Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the reason for the TV licence?

• 26-11-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

I realise this may be seen as a very stupid question but why exactly do we have to pay a TV licence fee? RTE get funding from advertising so why do they also charge an annual fee? BBC don't have any advertising..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It's to keep the licence inspectors employed so it is.

JOBS FOR THE BOYS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

I think RTE get about 50% from advertising and 50% from fees.

Obviously the BBC have a much bigger revenue so can get by without advertising.

As to the reason why we finance RTE? I guess theoretically it's about maintaining our culture. But I hardly see how that's happening when I'm watching an episode or CSI or Home and Away on RTE or when they buy US shows and dump them in the graveyard shift for no other reason than to prevent their competitors from getting them. TBH I'd just as soon leave them to their own devices and let them sink or swim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Say 2million odd housholds pay it ,so 160 euro x 2million thats a lot of cash for rte

When it was first introduced it was a tax on luxury, well you had to be rich to buy a TV before the 60s (they were the price of a car). These days it makes no sense at all to have it as a separate tax, it should just be absorbed into the general taxation system and save a fortune in collection & administration costs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Yeay for paying RTE for he pleasure of providing sh1t programming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

To keep Pat Kenny in 7 series BMWs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Kimia wrote: »
    I realise this may be seen as a very stupid question but why exactly do we have to pay a TV licence fee? RTE get funding from advertising so why do they also charge an annual fee? BBC don't have any advertising..

Whatever the pros and cons of RTE and the license, the comparison with BBC is a false one as the BBC is fairly unique in being funded exclusively by the license fee.
    A license fee + advertising is generally the norm, for example in Italy, France and Germany, though in some countries advertising is limited to certain times of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Dotrel wrote: »
    I think RTE get about 50% from advertising and 50% from fees.

Obviously the BBC have a much bigger revenue so can get by without advertising.

As to the reason why we finance RTE? I guess theoretically it's about maintaining our culture. But I hardly see how that's happening when I'm watching an episode or CSI or Home and Away on RTE or when they buy US shows and dump them in the graveyard shift for no other reason than to prevent their competitors from getting them. TBH I'd just as soon leave them to their own devices and let them sink or swim.

50% of what?

RTE's advertising rates are the highest in Ireland. How does TV3 get by without licence fees?

It seems absolutely ridiculous. Is there any way to actually push for no TV licence fee at all? Besides just not paying it.

We were moving overseas and they said we still had to pay for the full year (even though we would be away for half of it). We never did. I assume nothing's come of it as we don't have an address in Ireland any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

maxfresh wrote: »
    Say 2million odd housholds pay it ,so 160 euro x 2million thats a lot of cash for rte

There aren't that many households in the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

So that RTE can buy and show programs like Brian and Pippa get married.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Its used to fund quality programming like "Brian and Pippa get married". :rolleyes:

*Edit: amdublin bet me to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

50% of what?
    IIRC in the region of €350m-400m p/a

I think it should be voluntary - if you want RTE 1 & 2 then you pay the licence fee. If you don't pay the fee you don't get those two channels. I'd be fine without RTE sh*te shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

There aren't that many households in the state.

That's what I was thinking.

A population off (give or take) 4 million.

That'd mean, one in two of us own a gaff, and that, IMO wouldn't be the truth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

maxfresh wrote: »

And I'd say that barely half of those are required to pay the license fee, for one reason or another. Whatever amount RTE get out of it is too much though, considering the quality of output :)

rte player is annoying , the amount of ads and its pretty buggy too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

I why exactly do we have to pay a TV licence fee?

I thought that was obvious - To pay compensation to any people libelled on Primetime investigates.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its a TV tax to fund a station which pays its 'stars' way over the top for their talents. Those stars would never get a salary\fee like that anywhere else on Planet Earth.

Seriously, is there nothing that can be done about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I treat a TV License like 7up, I never have, I never will...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Populist response: "To schit on the common man, revolution!!!"

AH response: "Your ma"

Seriously, is there nothing that can be done about it?
    Abolish it and lose the costs in general taxation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

On the subject of tv licences I have a quick question. I paid it last year but didn't renew it this year. I've been broke lately and haven't had any spare cash and have bills with higher priority than the tv licence.
    I got a few notices off them and on thursday I got a legal notice off them.

