Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeats 2012

• 26-11-2011 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭

Since there was a thread like this last year i think there should be the same but for this year. Anyway how is everyone finding it being back? Were you happy or sad having to go back? Me, personally, i had mixed emotions but i did what had to be done and I'm really happy with my decision :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i'm actually enjoying it :L

Easier than last year by a mile.:D

Not as hard as people say.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

I'm finding it tough enough to be hearing friends on about college life and being stuck in school! But we'll get there too in time! :D

I'm liking the new format of the Irish course too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

crayon1 wrote: »
    I'm finding it tough enough to be hearing friends on about college life and being stuck in school! But we'll get there too in time! :D

I'm liking the new format of the Irish course too!

the difference :L and its great the orals 40%:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Struggling big time. Just can't get motivated to do all that work again!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

yeah same, finding it harder to get motivated to study this year and you'd think knowing that i'm repeating to get more points would have a positive effect!

new irish course is brilliant seriously don't understand people in my class giving out about it.
    at the moment i'm glad i'm repeating, i go to an all girls school and the year i was in for the last 6 years was b*tchy as hell and people were so competitive in classes it was unreal, whereas this year people are actually lovely and there's a great atmosphere, to be honest i think i'm going to be far more prepared for college next year than i was last year too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

It's weird repeating I like the place I'm in. I've definitely learnt from last year. I do more studying although I do slack a little. It's nearly December already I'm suprised how close it is to next year already. I'm gonna start spending my weekends and every evening doing longer study sessions. I even downloaded the self control app to use whenever I study otherwise I get distracted. I just hope I get into the college I want next year. I just keep telling myself it's only a year to work hard if it gets me to the place I want. I actually study for the class tests I have now whereas last year I probably wouldn't have bothered as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

It's weird repeating I like the place I'm in. I've definitely learnt from last year. I do more studying although I do slack a little. It's nearly December already I'm suprised how close it is to next year already. I'm gonna start spending my weekends and every evening doing longer study sessions. I even downloaded the self control app to use whenever I study otherwise I get distracted. I just hope I get into the college I want next year. I just keep telling myself it's only a year to work hard if it gets me to the place I want. I actually study for the class tests I have now whereas last year I probably wouldn't have bothered as much.

I feel the exact same but then again i did really struggle with my motivation last year and it was just a bad year for me personally, but im more determined than ever to get my course. I notice a big difference in my work. Ive turned my worst subjects around with lots of hard work. Whats everyone hoping to do next year?

Reventon93 wrote: »
    I feel the exact same but then again i did really struggle with my motivation last year and it was just a bad year for me personally, but im more determined than ever to get my course. I notice a big difference in my work. Ive turned my worst subjects around with lots of hard work. Whats everyone hoping to do next year?

Same I found it hard , I kept feeling tired. I hope I get the course I want. I'm more nervous about this leaving cert than I was last year. I really want to do the course I want I can't miss it twice. I'm already taking up two new subjects. I'm getting grinds and even going to the institute to get notes this year at christmas , I'm so determined to make it there this year. I want to do a business computers course.

I really want to do the course I want I can't miss it twice. I'm already taking up two new subjects. I'm getting grinds and even going to the institute to get notes this year at christmas , I'm so determined to make it there this year. I want to do a business computers course.

Me too. I picked up economics and ag science. Im really happy i did though. I find them both really interesting would love a B and an A1 . Im going to the institute as well just to make sure im on top of everything. Im more determined than ever. I've set myself a target and if i dont reach that target illl be so disappointed. Im hoping for law in either Trinity or UCD. I've only picked trinity because my best friend goes there. I like the UCD course more.

Me too. I picked up economics and ag science. Im really happy i did though. I find them both really interesting would love a B and an A1 . Im going to the institute as well just to make sure im on top of everything. Im more determined than ever. I've set myself a target and if i dont reach that target illl be so disappointed. Im hoping for law in either Trinity or UCD. I've only picked trinity because my best friend goes there. I like the UCD course more.

Yeah I picked up economics myself and honours english but I have a awful teacher and i need a B1. Are you going to the christmas revision one? I'm applying to England and DCU / NCI are my other choices. I'm going to try and study everyday at 2/3 subjects. Then weekends maybe wake up and do all 6. I'm going to stay in at weekends. I'm so nervous for next year.

