Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedigree chum chicken and rice puppy ?

• 27-11-2011 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Just bought this had a look at the ingredients, biggest thing i saw after ive read the forums is that it's first ingredient is cereal..... big no no ? Yes, i thought pedigree chum is a good make, i mean it's not a local supermarket brand but im guessing it's sh/ite

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

It might as well be one of the supermarket brands. Most of the money for pedigree goes into the advertising and the food is of really low quality. On top of that, only 4% is named meat, what's the rest of the meat in it does anyone even know? It would probably be more nutritious for your dog to eat the bag it came in. What kind of dog do you have and do you have a budget for dog food as we could reccommend a far better food for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Shanao wrote: »
    It might as well be one of the supermarket brands. Most of the money for pedigree goes into the advertising and the food is of really low quality. On top of that, only 4% is named meat, what's the rest of the meat in it does anyone even know? It would probably be more nutritious for your dog to eat the bag it came in. What kind of dog do you have and do you have a budget for dog food as we could reccommend a far better food for you.

I have a siberian husky puppy, no i dont have a budget he's part of the family he'll get the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

We feed ours Robbies you have to get online. A big bag costs €56 and lasts our two dogs 6 weeks so less than a fiver per dog per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

alot of people on here, me included are recommending whites, the puppy food is €41 for a 15 kg bag. as its a great quality you feed much less than pedigree so a bag lasts much longer. there are some stockits in ireland, if you go to their web site you will see where. if none near you, you can order on line. delivery is free, will delivery to where you like and is usually with you the mext day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

forgot to say, what ever food you change your pup onto do it gradually over a period of 7-10 days or you will emd up with a puppy with a very bad tummy. not nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Skip the pedigree, you may as well be buying supermarket brand food.

There are many great dog foods out there, do a bit if research online and you'll soon pick up which ingredients should and shouldn't be there and what order they should be in.

A good quality food is very important especially for a growing puppy. My lad is on Arden Grange and is doing fabulously on it. It took a few tries with different ones to get the best one for him but once we got there it was all worth it. I get 30KG delivered from Zooplus for around €80 which is a great deal.

Here's a few of the better brands so you can have something to base your research on. Origen, Acana, Burns, Whites, Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved. Also a new food which Zooplus recently starting sticking is Taste if The Wild and I have heard great things about it.

Finally, the best sites to use, zooplus.co.uk, much better value and a wider variety of products than zooplus.ie.
    dogfooddirect.ie, haven't used them myself but I have heard that they are a great company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Ive opened the pedigree chum so he'll finish that after ill buy a quality dog food for him, being looking on sites and from what ive seeing redmills looks the best, it seems to have to most percentage of meat in it

http://dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/products/red-mills-large-breed-puppy-15kg/

Is this the best dog food ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Ive opened the pedigree chum so he'll finish that after ill buy a quality dog food for him, being looking on sites and from what ive seeing redmills looks the best, it seems to have to most percentage of meat in it

I feed both my dogs on red mills and their coats are great, shiny and soft. I feed my larger dog on the adult food and the smaller one on the small breed range (shes fussy!). Although I'm sure alot of people in this forum will disagree thats its a good food :rolleyes: Its been by far the best food I've tried my dogs on, their both happy and healthy on it.

No harm in trying your husky on it to see if it suits him :)

luckyfrank wrote: »

The meat content is high, however it doesn't say what kind of meat it is, do they use by-products etc. Also Maize is the second ingredient, most dog foods have maize but I would prefer to see it a little lower on the list.

I would definitely check out the by-products thing before you go buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP I've noticed the link you posted is for a 15kg - I'd go for a smaller bag while you're trying out new food. It can be trial and error finding a food that suits - the last thing you want to do is fork out for big bag of food that the puppy can't eat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Were Pedigree not the main sponsor of Krufts? Surely the Kennel club would'nt promote crap food? I've been giving it to my dog because I thought it was the best as the OP clearly thought as well.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

A sponsor is a sponsor so I doubt Crufts really care all that much. And pedigree is a really low quality food. Definitely not worth what it costs either. Have a read of the ingredients on the bag; your carnivorous dog is being made eat something that's very high in cereals and only has 4% of a named meat in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I think alot of it is trial and error aswell:)Ive tried expensive foods and cheaper ones approx 30 euro for 15kg and my boxer still f*rts :(so bad,Im actually sitting here with my jumper over my nose haha

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

red sean wrote: »
    Were Pedigree not the main sponsor of Krufts? Surely the Kennel club would'nt promote crap food?
    Given it could well be argued that kennel clubs actively promote bad genetic practices that result in the discomfort, myriad conditions and illnesses and even early death of various "pedigree" breeds to suit their ever decreasing circles of fashion, I would suggest promoting the dog food of the sponsor with the deepest pockets would hardly be below them.

As for Pedigree food? There are any number of sources online that break down the ingredients of their foods. Few of them beneficial, most of them cheap and some not even allowed in human foods because of links to serious illness. They even add artificial colourings to some of their products. Makes no sense as dogs can't see it. Then it comes to cost. They're cheap right? Well I feed my large and growing puppy on raw meat bones and veg for less.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

boxerly wrote: »
    I think alot of it is trial and error aswell:)Ive tried expensive foods and cheaper ones approx 30 euro for 15kg and my boxer still f*rts :(so bad,Im actually sitting here with my jumper over my nose haha

Have you tried Arden Grange, had the very same problem for months. He could make your eyes water, once I switched to Arden Grange it stopped immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Well I feed my large and growing puppy on raw meat bones and veg for less.
    Interesting point! I have always been told that a dog gets a taste for blood if they're fed raw meat or bones.I live in a rural area where all my neighbours are sheep farmers and would certainly not want that to happen! He loves cooked meat and veg. which he gets with dry food, and needless to say prefers it. He's big too.
    His parents were pure bred but they had an "illicit affair" so he was not welcomed into the world with open arms I can assure you! Mum is a Lab and Dad a Newfie, and he's a great big hairy pussy cat who looks like a grizzly bear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Interesting point! I have always been told that a dog gets a taste for blood if they're fed raw meat or bones.I live in a rural area where all my neighbours are sheep farmers and would certainly not want that to happen!

It's a myth! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Interesting point! I have always been told that a dog gets a taste for blood if they're fed raw meat or bones.I live in a rural area where all my neighbours are sheep farmers and would certainly not want that to happen!

Honestly, how would this ever be possible?? How does a dog associate a bit of meat or bone, with an animal walking around a field, seriously think about it??:confused:

Its a total myth.

Advertisement