Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeats 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Repeating is grand really. As of today I have 100 school days left until I'm finished school! Again... :rolleyes: :P

It's going pretty well though. I'm generally a lot more motivated than last year, and two new subjects means I'm more interested because there's so much new stuff. ;)

The hard part is just being in school while all my mates are off in college. I can't wait 'til the year's over but I'm happy with my decision to repeat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Reventon93 wrote: »
    Ahhhhh woops biggrin.gif Nice choice, even though ive never done business in my life! Some form of Law. Now only to convince the parents that i dont want to do science or become a surgeon! I was the exact same and procrastination was my weapon of mass destruction frown.gif

Aw law seems good, they're all interesting career choices. I decided I actually will go to the trinity open day just as everyone will be. I'm managing my procrastination a little better this year it's still there I'm just perfecting it. What subjects are you taking this year?

Isit just me or is this leaving cert year flying by fast again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

Togepi wrote: »
    Repeating is grand really. As of today I have 100 school days left until I'm finished school! Again... :rolleyes: :P

It's going pretty well though. I'm generally a lot more motivated than last year, and two new subjects means I'm more interested because there's so much new stuff. ;)

The hard part is just being in school while all my mates are off in college. I can't wait 'til the year's over but I'm happy with my decision to repeat. :)

Firstly, awesome name :D Secondly, 100 days left is pretty scary! Its funny how at least 3 people here have picked up 2 new subjects though :D Well out of the friends ive stayed in contact since results only ones in college and the other 2 are doing plc's. Its good that your happy repeating. I had a friend that failed maths and she did everything she could not to go back. So she doing maths on her own at home and has only 250 points. Whats funny is both me and my friend have notice that she gives off the feeling that shes better than me for not repeating in school!

Aw law seems good, they're all interesting career choices. I decided I actually will go to the trinity open day just as everyone will be. I'm managing my procrastination a little better this year it's still there I'm just perfecting it. What subjects are you taking this year?

It is, considering i didnt have a clue last year what i wanted to do and was pushed into science/healthcare. Twil be fun :D Me too. Its not as bad :D Im doing the broadest range of subjects! English, History, Biology, Home Ec, Spanish, Economics, Ag. Science. Its only for points so im not doing Irish or Maths :P

• Advertisement

It is, considering i didnt have a clue last year what i wanted to do and was pushed into science/healthcare. Twil be fun :D Me too. Its not as bad :D Im doing the broadest range of subjects! English, History, Biology, Home Ec, Spanish, Economics, Ag. Science. Its only for points so im not doing Irish or Maths :P

Oh right at least you know now :). I need to try and get into some sort of routine with studying. Those subjects are so different. Aw I've never learnt Irish before, so lucky you're not doing maths. I'm doing geography , business , French, maths , then taking up honours english and economics I actually love all my subjects this year apart from French I wish I could drop it. My French teacher is also my English teacher which doesn't help. We just spend the time listening to him get us to translate comprehensions. My copy is completely empty for that class and English.

What subjects is everyone doing for their leaving this year? or taking up? just curious ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Leaving Cert 2011

English
    Irish
    Maths
    Geography
    Engineering
    Art
    French
    Music
    Biology (on my own outside school)

Leaving Cert 2012

English
    Irish
    Maths
    Geography
    Engineering
    Biology (now in school)
    Chemistry (new subject)
    Music
    French (now on my own outside school)

Basically dropped Art and took up Chemistry, swapped Biology and French to do Biology in an actual class instead of doing it on my own.

Last years leaving cert I did: English (O) , French(O), Maths(O) ,Engineering , Business , Geography. I only dropped engineering I didn't really want to do it again I hated the project. I dropped ordinary level english.

Firstly, awesome name :D Secondly, 100 days left is pretty scary! Its funny how at least 3 people here have picked up 2 new subjects though :D Well out of the friends ive stayed in contact since results only ones in college and the other 2 are doing plc's. Its good that your happy repeating. I had a friend that failed maths and she did everything she could not to go back. So she doing maths on her own at home and has only 250 points. Whats funny is both me and my friend have notice that she gives off the feeling that shes better than me for not repeating in school!

