Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Managing children!

• 26-11-2011 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭

So here is the delimma. I've a 2yo and a 4yo and I've no option but to have them with me when I'm doing my jobs. Given my wife can be gone for a few days at a time with work and I've no grannies to drop them with, what do others do with them?

It's grand on the days when its only 10-20mins to do a bit of foddering, but as I work full time, there is often other work that needs to be done as well. You know the story!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

have 3 kids 10,7 and 3.. pity to say sky tv is a saviour! youngest goes to playschool 5 mornings a week... so i can get some work done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭agcons

You have to do what you have to do. Make sure you have seats with seat belts on the tractor. They literally saved a life one day when I was on the bog with them.
    I got a buggy in the states years ago which was designed for joggers who bring the baby strapped into it when they go jogging. Deadly around the farm, big pumped wheels and sturdy, plus the kid strapped into it is safe.
    Having them around the yard will certainly make you very safety conscious but its good for them as they grow up to see a farm and farmer working, something non farm children miss out on. The biggest danger is having their friends, cousins etc on site who are not familiar with farms and the dangers they pose, although at 2 and 4 you re probably not at that stage yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

+1 on the seat belts,bought an old jeep this year and find it handy as i can take the children with me when im feeding calves,fencing, moving stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I would be of the opinion that it is next to impossible to do any real work safely with two kids, 2 and 4 in tow!

Maybe a local teenager could watch them for a couple of hours as required?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Along the lines of replies so far, keeping them belted in the scenic is what I'm at. I just don't want to brown them off the farm though by leaving them like this for too long! Also the 4yo can now release his own seat belt:eek:

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    I would be of the opinion that it is next to impossible to do any real work safely with two kids, 2 and 4 in tow!

No doubt the best solution Bizzum and probably one that I'll have to look into;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Have a 3 yo, Coming with me since 6 mts, have a hi-viz jacket for him, makes it easier to keep an eye on him, & the rule is stay with me at all times, he is always in site,

When the tractor is going he is always in the cab with me. You have to be strict and be very aware of the dangers, what can fall on him, what can he fall in to etc etc

he loves it, it is really great, he knows the pigs go to the butcher and the pork we eat is from the pigs that were running around a few weeks earlier.

also have a 1yo & she comes in the buggy :)

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Bizzum wrote: »

Problem is during the week there isn't anyone available for a few hours.
    I try a. No children policy if any machinery is being used but it is hard all the time.
    I bring the car where I can see it and stick on a children's songs cd.
    I worked on one farm where a three year old was lost for a few hours, it was awful. Sadly I worked on another where a five year old was killed by a tractor.
    There is no perfect solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

thats why i leave them in the house , with outside door closed , have a big fear of farm machinery and the kids... the youngest lad went missing one day, i nearly died, he was in the car the whole time !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Headrest mounted dvd players? might buy you a little more time.

maybe buy an old vitara and put some big balloon tyres on it and use it instead of the tractor when doing things like fencing?

no free solutions though :(

• Advertisement

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Headrest mounted dvd players? might buy you a little more time.

maybe buy an old vitara and put some big balloon tyres on it and use it instead of the tractor when doing things like fencing?

no free solutions though :(

Thanks JohnBoy

The OH would kill me if she found DVD players in my car! I'd chance it if I could trust the 2 of them not to squel on me:D. We've a TV free zone but for matches and the like so it's a big no no!

The old vitara is a gr8 idea as if it is only for personal use on the farm I assume there would be no need for nct, tax, insurance etc? Never mind the kids, I'd knock plenty of use out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

if the farm is all in one block of land then yeah technically you dont need anything if you never go on the road, but beware if you have a farm accident involving it then your farm insurance will probably not be interested in helping out.

Advertisement