Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract: 15h . Worked 6h

Options
  • 26-11-2011 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, just started working in multi-chain supermarket under a temp x-mas contract this week.

Signed a contract this day last week, for 15 hour weeks. Only worked 3 hours on Wednesday and Thursday night (was put down for 4 hours per night), and meant to be working Friday and Saturday (was told not to come in).

So where I was meant to be working 16 hours this week, I only worked 6 (and 4 hours for an induction - if that's counted?). Am I entitled to pay/something for the hours I was meant to have worked?

Lee.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I';ve worked for them for years. I think once I was given 13.5 hours on the roster and said it to HR and they bumped it up. They take your contract and your rights seriously. In saying that though, I'm not sure your very first week will count in the same way as normal because you weren't employed by them for a few days of that week. I know that I only worked about 12 hours in my first week- including induction, because you get paid for that. I would let it go, but keep a firm eye on the roster. This is unlikely to be anything other than it being your first week, they really are not con artists in that regard. Also, when you are adding up your hours- lunches don't count, so subtract all of them. Breaks don't count either, if your shift just includes a break. But if you have a lunch and a break (so working 8.5 hours or more) then that break counts..but that lunch still doesn't.

HR and your direct manager are the ones you need to be telling if you spot this on the roster again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

HR and your direct manager are the ones you need to be telling if you spot this on the roster again.

Thanks for the quick reply. I worked 3 hours on Wed night and the night manager said to head home there wasn't enough work. Same on Thursday night, and he said not to bother coming in Friday/tonight. I was only meant to work 4 hour shifts from 8-12 so there would be no breaks in there anyways.

I'll keep an eye out for next week when HR rings with my hours, if it happens again I'll say something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

a contract is a contract, you were available to work the hours, and should get paid regardless

Advertisement