Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

after

• 27-11-2011 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Why do Irish people always say you're after X or I'm after X to describe and activity that has happened? It sounds very strange? I'm after posting a thread on After Hours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Shaddupayaface:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

"S" and "E" broken on their keyboards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

zero_hope wrote: »
    Why do Irish people always say you're after X or I'm after X to describe and activity that has happened? It sounds very strange? I'm after posting a thread on After Hours

Your post is strange, and you said after :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

im just gona give my bacardi bottle a big cuddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

zero_hope wrote: »

It's a direct translation from the irish language. An irish person would say for example I am only after coming in, and englishman would say I've just come in and wouldn't have a fucking clue what we are on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sky King wrote: »
    It's a direct translation from the irish language. An irish person would say for example I am only after coming in, and englishman would say I've just come in and wouldn't have a fucking clue what we are on about.

Ya beat me to it!

Tá mé tar éis é a dheanamh.... I'm after doing it.

I think it'd be a shame if we lost those quirks of the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭No.125

what you mean? like " im after riding your ma" or im after riding your miss's? that?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I think it'd be a shame if we lost those quirks of the language.

Agreed. I lived with Amercians though and got used to speaking properly as a result becuuse they couldn't understand me otherwise... one would be astounded to know just how many of those little quirks we have. It's a whole other dialect really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

We also say " do be " a lot. Like I do be knackered at the end of the day, or more appropriatley for this forum " I do be knackered after ridin yer ma "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

That's really interesting.

Are there any books about how we Irish folk speak English influenced by our original tongue.

I have no Irish unfortunately.

Born in Norn Iron (no Irish taught in primary school) moved to south - too far behind kinda thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

or i think it's quite nice how older generations say with instead of for... like i've been riding yore ma with years

Are there any books about how we Irish folk speak English influenced by our original tongue..

I find it very interesting as well. Loads of info on that wikipedia page if you check that out. Only books I am aware of are the crappy slang ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I find it very interesting as well. Loads of info on that wikipedia page if you check that out. Only books I am aware of are the crappy slang ones.

Was just reading it. Fascinating stuff. First reference looks like it's a book on Hiberno-English.

Will investigate further whit less drink in the belly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

[...]lived with Amercians [...]got used to speaking properly as a result. [...]

Heh.

I get jokes.

I hate when people add something along the lines of:

"so i am" at the end of a sentence. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I hate when people add something along the lines of:

"so i am" at the end of a sentence. :mad:
    So do I, so I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 W77

Agreed. I lived with Amercians though and got used to speaking properly as a result becuuse they couldn't understand me otherwise... one would be astounded to know just how many of those little quirks we have. It's a whole other dialect really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English

BS. Irish people have always sold out all throughout time. They've traded their language and sovereignty to the Zionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

W77 wrote: »
    BS. Irish people have always sold out all throughout time. They've traded their language and sovereignty to the Zionists.

Zionists? Give me a break. Are you sure its not the reptilians or other things whih youve seen on a biased documentary and taken as fact

BS. Irish people have always sold out all throughout time.
    Buh? All I am saying is that around Americans, I had to make a conscious effort to speak more clearly so that they could understand me. Don't know how that's "selling out".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yep, there was a big scuffle in a bar one time and I asked an English guy "What's after happening?" He didn't understand me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

It's Hiberno-English ya bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

BS. Irish people have always sold out all throughout time.
    Buh? All I am saying is that around Americans, I had to make a conscious effort to speak more clearly so that they could understand me. Don't know how that's "selling out".
    Take no notice of the nutter. :)

I wonder will there be any mention from him of liberal Irish sheeple?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement