Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

no one likes racism but...

• 27-11-2011 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

firstly, to make this quite clear, i am not racist in any way, the colour of your skin is not important to me.

i was reading a thread on here about taxis, and someone mentioned a black taxi driver who didnt really know theyre way in dublin, the guy was not being racist, merely, if you imply the way the poster wrote the post, one might gather that he meant the fact the chap was black inferred he was not from ireland originally and hence his knowledge of inner dublin would not be really that good.
    no big deal, yea?
    no, all the OTT PC morons are clammering up to lambast the OP because of his racial slur blah blah blah....
    it just got me thinking that as an educated nation of people, who cares far too much about what others think of us, do we over cook some issues?
    so he called him a black man, whats the problem, get on with it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Sure I wouldn't know, I'm from Donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It's After Hours.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

firstly, to make this quite clear, i am not racist in any way, the colour of your skin is not important to me.

i was reading a thread on here about taxis, and someone mentioned a black taxi driver who didnt really know theyre way in dublin, the guy was not being racist, merely, if you imply the way the poster wrote the post, one might gather that he meant the fact the chap was black inferred he was not from ireland originally and hence his knowledge of inner dublin would not be really that good.
    no big deal, yea?
    no, all the OTT PC morons are clammering up to lambast the OP because of his racial slur blah blah blah....
    it just got me thinking that as an educated nation of people, who cares far too much about what others think of us, do we over cook some issues?
    I'm a moron eh? Reported

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Better put some popcorn in the microwave...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gemma188

That's the way Boards has gone I'm afraid. A lot of posters here are the type of people who will look for any reason to moan and complain about something. Of course what was said was not racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Vorsprung wrote: »
    Better put some popcorn in the microwave...

Can I finish my cotton picking first ? Please Boss..

Can you link to the posts where people were called racists please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

OH DEAR!!

This will either be closed or there will be murder... You've already offended what I agree is the PC brigade, the true racists will be on agreeing and stirring it up.

If this stays open, it's gonna be a fun thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

It wasn't racist.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

someone getting offended about people getting easily offended.......

Oh Lawd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

How black?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I love when posts start with the above.
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    Last week I asked a black taxi driver to take me to Coolock and he asked if that was a pub.

I think the above is the offending post. It's pointing out that the taxi driver was black when there was absolutely no reason to do so. It doesn't add to his 'story', unless of course, the fact that he's black is a reason that he doesn't know where Coolock is. For example, he didn't say a taxi driver with red hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Probably because it its generalising that saying someone is black means that someone is a foreigner when reality is there are plenty of black irish people that were born and grew up here.

Generalising or prejudicing an ethnic group is racist. I presume that is what people have issue with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Belfast has loads of black taxi drivers too btw.
    Never had a problem with any in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

immigrants driving taxis? that's a bizarre state of affairs. only in ireland.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

immigrants driving taxis? that's a bizarre state of affairs. only in ireland.......

are most of the cabs in new york not that way? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

massy086 wrote: »
    are most of the cabs in new york not that way? lol

well, yes. that was sort of the point i was making.

i think i should use this opportunity to point out that EVERY time i have been given the runaround by a cab driver, the driver was irish. the wonders of getting in a cab with an american accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ojola

Nearly (if not all) households in Ireland have family members in all corners of the world. Particularly in the US where there are more than 40 million americans claiming "irish" as their ethnic group. However, how can we blame Joe Bloggs when we had a government (FF)going to America to beg for the "undocummented Irish" (is that another word for illegal immigrant) to be rocognised; at every Paddy'd day opportunity while refufing to use the same yard stick to measure like people in their own system? Double standards.

http://saoirse32.dreamwidth.org/2066859.html

http://www.thejournal.ie/kenny-expects-new-drive-to-legalise-undocumented-irish-in-us-134361-May2011/

http://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2011-07-13.351.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Got into a white taxi, obviously infers that he was an ignorant geehole who did everything possible to stretch the fare and then wanted a tip at the end.

(In fairness this he's black so he wouldn't have an in depth knowledge of somewhere here doesn't really stand up I had a taxi driver who didn't have a clue about anywhere on the southside not a massive place, I know there are dodgy taxi drivers but you can't say because they're black this would suggest they didn't know what they were doing immigrant or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Kiera wrote: »
    I'm a moron eh? Reported
    Oh would you ever get over yourself. Why are you even in AH if you're going to be such a prude?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Kiera wrote: »
    I'm a moron eh? Reported

yes kiera, yes you are...

Mod note, banned

Oh would you ever get over yourself. Why are you even in AH if you're going to be such a prude?

I'm here because i know how to play by the rules. Unlike others it appears :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

I love when posts start with the above.

I think the above is the offending post. It's pointing out that the taxi driver was black when there was absolutely no reason to do so. It doesn't add to his 'story', unless of course, the fact that he's black is a reason that he doesn't know where Coolock is. For example, he didn't say a taxi driver with red hair.

a black taxi driver with red hair, he must have some irish in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

no big deal, yea?

I like your stream of consciousness style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I dream of a day when we can all just get along and agree that all taxi drivers are the same, regardless of skin colour.

They're all ripoff bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread was doomed to start with when OP targets a whole group of people and call them names.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement