Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time off for working a weekend?

Options
  • 26-11-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

The obvious answer is probably yes, but I'm not sure if I can claim time off??

I was away with work for a week - flew out on Wednesday, back the following Wednesday, flights, hotel and meals all paid for. Worked every day, couple of late evenings, no time off really. Normal working week is Monday to Friday, but despite being back over a week, there's been no mention of time in lieu or an overtime payment. There is nothing definitive on the NERA website, so does anyone know if there is an entitlement to the time in lieu or overtime? Unfotunately NERA's office is closed by the time I finish work and my employer isn't really the type who would be thrilled I was rinigng them, but I'd like to know before I challenge him. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Hello

Are you paid a wage or salary ?

Those on salary dont get overtime but usually a productivity bonus, mind you thats mostly gone in current climate.

I heard of people who go places for work, they drive there and back and get subsistance allowance etc however for time for the traveling etc tought luck

I have heard of people on the clock (flexi) only being allowed to claim for a max number of hours, anything over that tough

Be careful the way jobs are at the moment, If you take maritime sailors, trawlermen etc. They are away from home for an extended period of time and if the work at night its part of the job, no overtime and limited time off. I hear they can work 6 weeks non stop and then get 2 weeks off. So they loose 12 days cause of lost weekends but only get 10 working days off.

Best of luck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Depends what your contract says about overtime but by default I can't think of anything back up such a demand from a law perspective (open for correction though).

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

Thanks for the replies - had a look at my contract (things aren't great in work anyway at the moment :() There's a clause that says that if I have to travel over the weekend to get to somewhere that I don't get that time back or overtime (its mentions that this is normal in the industry - but I checked with P.A's - which is what I am - in the industry in other companies and they do get time back or overtime, senior mangement don't) but I had thought that working all day Saturday and Sunday should entitle me to time off in lieu - will see how things progress this week. I think there are a number of employers are abusing the recession and are starting to take the pi$$ :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I have to travel with work occasionally, and I don't get any time in lieu, per diem or allowance. Doesn't matter if I'm travelling over a weekend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Eoin wrote: »
    I have to travel with work occasionally, and I don't get any time in lieu, per diem or allowance. Doesn't matter if I'm travelling over a weekend.

Same here, my experience is that most people tend not to get compensated in any way for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Were you actually working on Sat and Sunday, or just away from home?

If you were actually doing work, then I'd expect days of in lieu - and I'd expect this to have been discussed before you left.

What did your manager say when you asked about it?

@Just Mary was working Saturday from 8 a.m . til aroudn 8 p.m. & Sunday 8 a.m. til 9 p.m. - had an hours lunch on each day.

Its probably a lost cause to be honest

Sorry, I should have read your post properly. If I was actually working on a weekend as opposed to just travelling, then I'd get time in lieu. But I don't know if that's just our policy or law.

@Just Mary was working Saturday from 8 a.m . til aroudn 8 p.m. & Sunday 8 a.m. til 9 p.m. - had an hours lunch on each day.

Its probably a lost cause to be honest

In that case, you should ask your manager when they want you to take the days in lieu!

Don't ask if you can ... assume that of course you will have to, and behave accordingly!

Thanks guys - reviewing my options at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I did a fair bit of traveling in the first quarter of this year. Took time in lieu, received nine days in total. This included travel time.

My view is that if I don't get time back in lieu for traveling, then you don't have any problem with my journey beginning on Monday morning. I'm a professional and I expect to be compensated for my time. Not much, mind. :)

Thanks for all your replies, things have really plummeted at work to the point where I started looking for another job, and really delighted to say I was offered a new job today!!! So have a meeting with my horrible soon to be ex boss on Friday where I will tell him exactly how I feel about his horrible bullying intimidation tactics and top it off with giving him one weeks notice but as I have 4 days a/l that he made me keep for Christmas and 2 days in lieu I'll be off and facing 2012 with a lively new exciting role :p

Well done - a word of caution though. You're not entitled to use leave as part of your notice period; your company can choose to pay you instead.

Also, it's a small country. There's really very little to be gained by ranting when you're leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

mbiking123 wrote: »
    Hello

If you take maritime sailors, trawlermen etc. They are away from home for an extended period of time and if the work at night its part of the job, no overtime and limited time off. I hear they can work 6 weeks non stop and then get 2 weeks off. So they loose 12 days cause of lost weekends but only get 10 working days off.

