not bend them.

There's a site rule - the prime directive if you will - that says 'don't be a dick'. That encompasses a lot of behaviour - mostly posting stuff that is insulting to other users but it depends on the circumstances.
    Okay, what if there is a discussion on Hezbollah in the politics forum and someone describes them as a terrorist group?

They are designated as terrorists generally by the West but as resistance fighters generally by the Islamic world and Hezbollah themselves.

What if someone states the fact that Hezbollah are terrorists and it upsets users who are Hezbollah members or those who view them as legitimate resistance fighters?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,168 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No policy that I'm aware of defends it Bomber. It seems to be fairly common sense what is Fair Comment and what is not, the need to define it has a set law seems moot. That, and the more things you define in stone the more loopholes you make, and all that really does is open up avenues for low level trolling.

As far as I know it's a case by case basis, and in my opinion it should stay that way. There's really not much point in concocting hypothetical Hezbollah whataboutery to force the Mods to set some kind of precedent.

It depends how you state it. If you just point out those figures, I can't see why anyone would get upset. If you said all 18-25 year old males are hypocrites for wanting cheaper insurance but constantly driving dangerously, that's a) subjective, b) a generalisation and c) their choice, whether you believe it's right or wrong.

There's a difference between stating a fact and stating your opinion based on a fact.

I agree. However, to call someone a hypocrite, something that is dictionary defined and with which there is no grey area is not a generalisation nor subjective.
    hyp·o·crite

   [hip-uh-krit] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA
    noun 1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

So for example you could call Gay Byrne a hypocrite if he was caught drink-driving or speeding. It's not an insult. It would be a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,168 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"Excommunicated Catholics are still Catholics and remain bound by obligations such as attending Mass, even though they are barred from receiving the Eucharist and from taking an active part in the liturgy (reading, bringing the offerings, etc.).[3] However, their communion with the Church is considered gravely impaired.[4] In spite of that, they are urged to retain a relationship with the Church, as the goal is to encourage them to repent and return to active participation in its life."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excommunication#The_Catholic_Church

As it transpires, calling Catholic Freemasons 'hypocrites' is not a statement of fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

If you are telling verifiable facts to the aim of blackening the 'good' name of someone then under irish law it doesn't matter if it's true or not, you are defaming them and where that leads to them loosing out money due to the damaging their reputation they can take you to court. Alas the 'truth' or verifiable facts is not a bullet proof defence.

• Advertisement

So for example you could call Gay Byrne a hypocrite if he was caught drink-driving or speeding. It's not an insult. It would be a fact.
    IMO that would be an opinion, not a fact.

Irrelevant anyway as it would still depend on where it was posted. As Overheal pointed out, if this was defined in stone then it would create loopholes for the rules lawyers out there - that's why we don't do it. If we keep it fuzzy then it allows the mods / cmods / admins to deal with stuff by using common sense and deciding what's in the best interests of the site. It all comes back to the 'don't be a dick' rule - 99% of people here can discuss things in an an objective manner without getting upset, that's really all it takes.
    Sharrow wrote: »
    If you are telling verifiable facts to the aim of blackening the 'good' name of someone then under irish law it doesn't matter if it's true or not, you are defaming them and where that leads to them loosing out money due to the damaging their reputation they can take you to court. Alas the 'truth' or verifiable facts is not a bullet proof defence.
    Not quite, for defamation to be actionable, the claim must be false. :)

I agree. However, to call someone a hypocrite, something that is dictionary defined and with which there is no grey area is not a generalisation nor subjective.
    hyp·o·crite

   [hip-uh-krit] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA
    noun 1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

And how do you know who has religious beliefs, and who only pretends to have religious beliefs? Again, how people choose to follow their religion is up to them. Do you think every single Catholic agrees with and follows every single part of the religion?

'Hypocrite' is subjective. What's wrong to me may not be wrong to you, and has everything to do with the individual and their beliefs and what they consider to be moral or not. I'd agree with you that, in my opinion, Gay Byrne would be a hypocrite. He tells people not to drink drive, and then he drink drives.

Did any of the people you call 'complete hypocrites' say a Freemason can't be a catholic? No, that's something which is part of their religion and imposed on them by others, but which they themselves may not agree with. In this case, the only true Catholic Freemason who would be a hypocrite is the Pope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

It probably means he in falliable, but its quite possible to hold a view that drunk driving is wrong, and still hold that view oneself, even if one does it.

A hypocrite is one who pretends to hold a view in public, but who doesn't hold it in private.

The charters on boards are open to interpretation largely at the moderators discretion, and context and the particular situation are always relevant too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

I have yet to see BB provide a truly objective example.

Overheal wrote: »
    "Excommunicated Catholics are still Catholics and remain bound by obligations such as attending Mass, even though they are barred from receiving the Eucharist and from taking an active part in the liturgy (reading, bringing the offerings, etc.).[3] However, their communion with the Church is considered gravely impaired.[4] In spite of that, they are urged to retain a relationship with the Church, as the goal is to encourage them to repent and return to active participation in its life."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excommunication#The_Catholic_Church

As it transpires, calling Catholic Freemasons 'hypocrites' is not a statement of fact.

Well it is, the definition of hypocrite again:

A person
    (Catholic-Mason) whose actions (continued membership of a masonic lodge, which is strictly forbidden by the Catholic Church) belie stated beliefs (claim to be a Catholic)

A Catholic who claims to be a mason is by definition of hypocrite, a hypocrite.

And how do you know who has religious beliefs, and who only pretends to have religious beliefs? Again, how people choose to follow their religion is up to them. Do you think every single Catholic agrees with and follows every single part of the religion?
    The bolded part is what's causing the confusion I think. Membership of a Church is not simply an ideology, you opt-in to become part of a society and the society has rules. It's not Pick N' Mix, you can't be a 60% Catholic or a 20% Muslim, if that was the case you could simultaneously be both.

Simillarly you can't be simultaneously be a mason and a Catholic without violating the Catholic Church's rulings. If you intentionally disregard the rulings whilst claiming to follow the rulings you are an obvious hypocrite.
    'Hypocrite' is subjective. What's wrong to me may not be wrong to you, and has everything to do with the individual and their beliefs and what they consider to be moral or not.
    Again, it's matters not what the individual thinks personally, it's not their call. They are free to start their own society.
    Did any of the people you call 'complete hypocrites' say a Freemason can't be a catholic? No, that's something which is part of their religion and imposed on them by others
    Nothing is "imposed" to be fair. They choose themselves to be Catholic and everything that goes with it, including the religious edicts. They opt-in
    but which they themselves may not agree with. [/QUOTE
    If they don't agree with it then they should start their own religion/society based on their own percieved truisms where they are not in a constant state of "grave sin"

Ah, so this thread should really be titled "Is belief in an imaginary being (who may or may not be a different imaginary being that other cults believe in) a defence on boards.ie"?

:confused:

Of course it matters what the individual thinks. If they don't think that what they are doing is wrong, they cannot, by definition, be a hypocrite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Okay, what if there is a discussion on Hezbollah in the politics forum and someone describes them as a terrorist group?

"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" -- Gerald Seymour

Truth is subjective. Facts are not. But they are often confused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

If its origins were a mod/user dispute, then it's great to see something worhtwhile come out of a mod/user dispute.

Advertisement