So what's the next step? Will I be called to court if I don't pay it this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Dean09 wrote: »
    On the subject of tv licences I have a quick question. I paid it last year but didn't renew it this year. I've been broke lately and haven't had any spare cash and have bills with higher priority than the tv licence.

Close your blinds and don't answer the door to strangers.

That should do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

In reply to the question posed in the thread title, the reason for the TV licence is to allow you to legally own and operate a television receiver on your property.

Before the TV licence there was the radio licence to allow you to legally own and operate a radio receiver on your property.

Before we had a television station, we had television licences in Ireland as people on the East coast could receive BBC TV and the border areas had UTV.

Just as you need a licence for a firearm, a licence for a dog, a licence to drive a car, you need a TV licence if you have a TV. It doesn't matter if the TV doesn't work, if you never watch RTE, etc, etc, you still are legally required to have a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I don't have a TV license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

charlemont wrote: »

me too,

I keep it in the fridge.

eth0 wrote: »
    I don't have a TV license
    As long as you don't have a TV that's cool; if you do have a TV then join the long line of spongers, freeloaders and gombeen (wo)men ruining the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

charlemont wrote: »

i was the same until i moved house and sadly the previous occupiers had owned a tv licence so the inspector appeared at my door at 5.10 pm and i didn't realise who he was till the door was opened and i was served. oh well. i do watch a lot of rte...republic of telly, the news, reeling in the years etc etc. and i love my home and away every day.

have to say, it gets tedious not being able to open the door without thinking so having it paid now is peace of mind.

p.s. you dont have to buy a full year at a time. you can pay monthly nowadays, for those of you leaving the country and not wanting to pay for the full year understandably

mathepac wrote: »
    As long as you don't have a TV that's cool; if you do have a TV then join the long line of spongers, freeloaders and gombeen (wo)men ruining the country.

What's the weather like up there on your enormously high horse?

What's the weather like up there on your enormously high horse?
    I don't see how your infantile comment adds value to answering the question posed by OP, but I don't need a licence for a horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

IMO, the government has to be getting a pretty decent sized cut out of the license before giving RTE its share. But even then RTE must have friends within the government over the decades. Sure recently its been brought to light more that RTE get the fee and also have adverts. Nothings going to be done about it.

But this is interesting from wikipedia

Seems the TV license was first introduced in 1962.
    But more interestingly there was a Radio license in effect from 1902?!?! :eek:

I don't see how your infantile comment adds value to answering the question posed by OP, but I don't need a licence for a horse.

I was commenting on your outrageously over dramatic post inferring that people that don't pay their tv licence are ruining this country.
    I think ther's a lot more to it than that, and people not having a tv licence is the least of this countries worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Let me tell you how it will be
    There's one for you, nineteen for me
    'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
    Be thankful I don't take it all
    'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
    If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
    If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
    If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Don't ask me what I want it for
    If you don't want to pay some more

Now my advice for those who die
    Declare the pennies on your eyes
    And you're working for no one but me.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Let me tell you how it will be
    There's one for you, nineteen for me

Should five per cent appear too small
    Be thankful I don't take it all
    'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
    If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
    If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
    If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Don't ask me what I want it for
    If you don't want to pay some more

Now my advice for those who die
    Declare the pennies on your eyes
    And you're working for no one but me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

What did it say on the notices? If it was addressed to "the Occupant", that means they are fishing. Use those notices in your fire to keep you warm in the run up to Xmas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

We learn from our politicians and their businessman friends...
    i was the same until i moved house and sadly the previous occupiers had owned a tv licence so the inspector appeared at my door at 5.10 pm and i didn't realise who he was till the door was opened and i was served. oh well. i do watch a lot of rte...republic of telly, the news, reeling in the years etc etc. and i love my home and away every day.

have to say, it gets tedious not being able to open the door without thinking so having it paid now is peace of mind.

p.s. you dont have to buy a full year at a time. you can pay monthly nowadays, for those of you leaving the country and not wanting to pay for the full year understandably

I'm lucky to be living in apartments but I can see the predicament of people living in houses as its easier for the TV license inspector to find out your details. I only use my Sky box as freeview and I installed it all myself so what the TV license inspector don't know wont hurt him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

In reply to the question posed in the thread title, the reason for the TV licence is to allow you to legally own and operate a television receiver on your property.

