Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Characteristics of good and bad lecturers in DIT

Options
  • 27-11-2011 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

We all have good and bad lecturers. What do you consider to be the characteristics of good and bad lecturers?

Good lecturers
    1. Ability to break down complex information so that the class understand it.

Bad lecturers
    1. Read notes from powerpoint word for word.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Good lecturers

Bad lecturers
    2. The above and fails to notice mistakes in their powerpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Good lecturers
    2. Go out of their way to help you, will meet you after class
    3. Listen to what you have to say.
    Bad lecturers
    2. The above and fails to notice mistakes in their powerpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Good lecturers
    4. have a sense of humour
    Bad lecturers
    3. only attend twenty minutes of a two hour lab

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭overshoot

Good lecturers
    4. have a sense of humour
    5. communicates with other lecturers to avoid important hand ups clashing
    Bad lecturers
    3. only attend twenty minutes of a two hour lab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Student Times

Good lecturers
    Ability to break down complex information so that the class understand it.
    Go out of their way to help you, will meet you after class
    Listen to what you have to say.
    have a sense of humour
    communicates with other lecturers to avoid important hand ups clashing

Bad lecturers
    Read notes from powerpoint word for word.
    The above and fails to notice mistakes in their powerpoint.
    only attend twenty minutes of a two hour lab
    Tries to put down anyone that asks a question due to their own insecurities and lack of knowledge/ ability to say I don't have that answer right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 chattycatty

I would like to know who monitors Lecturers in I.T’s third level sector in Ireland. Because as a former student , I appealed and complained to hetac and heads of departments about the lecturers conduct and course grading within the I.T I attended . From the moment I made the , appeal I should of realized I was fighting a losing battle as the level of corruption that goes on is unreal in these colleges by heads of departments, registers and lecturers. They cannot be questioned and are never at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

DIT Lecturers are now expected to do some training at the DIT Learning, Teaching and Technology Centre (LTTC) based in Upper Mount St. LTTC run courses on teaching methods, learning styles, use of classroom technology, etc.

In my experience, lecturers have all been made aware of the importance of learning and teaching best practice, and are expected to apply it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭pseudofax

I would like to know who monitors Lecturers in I.T’s third level sector in Ireland. Because as a former student , I appealed and complained to hetac and heads of departments about the lecturers conduct and course grading within the I.T I attended . From the moment I made the , appeal I should of realized I was fighting a losing battle as the level of corruption that goes on is unreal in these colleges by heads of departments, registers and lecturers. They cannot be questioned and are never at fault

Welcome to Ireland. I noticed the whole college system is pure buddy buddy. It's not through accident that licking arse and regurgitating what the Lecturer said will get you good marks. I once got marked down for actually exercising independent thought, not powerpoint slides!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 chattycatty

DIT Lecturers are now expected to do some training at the DIT Learning, Teaching and Technology Centre (LTTC) based in Upper Mount St. LTTC run courses on teaching methods, learning styles, use of classroom technology, etc.

In my experience, lecturers have all been made aware of the importance of learning and teaching best practice, and are expected to apply it.

To begin lecturers should go in and lecturers for 5 years and back out to work for 5 years and back into lecturer for 5 years and back to work after five years (so forth)
    How can any lecturer who has been lecturing for over ten years really know what the work climate is like now as it has changed dramatically since this recession.
    A lot of lecturers are getting into colleges by being good at sports, been related to someone there.
    They are there for the holidays and pay not for the good of the students (the majority of lectures are heartless ..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 GaelicAnna

Oh dear, for a newbie such as myself starting DIT in september this is scary reading however I have taken consolation in the fact that there are more positive points than negative ones so maybe its not that bad.
    Is there a process in DIT for voicing your academic concerns, I would say there is, just guessing. I am sure that by voicing your opinion it contributes to positive change. Even if you don't want to be recognised you could always do it anonymously.
    Anna

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

GaelicAnna wrote: »
    Oh dear, for a newbie such as myself starting DIT in september this is scary reading however I have taken consolation in the fact that there are more positive points than negative ones so maybe its not that bad.
    Is there a process in DIT for voicing your academic concerns, I would say there is, just guessing. I am sure that by voicing your opinion it contributes to positive change. Even if you don't want to be recognised you could always do it anonymously.
    Anna

Yeah there is. At the end of every semester you get an "Evaluate your lecturer" form, where you say how good/bad/indifferent the lecturer is. It's completely anonymous also

Advertisement