Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clondalkin partitions

• 26-11-2011 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

hi guys i have whats known as clondalkin partitions in my house im ok with that my problem is when i walk on the floor beside the partition the floor creaks and its starting to drive me and the missus mad now is there anything i can do to try and make this a bit more quiter cheers thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

nothing to do with the partitions imho
    try screwing the floor down to the joists(not nails)
    be careful about pipes and wires though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

came across this before.

The wall is nailed to the ceiling joists and to the floor.
    As the house gets older the joists get a tiny bit smaller .

This stretches the partition .

What you are hearing when you walk near the wall is the floor joists taking your weight and pulling the nails that fix the stud to the floor.

They creak loudly .

The way I have fixed this is the pull off the skirting on one(or two) sides.

make holes in the plaster board between each stud. Not higher than the skirting to avoid filling.

Then you need to toe 5mm screws through the sole plate of the stud into the floor at an angle.
    As meercat said , by very aware of piping . Try and figure out where a wire or rad pipe maybe. And only use screw long enough to go through the plate and the thickness of the flooring. It will break your heart if you hit a pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭karl75

cheers guys il try get into it in the next day or so hopefully i can get it sorted thanks again

Advertisement