Before the TV licence there was the radio licence to allow you to legally own and operate a radio receiver on your property.

Before we had a television station, we had television licences in Ireland as people on the East coast could receive BBC TV and the border areas had UTV.

Just as you need a licence for a firearm, a licence for a dog, a licence to drive a car, you need a TV licence if you have a TV. It doesn't matter if the TV doesn't work, if you never watch RTE, etc, etc, you still are legally required to have a licence.

lol, pull the other one.
    Encrypt it, have people pay for the service provided by RTE.

Or at least have the decency to bring it into the general taxation system, if you are going to charge people to pump propaganda into their living room via their tv - at least don't highlight it via a separate charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

As long as you don't have a TV that's cool; if you do have a TV then join the long line of spongers, freeloaders and gombeen (wo)men

Long line of spongers, freeloaders and gombeen (wo)men indeed.
    Base camp......... Montrose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

to make sure that only qualified people can watch TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Dotrel wrote: »

As to the reason why we finance RTE? I guess theoretically it's about maintaining our culture.

Eastenders and similar imports isnt' our culture. Neither do the vastly overpaid egotists on screen in RTE have anything in common with the viewers or represent proper role models for our children and citizens to identify with. Our culture survived for thousands of years without the leeches in Montrose and for hundreds of years under very harsh dangerous hostile conditions. RTE never has and does not equal the Irish nation or Irish culture. To believe so is to swallow the worst of RTE propaganda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭missvirgo

Same as having a Gun Licence...

If you decide to take it apart & rewire it into some explosive device to cause serious injury or harm, they can trace it back to you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

missvirgo wrote: »
    Same as having a Gun Licence...

If you decide to take it apart & rewire it into some explosive device to cause serious injury or harm, they can trace it back to you...

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Just as you need a licence for a firearm, a licence for a dog, a licence to drive a car, you need a TV licence if you have a TV.

But why a TV? Why not a licence for a toaster? Maybe because the state doesn't own Johnston Mooney & O'Brien?

Most people that have a problem with this levy are annoyed because they don't think enjoying TV is the same thing as watching Ryan Tubridy make goo goo eyes with some D list celeb with a book or CD to sell. I don't know many who really want RTE to be closed down, I know plenty of people who don't watch it who don't feel like having to fund it for another minute. Why is this so hard? Those that want it can pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

It should be an RTE license. Oh wait, then they couldn't apply it to people that don't watch it, or fish to try and apply it to people that have computers (without TV tuners) in the future, but don't want TV.
    It's ridiculous that you're automatically bundled and expected to pay no matter what; if you watch RTE or not.
    That'd be like Sky automatically forcing you to pay for packages you didn't sign up for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

best thing anyone who is fed up with the associated costs of tv is to give the damn thing up-once are used to it will never miss it.

apparently the tv licence pays for the BBCs website and radio stations to,plus have heard they split some of the money to different stations who already get in money through advertising,the BBC thinks thats value for money,well have not had a tv in years and its so much better value and freedom-if wanted to watch turd in a box woud go stare at the cats litter tray,at least that doesnt cost anything and its three dimensional with smellovision -beat that BBC. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dodgydes

Untitled.jpg

Look at the sports bird on rte news, worth every penny of licence fee!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Scruffles wrote: »
    best thing anyone who is fed up with the associated costs of tv is to give the damn thing up-once are used to it will never miss it.

apparently the tv licence pays for the BBCs website and radio stations to,plus have heard they split some of the money to different stations who already get in money through advertising,the BBC thinks thats value for money,well have not had a tv in years and its so much better value and freedom-if wanted to watch turd in a box woud go stare at the cats litter tray,at least that doesnt cost anything and its three dimensional with smellovision -beat that BBC. :cool:
    In a world where the only use for a TV would be getting TV channels, that'd work. However, this doesn't work for people that use their TVs for their games consoles/DVD players/HTPCs (downloaded content), etc. They shouldn't have to pay for RTE when they don't use RTE or other "direct broadcasts (non-downloaded/ripped stuff)" - especially RTE. What if, somehow, they decide to extend it to cover Computers (With the logic that people can download/stream everything). What's the solution then; get rid of TV, computer, almost every form of home entertainment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

To keep Pat Kenny in 7 series BMWs.
    FYP

• Advertisement
Advertisement