Most seafarers these days work 1 month on, 1 month off, or some varient of that! You get paid for your month on and paid for your month off too. ie. you work 1 day and get 1 day's paid holiday too. Also due to regulations set down in the 'Hours of Rest' for all seafarers, you can only work 10hrs rest in any 24hr period, 6hr of which must be unbroken, unless of course there is eminiate danger to the ship or someones life. These regs are very clearly set down by the Dept. of Transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

So have a meeting with my horrible soon to be ex boss on Friday where I will tell him exactly how I feel about his horrible bullying intimidation tactics and top it off with giving him one weeks notice but as I have 4 days a/l that he made me keep for Christmas and 2 days in lieu I'll be off and facing 2012 with a lively new exciting role :p

Don't do this. It would be a massive mistake.

First, your going out with a bang could backfire. Your boss could turn the tables and make you feel very lousy. He might delay your final pay, P45, or any other amount of tricks.. or he might even phone up your new employer and warn them not to employ you. This occasionally does happen. Who can say it's against the law?

You might be looking for a reference some day - perhaps from an overzealous future employer.

Work adequate notice. You will get paid for your AL accrued. The days off in lieu, however, look a bit shaky. I would never hand in my notice without using up all time off owed (except AL)

Just leave with a bit of grace and respect.

Just an update, spoke with NERA, the SFA and my solicitors and based on everything, they advised me that I could actually claim for constructive dismissal, don't want to go down that path tbh. So am going to resign but be very clear that the reasons I'm doing so is because of the treatment I have relieved and have been left with no alternative. Will most definitely leave with my dignity intact, but will not be working out a notice period as I cannot stand to be in the same room as the boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Just an update, spoke with NERA, the SFA and my solicitors and based on everything, they advised me that I could actually claim for constructive dismissal, don't want to go down that path tbh. So am going to resign but be very clear that the reasons I'm doing so is because of the treatment I have relieved and have been left with no alternative. Will most definitely leave with my dignity intact, but will not be working out a notice period as I cannot stand to be in the same room as the boss.

NERA staff get paid to tell you that. And you're paying your solicitor to say it.

I know a guy who had already left his old job and was due to start his new job when he got a phonecall from HR who asked him for a reference from his old employer (obviously requested due to some whisperings heard on the grapevine, as he had already accepted the job offer).. his old employer refused to provide one so the new job fell through. It left him unemployed and unemployable.

If your boss asks about notice or "when's your last day", simply say "Actually my new employer wants me to start immediately" (or, "I want to spend time over Christmas with my family before I start my new role"). If he pushes you, say "I have enough time in lieu and annual leave to make up for any notice I am owed" or something similar.

That's my advice anyway.. be sure to post back and tell us how you got on!

+1

Don't burn bridges, Ireland is really a very small village.

Just to update and close this off:

Stood up for myself and wrote to now ex employer and laid out very plainly why I could no longer work for him and was resigning with immediate effect. He emailed me back to clarify (indicating he was too busy to read through my explanations) so I replied and confirmed that this was my final decision. resignation was accepted via email, AND I started my new job on Monday, crazy busy, but it's great. So really looking forward to the new year and getting stuck in to an interesting and challenging role. Not going to name and shame although I would love to, but as one responder mentioned Ireland is a small village and you never know, but I'm sure one day ex employer will get his :confused:

Thanks for all the replies and the support/advice:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Aye Bosun wrote: »
    mbiking123 wrote: »
    Hello

If you take maritime sailors, trawlermen etc. They are away from home for an extended period of time and if the work at night its part of the job, no overtime and limited time off. I hear they can work 6 weeks non stop and then get 2 weeks off. So they loose 12 days cause of lost weekends but only get 10 working days off.

Most seafarers these days work 1 month on, 1 month off, or some varient of that! You get paid for your month on and paid for your month off too. ie. you work 1 day and get 1 day's paid holiday too. Also due to regulations set down in the 'Hours of Rest' for all seafarers, you can only work 10hrs rest in any 24hr period, 6hr of which must be unbroken, unless of course there is eminiate danger to the ship or someones life. These regs are very clearly set down by the Dept. of Transport.

Wish I got that back in the day, and my cousin used to be in Merchant navy but ship registered under different country but operating in Ireland. he told me H&S out the porthole (window)

The guys doing 6 weeks on and 2 weeks off are the guys doing security off Somalia

• Advertisement
Advertisement