• Advertisement

Yeah I picked up economics myself and honours english but I have a awful teacher and i need a B1. Are you going to the christmas revision one? I'm applying to England and DCU / NCI are my other choices. I'm going to try and study everyday at 2/3 subjects. Then weekends maybe wake up and do all 6. I'm going to stay in at weekends. I'm so nervous for next year.

I know how it feels. It sucks. My English teacher is/was on maternity leave but unfortunately the baby died so she wont be back until after Christmas. Im not sure. I might be away, but ill definitely be going at easter! Thats sort of what im doing. Ill do a paper or two on a subject and then i do essays at the weekend for english and history. I have designated days. It makes things a lot easier! That reminds me of getting up at 4am two months before the Lc :D I might start that again soon but probably not until after Christmas. I am too that i might do worse but im working my ass off to make sure that that doesnt happen (what great grammar :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

Has anybody doing honors maths done much of the project maths? If so is it much of a change from the old course?

I know how it feels. It sucks. My English teacher is/was on maternity leave but unfortunately the baby died so she wont be back until after Christmas. Im not sure. I might be away, but ill definitely be going at easter! Thats sort of what im doing. Ill do a paper or two on a subject and then i do essays at the weekend for english and history. I have designated days. It makes things a lot easier! That reminds me of getting up at 4am two months before the Lc :D I might start that again soon but probably not until after Christmas. I am too that i might do worse but im working my ass off to make sure that that doesnt happen (what great grammar :D)

We're only starting poetry in english now and the teacher spent the last class (1 hour long) speaking about the first line of the poem and what poetry means. He wanted to get three poems done. i don't think I'd be able to get up that early to study.I want to try and get the economics couse covered.

We're only starting poetry in english now and the teacher spent the last class (1 hour long) speaking about the first line of the poem and what poetry means. He wanted to get three poems done. i don't think I'd be able to get up that early to study.I want to try and get the economics couse covered.

Same. We're starting Rich tomorrow but i've no intentions of doing her as im doing the other 3 the class are doing and ive Boland and frost from last year. I can imagine that must be really irritating. Last year my english teacher would talk about the meanings behind each line of the poem. It took her a class but it was a lot easier to understand the poem then. I really only got up that early to get the neglected stuff learned. I strictly went to sleep at 9 to give myself 7 hours of sleep. It did work though.

Same. We're starting Rich tomorrow but i've no intentions of doing her as im doing the other 3 the class are doing and ive Boland and frost from last year. I can imagine that must be really irritating. Last year my english teacher would talk about the meanings behind each line of the poem. It took her a class but it was a lot easier to understand the poem then. I really only got up that early to get the neglected stuff learned. I strictly went to sleep at 9 to give myself 7 hours of sleep. It did work though.

I don't even know what poets we're covering. I learnt more doing ordinary level poems last year, but I had a great teacher. My teacher just waffles on , so I rarely pay attention. i want to start trying to write essays in the Hamlet or poetry , I can't as we've not even covered one poet yet. He hasn't mentioned paper 1 or told us our comparitives , I don't mind as I'm just using my last years texts. I tried waking up early during the leaving cert to study a subject , it didn't work turns out I wasted my time.

I don't even know what poets we're covering. I learnt more doing ordinary level poems last year, but I had a great teacher. My teacher just waffles on , so I rarely pay attention. i want to start trying to write essays in the Hamlet or poetry , I can't as we've not even covered one poet yet. He hasn't mentioned paper 1 or told us our comparitives , I don't mind as I'm just using my last years texts. I tried waking up early during the leaving cert to study a subject , it didn't work turns out I wasted my time.

I think were actually doing Plath, Larkin, Kavanagh, Heaney and Kinsella. The teacher i have now used to teach in the private school in town so its really handy and her notes are brilliant. The best way i think of doing Hamelt and poetry is exactly like you said, to write essays because theres always a key theme with every poet like Frost and nature or Dickinson and morbidity or nature as well so its a very good way to study them imo. For the comparative my class is doing Dancing at Lughnasa, How many miles to Babylon and eith the constant gardener or inside im dancing depending if my English teacher is back before christmas. Im doing inside im dancing so i hope the class will be too. Its tough to get up early. I hated it. It would be black outside and by the time i was done it would be bright.

I think were actually doing Plath, Larkin, Kavanagh, Heaney and Kinsella. The teacher i have now used to teach in the private school in town so its really handy and her notes are brilliant. The best way i think of doing Hamelt and poetry is exactly like you said, to write essays because theres always a key theme with every poet like Frost and nature or Dickinson and morbidity or nature as well so its a very good way to study them imo. For the comparative my class is doing Dancing at Lughnasa, How many miles to Babylon and eith the constant gardener or inside im dancing depending if my English teacher is back before christmas. Im doing inside im dancing so i hope the class will be too. Its tough to get up early. I hated it. It would be black outside and by the time i was done it would be bright.

I'm not sure where to start with Hamlet I need to try and learn the quotes still, an research what needs to be in each essay. My comparative is The Story of Lucy Gualt , The Lonesome West and my last years main text How Many Miles To Babylon. The earliest I could wake up would be 8/9/10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 four294

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Struggling big time. Just can't get motivated to do all that work again!

same! :( finding it really hard to be motivated. i do get sudden bursts where i plan all the things i'm going to do but then procrastination takes over when i realise that the reality is the jump from 420 to 510 is next to impossible and im never gonna achieve it! :( anyone got any tips to overcome this?

four294 wrote: »
    same! :( finding it really hard to be motivated. i do get sudden bursts where i plan all the things i'm going to do but then procrastination takes over when i realise that the reality is the jump from 420 to 510 is next to impossible and im never gonna achieve it! :( anyone got any tips to overcome this?

Same here I seem to have days where I can study for ages then the next day I won't open a single book. I'm sorta getting back into studying now . My way of studying , I have to use self-control this mac app which blocks certain websites for a number of hours. Thats the only thing which gets me studying. I think the hardest part of studying is the start. Get rid of all of the distractions somehow , keep focused on the goal you want to achieve. This has been helping me get back into it. I still can't believe it's nearly December I'm only getting into studying now I told myself I'd start in October/November.

I'm not sure where to start with Hamlet I need to try and learn the quotes still, an research what needs to be in each essay. My comparative is The Story of Lucy Gualt , The Lonesome West and my last years main text How Many Miles To Babylon. The earliest I could wake up would be 8/9/10am.

Well for Hamlet i've picked out topics for essays like "how does the play appeal to a modern audience" and "the complexity of Hamlets character". Ive done 7 general questions and included useful quotes so thats my way of learning Hamlet. At least you know your comaparative. What we did last year was we divided all the texts into beginning, middle, crisis, resolution and ending for quotes and just took down notes for the actual areas. Jees, that makes me feel lazy! The latest i could get up is 10 :D
    four294 wrote: »
    same! frown.gif finding it really hard to be motivated. i do get sudden bursts where i plan all the things i'm going to do but then procrastination takes over when i realise that the reality is the jump from 420 to 510 is next to impossible and im never gonna achieve it! frown.gif anyone got any tips to overcome this?

To be honest that jump is easily achievable if you put in the work, but i do know that from experience procrastination is a hard thing to overcome! Even now when i have never been more motivated to do well and get my course i still find myself putting things off until the last minute. For me the only way that i get over sometimes is to think of how much better i want to do this time and how happy ill be when i get my course in August

• Advertisement

Well for Hamlet i've picked out topics for essays like "how does the play appeal to a modern audience" and "the complexity of Hamlets character". Ive done 7 general questions and included useful quotes so thats my way of learning Hamlet. At least you know your comaparative. What we did last year was we divided all the texts into beginning, middle, crisis, resolution and ending for quotes and just took down notes for the actual areas. Jees, that makes me feel lazy! The latest i could get up is 10 :D

I should try to write a few the only one I have is "Hamlet is often described as one of Shakespeares best" (or something like that) I've only written one. I haven't studied my comparative in the honours view yet . I might get keynotes for how many miles even though it's ordinary , then get the Hamlet not sure I have so much english books already :S. I don't actually get up that early I usually sometimes wake up but I don't actually get out of bed to study until like 10/11 :). I'm going to try and study earlier soon.

I should try to write a few the only one I have is "Hamlet is often described as one of Shakespeares best" (or something like that) I've only written one. I haven't studied my comparative in the honours view yet . I might get keynotes for how many miles even though it's ordinary , then get the Hamlet not sure I have so much english books already :S. I don't actually get up that early I usually sometimes wake up but I don't actually get out of bed to study until like 10/11 :). I'm going to try and study earlier soon.

Key notes is very good for paper 2 things. I had it last year and got it for this year again. Ha same. My bed gets too comfy :D I think ill start after Christmas. I feel like personally i dont need to get up early at the minute

Key notes is very good for paper 2 things. I had it last year and got it for this year again. Ha same. My bed gets too comfy :D I think ill start after Christmas. I feel like personally i dont need to get up early at the minute

I might get it i'll wait until after christmas before I decide. I might write a list of what I'll study on certain days so I'll know what to do. Yeah it's more comfy in the morning plus with the cold weather.

I might get it i'll wait until after christmas before I decide. I might write a list of what I'll study on certain days so I'll know what to do. Yeah it's more comfy in the morning plus with the cold weather.

I wrote out a list of roughly all the things i hope to lean/revise from my checklist which is turning into a massive binder of stuff :eek:. I counted 23 weeks from Christmas. I feel like i have no time and im gonna be under a lot of pressure! But yes it is. Ive Trinity tomorrow, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday off next week so im gonna be very acquainted with my bed :D

I wrote out a list of roughly all the things i hope to lean/revise from my checklist which is turning into a massive binder of stuff :eek:. I counted 23 weeks from Christmas. I feel like i have no time and im gonna be under a lot of pressure! But yes it is. Ive Trinity tomorrow, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday off next week so im gonna be very acquainted with my bed :D

I still need to write mine I might write one every month. Isit 23 weeks until the leaving cert? I'm not sure if I'm going to Trinity I don't want to do a course there I went last year. Everyone is going , I might just tag along or go in after my first two classes. I need to try and get back into a normal sleeping pattern.

I still need to write mine I might write one every month. Isit 23 weeks until the leaving cert? I'm not sure if I'm going to Trinity I don't want to do a course there I went last year. Everyone is going , I might just tag along or go in after my first two classes. I need to try and get back into a normal sleeping pattern.

I really only did it because i had the time, but it helped me to loosely plan the year. From Christmas roughly, give or take a week. Yup im only going because my best friend goes to Trinity and i like 2 of the courses. Me too i cant o to sleep until at least 12 and then i wake up at seven. The funny thing is though that i function better on less sleep confused.gif

I really only did it because i had the time, but it helped me to loosely plan the year. From Christmas roughly, give or take a week. Yup im only going because my best friend goes to Trinity and i like 2 of the courses. Me too i cant o to sleep until at least 12 and then i wake up at seven. The funny thing is though that i function better on less sleep confused.gif

Oh right , I counted last week or the one before I was shocked by how close it seems. I'll probably go to college see if anyone is in if nobodys in I'll leave and go to trinity or I'll just go I'm still deciding as the course I would do require higher level maths or an A. I have more energy when I sleep later but I find it hard to get up in the morning . Then I get tired in the afternoon. I spent an hour making a study timetable today. I just need to write the objectives for each subject now.

Oh right , I counted last week or the one before I was shocked by how close it seems. I'll probably go to college see if anyone is in if nobodys in I'll leave and go to trinity or I'll just go I'm still deciding as the course I would do require higher level maths or an A. I have more energy when I sleep later but I find it hard to get up in the morning . Then I get tired in the afternoon. I spent an hour making a study timetable today. I just need to write the objectives for each subject now.

I know i think that theres no time when theres still 6 months left. So judging by maths im guessing you want to do something with maths or engineering. Possibly architecture? It is easier to get drained in the middle of the day! I think its a good idea to be structured. Thats another area that i fell down in last year. At least im prepared this year :D

I know i think that theres no time when theres still 6 months left. So judging by maths im guessing you want to do something with maths or engineering. Possibly architecture? It is easier to get drained in the middle of the day! I think its a good idea to be structured. Thats another area that i fell down in last year. At least im prepared this year :D

Haha oh no I meant that I can't do that particular course with the high maths grade it requires. Maths is one of the reasons I'm repeating this year . I want to do business information systems. What are you looking into studying?. Yeah I was disorganised last year and was too tired to study.

• Advertisement

Haha oh no I meant that I can't do that particular course with the high maths grade it requires. Maths is one of the reasons I'm repeating this year . I want to do business information systems. What are you looking into studying?. Yeah I was disorganised last year and was too tired to study.

Ahhhhh woops biggrin.gif Nice choice, even though ive never done business in my life! Some form of Law. Now only to convince the parents that i dont want to do science or become a surgeon! I was the exact same and procrastination was my weapon of mass destruction frown.gif

Advertisement