Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electronic bidding in Ennis mart

• 27-11-2011 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

Is anyone going to the demo about this tomorrow. Would be interesting to see how it works. Apparently you can bid over the internet but how would it work when you are in the mart buying. Anyone know anything about it? Do other countries use this kind of system. Someone told the auld lad the minium bid was going to be €20 :rolleyes:

LINK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Maybe the Italian buyers can now bid from their villas back home. Nice....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Ya I read about this in da comic a week ago.

Seemingly every buyer gets an electronic button, but as you siad redzer, how would you know your bid was accepted? If your name or buttin number hows up, then does this not give away your anonymity, which I think is the main purpose of it? Could you end up bidding against yourself if you were overly anxious?

And what would be the auctioneer's job? Would there be need for one?

Alot of potential teething problems, but I suppose that's why they have to have to test it out.

I'm all for technology, but I think some things need the human touch.

I'd be all for it. I went to an in-calf suckler sale a few years ago. It was in a mart, I would not normally go to. You had to sign in when you arrived and they gave you an A4 sheet, with your number on it. When you had bought, you just held up your number and the auctioneer recored it. I though it was a good idea. No having to shout your name across a crowded mart, if they didn't know you.
    Marts are a good system, but it's not to say that they can't be improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

The poor cattle dealers will lose out :) They will have no one to stare at when a stray bid comes in :)

pakalasa wrote: »
    I'd be all for it. I went to an in-calf suckler sale a few years ago. It was in a mart, I would not normally go to. You had to sign in when you arrived and they gave you an A4 sheet, with your number on it. When you had bought, you just held up your number and the auctioneer recored it. I though it was a good idea. No having to shout your name across a crowded mart, if they didn't know you.
    Marts are a good system, but it's not to say that they can't be improved.

Placing bids from a numbered card is TOTALLY different to placing bids with an electronic bidding system.

• Advertisement

I know. I was just making the point that it was different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

this may work, dont think it will take prices any higher, if anything the opposite IMV which would suit me:D. I can see plenty of caffling(if that how you spell it) with the use of electronic bidding which wont be a good thing. Are you sin binned if you put out your hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I would assume only the auctioneer would know who had bid but could be wrong. I would also assume there would be a board showing the price as the bids come in. It would stop alot of I take this lot and you take that lot among the dealers though whether that is a good or a bad thing, Them lads have no morals;). I would be afraid it may turn off some of the big buyers tho. After all they buy 90% of the cattle on any given day. Would be interesting to know how it works though. Will try and go down if I have time tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Placing bids from a numbered card is TOTALLY different to placing bids with an electronic bidding system.

Its no different. The principal is the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Merlin car auctions have been takeing on line bids for quite a while you have to
    give a deposit for a bidding number which is only charged to your credit
    card if you are winning bidder and do not pay for the car , then you loose the deposit.
    It cuts out fake bids or messers you can watch live auctions online free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

after asking the father who works in ennis mart he said the auctioneer does know whos bidding

adne wrote: »

The principle is not the same. One is principally a manual system, the other is principally an automatic system.

The card system rather more like the conventional system, only the auctioneer's assistant manually writes down a number not a name. It's correlated with the name manually in the office.

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    after asking the father who works in ennis mart he said the auctioneer does know whos bidding

Danie

How does the bidder know that his bid has been accepted?

Muckit wrote: »
    adne wrote: »

The principle is not the same. One is principally a manual system, the other is principally an automatic system.

The card system rather more like the conventional system, only the auctioneer's assistant manually writes down a number not a name. It's correlated with the name manually in the office.

I disagree the electronic system is the automated implementation of the card system I.e the underlying principal is the same.

Danie

How does the bidder know that his bid has been accepted?

His number is displayed as the highest bidder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Well said:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

whats the piont of this system ???
    it could be confusing in a packed ring with 3 to 4 bidding instantnously
    seen the bit in the journal alright, but there were only a few lads there buying from the picture bit different to a packed ringside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

How will this lad cope with the new system? :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dn3p8FjEZo&feature=search

haaaaaaa! BRILLIANT! the auld lad is in that video ha beside the auctioneer priceless :D good find

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

flatout11 wrote: »
    whats the piont of this system ???
    it could be confusing in a packed ring with 3 to 4 bidding instantnously
    seen the bit in the journal alright, but there were only a few lads there buying from the picture bit different to a packed ringside

The usual suspects, hanging in over the ring, shouting at each other "this one's mine, you got the last two", won't have a fcukin clue what's going on, when some lad with his two hands in his pocket up the back, is putting on a few rapid bids:D , and he in a hurry back to work, before coming back in the evening to collect the his few cattle.

haaaaaaa! BRILLIANT! the auld lad is in that video ha beside the auctioneer priceless :D good find

Ha, I know him. You'd think he'd have my name by now.....:D

pakalasa wrote: »
    Ha, I know him. You'd think he'd have my name by now.....:D

ha who are ya and ill tell him tonight ha he knows every farmer in clare and thats no lie ha

Ha your man in the video ''I cant understand what hes saying''.....I often thought Nelan was speaking a different language myself too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭jfh

went up today to check this out.
    the electronic bidding turned into a bit of a joke, few lads trigger have with the bidding device.cattle making over 3000!
    in fairness they needed some other than that poor french fella to sell the advantages. think today would set it back a few years rather do anything positive for the system.

.....I often thought Nelan was speaking a different language myself too ;)

He always reminds me of D'grunt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=JCdjucZzreY

jfh wrote: »
    went up today to check this out.
    the electronic bidding turned into a bit of a joke, few lads trigger have with the bidding device.cattle making over 3000!
    in fairness they needed some other than that poor french fella to sell the advantages. think today would set it back a few years rather do anything positive for the system.

Jaysus if cattle will be making that kinda money i'll be all for it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theMountain

Was in Ennis today and thought the electronic bidding work very well. Even though lads were fooling around with the zappers the concept appealed to me and I feel that it wont be long until some mart makes a stab at it and the rest will follow.

Advertisement