Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best .17hmr round

Options
  • 26-11-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

As a newcomer to the world of .17hmr can users recommend a round they have had good results with. My intention is to use it to tackle vermin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

Hornandy 17 grain(red ballistic tip) is your man excellent round & the 20 grain hollow point,also used the federal 17 grain (black ballistic tip) with good results Hornandy have the slight edge .Stay away from Remington (Gold Ballistic Tip) Too many misfires for comfort in my experience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Horndy 20gr hollow point is an excellent round

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

new with it myself but having good results with the hornady. trying federal next when i give the shotty a rest.

Try both and see what groups best in your rifle. just because hornady works for one person, doesnt mean it will group better than federal for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Im using federal vshok now and dont like them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Found the 20gr hornady the best myself but i was shooting rabbits for eating and foxes. if your not eating them the 17gr are a couple of quid cheaper and flatter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

I used to use either hornady or federal 17gr v-max. The hornady had slightly better accuracy, but the trajectory of both was identical.
    I tried the 20gr hollow points, but found that they werent accurate enough for my liking, and also i found that the shoulder of the case would split about 90% of the time with these

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

I'll probably still try a few types when I'm zeroing, but I'd be suppressed if the Hornady 17grain doesn't come up trumps from all I'm hearing. It will be a few weeks before I collect it ( gone for threading) but I'll let ye know how I get on.
    Thanks a million for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Depend's on what type rifle youv'e got,different rifles like different round's, go and get all the different round's and try them you'rself, although they are all loaded by CCI to the same specifacitation they don't perform the same.

Found the 20gr hornady the best myself but i was shooting rabbits for eating and foxes. if your not eating them the 17gr are a couple of quid cheaper and flatter
    17gr are actually dearer than the 20gr, almost twice the price where i'm buying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

marlin vs wrote: »
    17gr are actually dearer than the 20gr, almost twice the price where i'm buying them.
    How much you payin for them ya mad yoke???!!! i was payin €19 for a box of 20gr and €17 for a box of 17gr

• Advertisement

Last time €13 for 20gr and he wanted €19 for 17gr so I bought the cheaper ones and the p.o.i. wasn't worth talking about out to about 120 yrds, i'd rather the 17s but the price wasn't worth it.

marlin vs wrote: »
    Last time €13 for 20gr and he wanted €19 for 17gr so I bought the cheaper ones and the p.o.i. wasn't worth talking about out to about 120 yrds, i'd rather the 17s but the price wasn't worth it.

Where was that? il have to go there to get me some 20grains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Last time I was at the range a bloke showed me a box of ammo with 13 Euro on the price stamp! Locally am paying 19 or 19.50 for 50rnds of Hornady. (cant remember the brand though but I was disgusted I way paying so much more for mine)
    My Rifle Likes Hornady and after trying any others that I cold get my hands
    on the Hornady performed best. I prefer .20g when I can get them.

Even though CCI load the ammo across all the brands I've found CCI TNT stuff , Federal and Remington to all give me lots of split necks on the rounds and less consistency. Compared to Hornady labelled ammo.

Out of a box of 50 Hornady I might get 1 split neck on a case, sometimes 2. Other branded stuff I might see 9-10 per box of 50.

~B

bullets wrote: »
    Last time I was at the range a bloke showed me a box of ammo with 13 Euro on the price stamp! Locally am paying 19 or 19.50 for 50rnds of Hornady. (cant remember the brand though but I was disgusted I way paying so much more for mine)
    My Rifle Likes Hornady and after trying any others that I cold get my hands
    on the Hornady performed best. I prefer .20g when I can get them.

Even though CCI load the ammo across all the brands I've found CCI TNT stuff , Federal and Remington to all give me lots of split necks on the rounds and less consistency. Compared to Hornady labelled ammo.

Out of a box of 50 Hornady I might get 1 split neck on a case, sometimes 2. Other branded stuff I might see 9-10 per box of 50.

~B

prices depend from shop to shop. ive been quoted 15 and 18 in two different shops.

one of the lads were paying 40 euro for 20 100gr federal .243 bullets for 2 years. he's now only paying 29 euro a box for the same bullets off another local lad

Advertisement