Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you flip the bird?

Options
  • 26-11-2011 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Doing a roast chicken tomorrow and usually I just put it in the oven, breast up, but I see a few recipes online where they recommend starting the roast breast down for about 20mins before flipping it. I assume it's to get the breast juicy or something, but I have to say I've never had a problem with a moist breast. Is that all it is, or is there some unknown benefit of starting a roast ass up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Yes, I flip the bird -- good method to get moist breast and crispy skin. To get the crispy skin you start roasting at very high heat, like 250 degrees, with the breast down, so it's shielded a bit from the initial heat. When it's browned after about 15-20 minutes, flip the bird and baste with whatever (I use a soy sauce/ginger/honey combo) and continue roasting at the high heat til browned, maybe 10 minutes, then turn down to about 190, add veg and roast, basting now and then, til done.

Crispy skin, moist breast.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you rub some lemon over the skin when you flip it back you get lovely crispy skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

my son recommends flipping the bird after cooking as it settles for 15-20mins :) Yes there is a very noticeable difference in both the consistency and taste of the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Yep. I flip it. I found out how juicy it makes the bird after one day I accidently cooked it up side down :D

It was the best roast chicken ever, and now regularly cook it the wrong way up. Not as crispy, but amazingly juicy.

Nope.

We always roast chickens upside-down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I find flipping half way through does produce a more moist breast meat. My mother always did it. But I have never heard any of the professional chefs suggesting it on TV but maybe I just missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Thanks all. I have a vague recollection of Oliver doing it, but I think that was a turkey, so a different beast altogether. I'll try it myself and let y'all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Always cook mine breast down, turn it over for the last 20 to 30 mins. Works for me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

corblimey wrote: »
    Thanks all. I have a vague recollection of Oliver doing it, but I think that was a turkey, so a different beast altogether. I'll try it myself and let y'all know.

Different bird, but same result I think- juicy. I stopped enclosing it in foil as it seemed to steam it and then it ended up tasteless. I just put the foil on the legs to stop them from cremating. I tried cutting the legs off first and freezing them but then tended to forget all about them for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Yep, always roast it upside-down until the final 20 minutes. Do the same with turkey, although it's advisable to have someone to help you flip it, as it can be a bit hairy trying to man-handle a 16 pound, slippery, scalding hot bird. I always brine my turkey too, it makes a huge difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement