Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The barrack st challenge

Options
  • 26-11-2011 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

how many pubs are there and how much money would you need to do it in one night :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

a lot of lads i know twenty quid would see the end of their challenge

not saying this would be you op:p

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Back when I was in UCC in the 80's there were 24 pubs and it was known as the Barr-a-thon. I did a few half Barr-a-thons (glasses all the way) but never the full thing.

The coup-de-grace at the end was the visit to Jackie Lennox's. An essential element.

.... Barrack Street and Bandon Road or just Barrack Street? Back in the 80s early to mid 90s there were one or two pubs on Barrack street that were not really suited to the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Cissie Youngs was the last pub. Is that Bandon Road, Magazine Road I dont know. There used to be a stretcher race for Rag Week where teams of three competed to finish the barr a thon first. They were carrying a stretcher and one of the three had to be in the stretcher at all times!! Twas mad I tell you.

And yes, there were some pretty funky pubs there in those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I always start in Cissie's and make my way in to town. The three times we did it none of us were let into Tom Barry's so we went to the Enterprise instead. I don't know if the enterprise is even counted as part of the challenge. You wouldn't want to be on a budget doing it :P although you can always just have a drink in every second pub!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Try the Blarney Street challenge, there's proberbly more pubs there.

donalh087 wrote: »
    Cissie Youngs was the last pub. Is that Bandon Road, Magazine Road I dont know. .............

Bandon Road :)
    Lennox' is also on Bandon Road, it's not Barrack Street 'till the next junction from Lennox' on the town side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

From Bandon Road to end of Barrack St its: (if i can remember them all)

Annie Macs
    Cissie Youngs
    Mok's
    The Sportsmans
    Southside
    The Gallow's
    Bradley's
    Tom Lynch's
    Nancy Spain's (far as I know its re-opened)
    Tom Barry's
    An Realt Dearg
    Brown Derby
    Flying Enterprise
    Fordes Bar

Prob forgotten a few there aswell. But even in todays climate, thats a ridiculous amount of pubs on what is essentially one big long street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

CHealy wrote: »
    From Bandon Road to end of Barrack St its: (if i can remember them all)

Annie Macs
    Cissie Youngs
    Mok's
    The Sportsmans
    Southside
    The Gallow's
    Bradley's
    Tom Lynch's
    Nancy Spain's (far as I know its re-opened)
    Tom Barry's
    An Realt Dearg
    Brown Derby
    Flying Enterprise
    Fordes Bar

Prob forgotten a few there aswell. But even in todays climate, thats a ridiculous amount of pubs on what is essentially one big long street.

Pigalle.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

The 21st birthday challenge for the boys from the Cross was drink your way down one side of Barracka and ate your way up the other. This included eating crisps, bag of nuts in the pubs when on the "food" side of Barracka....Hard we were feckin, titanium, (actuallly most were violently sick afterwards)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

The Barrack Street challenge is also known as The 12 Pubs of Christmas this time of year. Annie Macs is the usual start point. Last year my sister was given the list of pubs in Cissie's. In fairness he also advised them to drink every second pub or do glasses of beer and to stop for food. Sound lads in Cissies, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Hi guys, I run The Gallows and have to say the buzz around this time of year is unreal, The 12 Pubs of Christmas, despite being kinda messy is the highlight of our year, you get to meet some great people and have a great laugh during these few weeks. The street gets extremely busy but there is less messing than people are led to believe.

We welcome everyone into our bar to enjoy a drink and a laugh, all the while trying to be vigilant and stop the messers from ruining everyone elses night.. Most people are out to enjoy themselves, catch up with friends and get to a reasonable level of drunkenness before staggering home! You will find it is one of the cheaper areas of the city to drink, eg. Fosters = €3!

Bit of advice from a seasoned veteran of the area (23 years in the family)..
    1. When you walk into the pub, wait till you get your drink before acting like an asshole, or better still, don't act the asshole, nobody likes assholes!
    2. Don't try and pour a nagan into your 7up in plain view. I will see you doing it, and I will absolutely ridicule you!
    3. It's not a shouting contest, you don't need to talk over each other, we can all hear you.
    4. We don't care how strong you are, lifting up your buddy in the bar and throwing him around isn't going to impress any girls, it's just going to piss the barstaff off.
    5. Don't ask to be served next, if I have 50 people come into the bar at once I have no idea who is before who, I will just serve as fast as I can. If you annoy me by asking to be next I will tell you to **** off, really I will.. wait and see!
    6. Do not come up to the bar and ask for a red bull and a pint glass, I am not a complete retard, again, I will tell you to get the **** out of my pub.
    7. Girls, don't think that I can't see you bringing your cheap ass glass of 7up to the toilet, I can, and I will be ready to grab your nagan riddled drink off you when you come out, not only am I doing you a favour, I don't want your too-cheap-to-buy-ONE-drink ass in my bar, GTFO!
    8. I can be your best friend or your worst enemy, if you treat me with respect from the off I will give you the same back in spades, usually giving the soundest person a free drink or shot or whatever the hell they want, we are not all greedy and like to have fun too.. Sambuca isn't that expensive to buy!
    9. I look forward to seeing a lot of boardsies, if you come to The Gallows you will see me, I'm always there, if you reference this thread there is a very likely chance I will pour you a shot of your choice, maybe two depending on how many friends you bring, and how hot they are :P

So enjoy yourselves, it is without doubt the best craic of the year in Cork, I absolutely love this pub crawl and hopefully I will get a night out to do it myself, if the boardsies want to arrange something let me know, Tom Barry is a friend of mine so I can inform him and the other pubs in advance you are coming, alternatively I can come with you and we'll have a kickass time. Thanks for reading :) Happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'd avoid the Gallows myself. The barman is a jerk.. and he supports Newcastle.. and they're sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Kold wrote: »
    I'd avoid the Gallows myself. The barman is a jerk.. and he supports Newcastle.. and they're sh1t.
    You will pay for this insolence.. I will find you and I will kill you..

Advertisement