Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can you find out if a motherboard is compatible with a processor?

Options

Comments

I found it hard to believe your post.....then I looked at your post count

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭John mac

have a read of this first.
    should give you an insight into whats involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

You need a board with an intel socket 1155 like these http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/catalog/ZKB_01COM/15_MOBO/02_INT1155/default.aspx
    What are you using the computer for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

:confused:

WHAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I am building my own computer and im pretty new to this so i dont know if things are compatible or not.
    1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

Not everyone is as clever as you. Everyone starts somewhere man, dont be an ass.
    I am building my own computer and im pretty new to this so i dont know if things are compatible or not.

I was thinking of buying this processor , http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-2600-Processor-3-4GHz-LGA1155/dp/B004EBUXSU/ref=sr_1_2? ,but i just realised that i dont know what motherboards are compatible.

also if have any other advice on parts compatibility, i would be very greatful :)

To see if a processor works with a particular socket type, you need to look at the number for the processor socket. It will be listed on the processor and the board, if the numbers are the same, you're good to go!

The i3, i5 and i7 models currently use the 1155 socket, so any board with this socket will be fine for that processor.

Do you plan to overclock? (If you dont know what this is, don't buy a model with "k" at the end as you'll be spending extra money for no reason)

Also, the i5 2500k is cheaper than the i7. The only real difference is something called hyper threading which you'll only make use of on specific work like work-heavy video editing and such. You'll save money and have the same power, saved money can then be spent on buying better components in other areas of the build.

If you have any more questions or want more advice, post again here. No questions are stupid!

Not everyone is as clever as you. Everyone starts somewhere man, dont be an ass.

Jasus! chill the beans! im no genius at computers but I know when I can spot a troll and im pretty sure the op is one. (open to correction)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Anderson0702

Thanks, that's helped me loads :) Also (sorry if this is dumb) i was thinking of getting an nVidia gtx560 and i was wondering if i needed a different power supply? my current power supply is http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Certified-Compatible-platforms/dp/B004LB5AZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322406441&sr=8-1 . The computer will be used for maily gaming by the way

Sorry Bezka if i sounded stupid, but this is my first computer build and i really dont know what im doing

Thanks, that's helped me loads :) Also (sorry if this is dumb) i was thinking of getting an nVidia gtx560 and i was wondering if i needed a different power supply? my current power supply is http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Certified-Compatible-platforms/dp/B004LB5AZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322406441&sr=8-1 ,

OP is back! I apologise for presuming you were a troll :) didnt believe it since it was your first post on the site.
    go to dabs.ie or hardwareversand.de for pc stuff. everything is spilt up into sections. much easier to know what will work with what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

It's hard for people to help you when your giving out bit and pieces of information. Go to post #6 and answer the questions. It will then be much easier to help you with what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ojola

check the data sheet of the board you are planning to buy. It definitely will say which processors are supported.

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

Hey Anderson, if you copy and paste these questions and fill in everything, we'll be able to give you the best help. Makes sure you wont overlook or miss anything.

In regards to your question, If you're looking at getting a 560 you'd be better off paying a little extra and getting the 560ti card. You'll need two PCI-E 6 pin power connectors as the higher end cards use that. But if you answer the form thing, we can get into all that.

1. What is your budget? 700-800€

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Online and offline gaming and possibly video editing. Skyrim, Battlefield 3, arkham city etc

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No im buying all new parts

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 22'

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? A wireless card

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes, but i dont understand it completely

8. How can you pay? Credit card

9. When are you purchasing? Within this week if possible

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? i was goin to try build it myself but im starting to doubt myself :D Dublin

THANK YOU! Im just wondering if would a 65gb ssd be enough to store games, or would i be better off getting a hdd with higher storage space?

I personally wouldn't get an SSD on the budget you're on, they're more of a luxury item for a more flexible budget, if you need to a buy HDD too you probably cant afford both at current pricing.

I would PERSONALLY got for an i3 processor over an AMD one, but that's just my taste, apart from this, Bezka's build is very solid.

(If you dont need to buy a hdd, drop the ssd and get a better graphics card, An Asus 560ti is only about €170 on amazon and will blow that card out of the water. If you're using it for gaming, it's probably the most important part.)

THANK YOU! Im just wondering if would a 65gb ssd be enough to store games, or would i be better off getting a hdd with higher storage space?

a 64gb ssd should keep you going until hard drives come down in price provided you dont store any media on your pc,

hopefully in 1-2 months hard drives will be back to their normal prices. a 1tb drive last month was under €40: now its over €100

do you have any old hard drives lying around?

oh, and im sure someone else will come up a different build to mine

a 64gb ssd should keep you going until hard drives come down in price provided you dont store any media on your pc,

hopefully in 1-2 months hard drives will be back to their normal prices. a 1tb drive last month was under €40: now its over €100

do you have any old hard drives lying around?

oh, and im sure someone else will come up a different build to mine

They're saying prices might not normalize full for the next 6-12 months unfortunately :(

(If you dont need to buy a hdd, drop the ssd and get a better graphics card, An Asus 560ti is only about €170 on amazon and will blow that card out of the water. If you're using it for gaming, it's probably the most important part.)

ya Anderson, you could get a much better graphics card then the one I had included - and you will probably need a better one to cope with bf3 if you get it.
    all depends on your budget and what parts you have lying around

monitors are quite expensive on dabs so you could probably save some more money if you look around
    and you can get windows 7 professional for €45 if you or a relative is a student or a teacher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

Try pixmania.ie for a monitor as quite good offers on small and large monitors.

dabs.ie is quite expensive for sourcing parts for PC building, look towards the UK PC building sites like overclockers.co.uk, scan.co.uk and ksn-online.co.uk.

Also Amazon sell OEM versions of Windows 7 as you will be installing from scratch and not upgrading, check the above UK websites for copies of Windows 7 OEM.

is the AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.5Ghz Black Edition AM3 a good processor?what is the intel equivalent? Would this be better http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-266-AM?

is the AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.5Ghz Black Edition AM3 a good processor?what is the intel equivalent? Would this be better http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-266-AM?

link not working for me

the main reason I put an amd processor in the list is because your on a small budget and amd usually offer more performance per €. but Intel do have better performing cpus
    amd's newer am3+ fx4100 3.6ghz is about €105. that could be another option and its also unlocked for easy overclocking

the link was just the one you showed me

I'm no familiar with amd cpu's but I think the AMD FX-4100 is the better of the two.

If it were me building, I'd probably go for an i3. it uses the same 1155 socket as the higher end i5 and i7 processors which gives you the opportunity to upgrade the machine in future if needs be. Don't take my word for it though, it's simply an option to consider.

is the i3 good? what is the difference between i3 and i5

i just ordered the computer, thanks for all the help

Advertisement