Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Buying a house in Crumlin

Options
  • 27-11-2011 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

Anybody can help me to suggest what part is nice in Crumlin and the places to avoid.There are loads of houses for sale at the moment but my budget is limited so i cant buy near the Kimmage. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

House prices in Dublin fell 3% last month. On an average priced house in Crumlin, that's about €6,000.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1122/1224307948877.html

If you are getting a mortgage, every €6,000 you borrow will cost close to twice that amount over the lifetime of the mortgage allowing for interest. So, allowing for rent you need to pay instead of buying, that might be anything from a conservative €7,000pm to a pessimistic €10,000pm extra per month that you are borrowing for every month that house prices continue to fall. The pace of falls is picking up, so there is no reasonable expectation this situation will turn around any time soon.

Moreover, you say there are loads of houses for sale there are the moment. This is something you need to think about too.

I think now is an insane time to buy a house. There cannot possibly be a good reason to not wait for a year to see where prices are then. It will without doubt be lower than today in line with above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

^^^^

The OP asked for suggestions where to buy in crumlin NOT if they should or shouldnt buy???? :confused:

House prices have fallen but if the OP wants to buy thats their business not yours whats wrong with answering the question asked

OP I have lived around the crumlin area for a short time a few years back I dont know the area well but from what i did see of it i didnt like it

Its not quiet, the kids (probably not all but the ones I seen) run wild and are best avoided. My friend was robbed and in general I couldnt move quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fionafifi

Hi, we looked in crumbling before and put a deposit down but didn't go ahead for various reasons. Raphoe rd is quiet nice and quiet. Ivegh gardens is v nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nebuchad

Hi fareastgirl,

There are a few nice areas in Crumlin mainly near Kimmage and the prices reflect this. In my opinion avoid Cashel Avenue, Cashel Road, Captains Avenue, Captains Road and all Windmill areas. If you are looking for reasonably priced properties in a more settled area then I would suggest Drimnagh. Good luck! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fareastgirl

Thanks. Fiona,but my budget is limited. I cant afford those places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

+1 Treehouse72

If your budget is limited and you want to buy in a certain area-can you not hang on 6/12 months and see if homes in your preferred area come into your budget?

As Treehouse said house prices in dublin fell 3% last month-I don;t know about anyone else but a saving of €6k in a month would make it well worth your while hanging on for 3/6/12 months.

Houses in the area that I am interested in buying have fallen by €50k-€75k in the last 12 months. We sold last year with a plan to rent of 3/6 months but due to the continued price falls we're planning on continuing to rent for a while.

We've revised what we will need to borrow. The difference between what we had planned to borrow last year and what we are now prepared to borrow mean our repayments will be at least €300 less per month-that means we can save for our kids college fees/go on a decent holiday or generally enjoy our life more.

Do you NEED to buy right now or can you wait to afford where you WANT to live??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

edellc wrote: »
    House prices have fallen but if the OP wants to buy thats their business not yours whats wrong with answering the question asked

Yes, and all those people who bought during the bubble were none of my business ether...until they started looking for my tax money to bail out their negative equity and un-payable debts. At that point they very much became my business whether I liked it or not (I didn't).

Anyway, nice to see you dropping by the A&P forum. Maybe if you stick around 5 minutes you might learn something.

'Till then, that's me 100% tuned out of any and all ill-informed, happy-clappy, terrible advice that will, inevitably and somehow, end up costing me money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

A good place to start would be telling us what your budget is? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

There is probably a reason why people are leaving it in droves. There are plenty of nice places in Dublin; If you don't have much money and house prices ARE still falling, why not wait and get a cheaper house in a nice area when you can afford it. You have to pay a tax to move that is ridiculously high so what you buy you might be stuck wih; forever.
    The quality of your environment and neighbours is very important too: as well as house price. You can't put a value on the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Hi,

Anybody can help me to suggest what part is nice in Crumlin and the places to avoid.There are loads of houses for sale at the moment but my budget is limited so i cant buy near the Kimmage. Many thanks.

I grew up in Crumlin and have been gone around 10 years but I still go there regularly enough to visit family.

If I had to choose an area in Dublin to live in Crumlin would be well down the list, I have to say. You could get lucky and find a part of, say, Captains Road or Stannaway Road that has a decent pocket of people living there but you could also end up in a living nightmare. Definitely avoid the likes of Windmill Park, Derry Park, Cashel Road, you're asking for trouble around those parts. You really need to do a lot of research on this before you go ahead and buy.

Why don't you have a look at parts of Drimnagh? I'm talking about the likes of Errigal Rd, Brandon Rd, Comeragh Rd, which are all near Crumlin hospital. They might cost a little more but they wouldn't be anywhere near the asking price for the Kimmage end of Crumlin.

Overall, Crumlin is a very mixed bag. It has a bad name because of the gang wars but many decent people also live there so you could end up in a good place but as I said earlier do your research and then do it again until you're satisfied.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

Wait.., Hold your horses...

ERSI (on Yesterday's Irish Independent) predict house prices to fall another 17% within the next two years... hence, hold out, save some more mulah so you can pay more of it upfront and reduce the amount/length of your mortgage!

Move back in with the parents if you have to... Buy now, and you could be in negative equity in two years time, or hold out and get a nicer area

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭DFB BOY

nebuchad wrote: »
    Hi fareastgirl,

There are a few nice areas in Crumlin mainly near Kimmage and the prices reflect this. In my opinion avoid Cashel Avenue, Cashel Road, Captains Avenue, Captains Road and all Windmill areas. If you are looking for reasonably priced properties in a more settled area then I would suggest Drimnagh. Good luck! ;)
    Do you live on any of these roads??I live on one of the roads u have mentioned,just interested to hear why in your opinion you would avoid those areas,granted they arent beverley hills(where is these days) but i think myself and the op would like to hear why and no i aint looking for an argument,just trying to get an idea of what people think who live outside these areas :)

In responce to you orignal question OP,there are mostly good areas around Crumlin but i would say that having lived here all my life :D,it all depends what you are looking for and at what budget.Are you looking for a home just for yourself or for your family,access to schools,shops,public transport needed??,plenty of places around which would suit both,granted there are bad elements in certain areas so i think you should do some research beforehand, have seen a good few people move into the area in the last few years though.

Thanks DFB Boy. Theres few houses for sale in Windmill park in front of the big green,just at the back of the Garda station. I know Windmill ave is a bit rough. I am looking somewhere near in the Armagh Road where Loreto College is. Theres also some houses in captains Road. Since,you are from the area,maybe you can recommend a good place to buy.Many thanks.
    I wouldnt know too much about Windmill being honest,im from the Cashel Ave/Cashel Rd area so cant say anything about Windmill,what i will say is Cashel,Captains Rd,Stannaway Rd would be good places to buy in,close to everything and each one isnt more than 10 minutes walk to Armagh Rd,if i were you id go and see the ones available and see what you think.All in all Crumlin is a good place to live despite what the press and other peoples opinions make of it,feel free to pm me if you have any more questions and best of luck with the house hunting:)

Advertisement