Thank you! :D Yeah I s'pose it it is pretty scary, the year really flies! A good lot of my friends are doing PLCs too actually so at least I'll be going into my first year of college at the same time as them. :) I was going to just repeat Maths and maybe one other but I decided I'd be better off doing the lot. You only live once like! :P

• Advertisement

Togepi wrote: »
    Thank you! :D Yeah I s'pose it it is pretty scary, the year really flies! A good lot of my friends are doing PLCs too actually so at least I'll be going into my first year of college at the same time as them. :) I was going to just repeat Maths and maybe one other but I decided I'd be better off doing the lot. You only live once like! :P

Yup, and i like it that way plus the new friends ive made in school will be in college at the same time as me. I think it makes more sense especially if you want to improve on the grades you had before. Its only one extra year and its not going to kill ya :D

Just thought id go ahead

LC 2011
    • Irish (O)
    • English (H)
    • Maths (O) dropped after mocks. Wish i dropped a lot earlier
    • History (H)
    • Biology (H)
    • Home Ec (H)
    • Spanish (H)
    LC 2012
    • English (H)
    • History (H)
    • Biology (H)
    • Home Ec (H)
    • Spanish (H)
    • Ag Science (H)
    • Economics (H)

Leaving Cert 2011:
    (Ah, memories!) :P

Irish
    English
    Maths (Ordinary)
    French
    DCG
    Art
    History

Leaving Cert 2012:

Irish
    English
    Maths
    French
    DCG
    Phys/Chem

In other words, dropped History and Art, took up Phys/Chem and moved to Higher Maths.

What did everyone think of Trinity? what talks did you go to if any?

What did everyone think of Trinity? what talks did you go to if any?

In all honesty...i didn't like it much. I didn't like the vibe i got from the place and the weather didnt help. I was never bothered about Trinity anyway. UCD for the win :D Im curious about everyone else

In all honesty...i didn't like it much. I didn't like the vibe i got from the place and the weather didnt help. I was never bothered about Trinity anyway. UCD for the win :D Im curious about everyone else

Yeah I thought the same I went to one talk for my friend. The university feels to prestigious , and not really for me. I don't like the ground with the stones either. It seems okay for others just not for me.

Yeah I thought the same I went to one talk for my friend. The university feels to prestigious , and not really for me. I don't like the ground with the stones either. It seems okay for others just not for me.

Exactly. I really only went cause i have a friend doing nursing there and was begging me to go there next year. Im now definitely set on UCD. Whats funny was i was actually thinking about the cobble stones. What a pain in the ass!

Exactly. I really only went cause i have a friend doing nursing there and was begging me to go there next year. Im now definitely set on UCD. Whats funny was i was actually thinking about the cobble stones. What a pain in the ass!

Haha yeah the cobble stones seem like they're really slippery in the rain. I think my first choice is dcu then nci.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 GGGareth

Bit late into the thread but I thought I'd join in as I'm taking a break from today's study for tomorrow's tests. Being back was fairly strange at the start. There's not a chance I would have been able to do it if my best friend wasn't. Last year the two of us were the only ones in our year that always said "there's no way we're repeating next year". Funny how things turn out. I thought I'd really hate most of the year too but I like the majority of them much more than my original leaving cert year. Points wise I did brutal in June. Ended up failing 2 of my 3 honor level subjects. I missed out on my course by only one honor grade too.
    This year I'm only doing 6 subjects, and thankfully that doesn't include Irish or maths. I have about 2 days worth of study classes a week which really I'd want to start making more use of. I've moved up to honors level English which is going really well. Just have to catch up on a few poems and all of Hamlet. Dropped business and took up geography. After failing just about every biology test I've been getting 70-95% in each class test since.
    The only real problem I'm having is I feel a lot more pressure this year. I think that because you're repeating people always always "Oh, you should find this easy" whereas I'm like "No really, I'm repeating for a reason". I keep making the joke that this year for me is just like going into leaving cert for the first time. Learnt a lot last year. Hoping this year goes a lot better :)

GGGareth wrote: »
    Bit late into the thread but I thought I'd join in as I'm taking a break from today's study for tomorrow's tests. Being back was fairly strange at the start. There's not a chance I would have been able to do it if my best friend wasn't. Last year the two of us were the only ones in our year that always said "there's no way we're repeating next year". Funny how things turn out. I thought I'd really hate most of the year too but I like the majority of them much more than my original leaving cert year. Points wise I did brutal in June. Ended up failing 2 of my 3 honor level subjects. I missed out on my course by only one honor grade too.
    This year I'm only doing 6 subjects, and thankfully that doesn't include Irish or maths. I have about 2 days worth of study classes a week which really I'd want to start making more use of. I've moved up to honors level English which is going really well. Just have to catch up on a few poems and all of Hamlet. Dropped business and took up geography. After failing just about every biology test I've been getting 70-95% in each class test since.
    The only real problem I'm having is I feel a lot more pressure this year. I think that because you're repeating people always always "Oh, you should find this easy" whereas I'm like "No really, I'm repeating for a reason". I keep making the joke that this year for me is just like going into leaving cert for the first time. Learnt a lot last year. Hoping this year goes a lot better :)

Thats the exact same as me :D Thought i'd never have to repeat but at least i was open to it when i needed to be! I have about a day and a half free with no Irish, Maths and LCVP. Its not to bad but it does get boring considering i type all my notes and essays out (its much faster). At the TCD open day i was told that i shouldnt aim to high as i dont want to be dissapointed like last year and i was like if i dont get what i want this year, repeating was a waste! I feel like im learning a lot more as i have pretty much no distractions and i find my subjects are more interesting as a result. We all hope it goes better :D

GGGareth wrote: »

I'm the same I did awful in mine too I failed one of my honours and one ordinary , the rest of the grades weren't the best either. I told myself last year I'd never repeat and that I'd at least make 290 points I didn't even make that. The pressure is definitely on I feel like I want my course more than ever before , I can't repeat again no way. I will be so upset if I do not get the grades for that course. I just keep reminding myself what I want to achieve. I might actually stop going out next year and just stay in studying maybe go out once a month. I'd feel like I wasted the year if I don't get the course I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

Anybody repeating honors maths? :rolleyes:

Random complaint but the internet on my laptop wont work and I need to do stuff for study on it! Im just happy I have my phone!

crayon1 wrote: »
    Anybody repeating honors maths? :rolleyes:

Well I'm taking it up this year, did ordinary last year. What do you think of the project Maths stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

I haven't really gotten to any of the project maths.....been all paper 1! How are you finding it?

crayon1 wrote: »
    I haven't really gotten to any of the project maths.....been all paper 1! How are you finding it?

Some of it's fine but I find some parts very difficult! I actually like the project Maths stuff though so far, it's probably easier than the old course (for me anyway). :)

How's everyone's exam timetable compared to last year? Mines not too bad i don't think. I'm only off two days later. Strangely enough i only have 1 full day and 9 days off in the middle :confused: I'm not sure if i like it or despise it

I'm not off until the 20th this year I'm like one of the last off. I have 6 days from the 14th to study Economics. Last year I was in everyday so I was off on the 15th I think it was. This timetable seems pretty good I like having breaks in between it gives me a chance to study.

Has anyone has christmas exams or anything yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

We had ours in November. Got 5 points less than what I got in the Leaving in June but the tests were the week right after the mid-term break. Instead of studying I went off for the week to visit friends in college so I cant really complain! And a few teachers said I probably should've have gotten a grade higher but that they're grading me harder than anyone so that I work harder to make sure I get what I want.

Does anyone else place not do mocks? my repeat place doesn't set mocks
    I don't know if this is a good or bad thing..
    It feels really close to the leaving cert as we're nearly in January , it feels like time is going so fast.
    Last year I was thinking differently.

• Advertisement

This year's timetable is a lot nicer for me, I had no days off last year. Now I'm off five days later (the 20th) but it's much better!

Advertisement