Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Square bales of straw

• 27-11-2011 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

What dimensions are the big square bales of straw and what percentage of a round bale/small square bales in one?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

locky76 wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

What dimensions are the big square bales of straw and what percentage of a round bale/small square bales in one?

8x4x4,Cant help with the other question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

pajero12 wrote: »
    8x4x4,Cant help with the other question!

8X4X4 - 550kgs
    8X4X3 - 440kgs

dont use the small mickey mouse sizes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

8X4X4 - 550kgs
    8X4X3 - 440kgs

dont use the small mickey mouse sizes
    Cheers Bob, what weight would a round bale be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

4ft rounds can be anything but something from 140kgs to 240kgs. I find around 180kgs. The weights I said for square bales are only if the baler guy knows what he is doing and if the straw is below 10% moisture. I have seen square bales nearly half the weight I quoted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

locky76 wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

Roughly 2 n a quarter round in an 8x4x3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

adne wrote: »
    Roughly 2 n a quarter round in an 8x4x3
    Cheers adne, how do the round and square bales compare price wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pmct

I bought square bales last year and when taking them off the lorry one of the broke so I got out the round baler to tidy it up to my horror it only half filled it so I broke up another to fill the bale it just about filled the bale never again I will stick with the round bales

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theMountain

what size squares are you talking about that half fill a round baler ?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pmct

They were about 8x3x2 but I will measure them when I go home the fecker that sold them swore the we're the same as a round bale and he charged the same too

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theMountain

I'd say they were 7 X 3 X 2, I'am in the same boat as you ! Never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

All the bales from all the machines vary, both round and square depending on the way they're setup, I'd say the time is fast coming when straw will be sold by weight.

Down here the square bales make a price premium over round because so much more straw can be loaded on a lorry, after transport costs the price to the buyer is usually less. Don't forget too that the squares aren't weatherproof, if they are going for feeding you have to be setup to clear the field straight after the baler.

There is a good guide to the various bale sizes here, no 3x2 or3x3 in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 slug pellet

In my experience any time you rebale a bale of straw it will not fill the chamber and start netting without adding an extra 30 or 40 feet of swath as for 7x3x2 bales we make them the same weight as rounds 140 kg

Advertisement