Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay related issue with work

Options
  • 26-11-2011 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum for this, but was looking for advice/opinions.

Ive been working for the same company for just over 2 years now. At the end of September I was offered a job by another company. So, I went to my manager and explained that the other job was offering higher pay, more 'senior' work and would have me working in new areas that I could expand my skillset in. I duly handed in my notice and that was that.

About 5 hours later my manager came back to me and said that he had spoken to the head of our department and they had agreed to match the pay the other job was offering and to give me a promotion that would allow me more responsibilities and to learn new skills. They said this would come through for November, they needed some time to get things done with HR and so on (because officially there is a pay freeze n the company), but assured me it was all agreed at the higher levels necessary (the head of the department confirmed this for me too). I have a very good relationship with both my manager and the head of the department, so was delighted to accept.

However, its now the end of November and they have done nothing. I brought it up 3 times (around mid-October, the reaction I got led me to believe they had forgotten all about it), and around 3 weeks ago, to which I was told "its been put through with HR and its all in hand". However, my pay in November didnt change. Im going to have another meeting on Monday to let them know Im disappointed and want a definite answer.

Im very angry about the job I turned down to stay and about the fact a commitment was made (I dont leave the company, and they improve my terms and conditions), to which they have failed to live up to. They just seem so casual and care free about it of late that it almost seems like theyre hoping if they dont mention it Ill just forget.

How should I approach this meeting? What would you do in this situation? As I said, I have a very good relationship with my manager and think he would back me (maybe), I think its the head of the department who is holding it up...

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved from PI - think your query is better here, OP. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

congrats on the promotion.

if the company you work for is a large company it does take considerable time to finalise these arrangements. i know of similiar cases where it has taken up to 4 months for these deals to be signed off. it's not inconceiveable that a form like that could be sitting on a senior managers desk for 4 or 5 weeks to be signed off.

it is possible that if there is a pay freeze in place they have to be very careful how they organise the promotion. they may need to create a new position which they can appoint you to. there may be other people who might feel aggreived about your new position and all these things have to be considered from a hr perspective.

i wouldn't be overly concerned at this stage. if your employer has been good to you so far you can form an opinion as to whether they are good or bad employers. if you think that they're good to work for then i doubt they would've committed to offering a new title and new pay and conditions without it being approved. approval is one thing, sign off is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd not be too upset about it in the meeting, but do mention that you expect it to be back-dated when it does come into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, OP here. Thanks for the replies.

Just a quick update... Got a call off of the head of the department yesterday. Is left me feeling very disappointed. Basically that nothing will be done this side of Christmas. Reason he gave was because of how the company is performing and that hes been busy...

Reason Im disappointed by this is because I know its a load of nonsense, nothing has changed in the companies standing since September. As I said, how I feel right now is Ive passed up a good job that I had to do 3 interviews for in September. It was better than my present role in every way. Now Im stuck in this role being strung along and feeling extremely cheated. I realise Im probably not seeing things clearly at the moment because of the way I feel and since Im so close to this.

I have a one-to-one with the head of the department regards this this week (I pressed for that), so I think my course of action will be to invite my manager to the meeting (I think he'll really push things for me as much as possible) and start being stricter regards my time keeping and so on. I normally work 10 hours or more unpaid overtime a week, Im going to stop that immediately and leave at 5pm everyday from now on. Also have 19 days holidays built up over the year because Ive never had time to take any, so gonna start using them up. Was also planning on not attending the Christmas get together...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I realise Im probably not seeing things clearly at the moment because of the way I feel and since Im so close to this.

... Was also planning on not attending the Christmas get together...

I think you're seeing things pretty clearly, and are surprisingly calm about it: I'd be livid.

Agree with all your courses of action, except the last one, that would just be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

And something to be aware of: when someone says "I've been offered X and am going unless you counte-roffer" to a current employer, there's a school of HR thought that says it's best to let them go: they have leaving in their mind, and probably whatever they're given won't really change this.

It's possible that your head-of-department, or some other senior manager with a say in it, has this mindset, and that's why the promises made to you aren't being kept.

When you have your 1-on-1, focus on what the comany can offer you instead ... and good luck with the job-hunting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

JustMary wrote: »
    And something to be aware of: when someone says "I've been offered X and am going unless you counte-roffer" to a current employer, there's a school of HR thought that says it's best to let them go: they have leaving in their mind, and probably whatever they're given won't really change this.

I remember reading somewhere, but can't remember where, that the majority of people who accept a counter offer from their current employer will end up leaving in a year. It was the case for me anyway. That indicates to me that a financial counter offer only papers over some underlying issues that don't end up getting resolved.

Advertisement