Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK National Insurance number

• 27-11-2011 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Guys, I'm starting a teaching position in the UK, starting January. While I was over there however, I wasn't able to organise a NI number interview, so I'll have to wait until the new year.. which will be a huge pain, as I will have to wait a few weeks for a slot to open, and then take time off, in order to travel to the venue. Does anyone have any advice, on more efficient ways of securing the number?? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Do you live near the border? You could get one in the north?

When I did my interview, I had to answer a load of questions on a form, then have the interview. Most of the questions were things like - when did you first enter to the UK? - Why are you here? - Do you have an address? etc etc.

It's a bit weird as I lived right on the border, so I first entered when I was a kid, just to get anywhere. The questions seem to be aimed more at people from countries further afield than Ireland.

I'm pretty sure you have to have a UK address to get the NI number, so you'll prob have to wait until you get over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭lofto

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I do have an address, I also have a letter from the school stating my start date. I'm from Mayo, so I'll try ringing an office in northern Ireland for an appointment. Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

lofto wrote: »
    Guys, I'm starting a teaching position in the UK, starting January. While I was over there however, I wasn't able to organise a NI number interview, so I'll have to wait until the new year.. which will be a huge pain, as I will have to wait a few weeks for a slot to open, and then take time off, in order to travel to the venue. Does anyone have any advice, on more efficient ways of securing the number?? Thanks in advance!

If you aren't able to get it sorted before you have a UK address, you will go on emergency tax, but you could get it sorted during Half Term week which will be mid-February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Ring the Newry Benefits Office on 04830265522.

They will arrange for you to have an interview there or in another office in the North. I got to do it before I even had a UK address. As the previous poster said, some of the questions are odd in our context but the interview is pretty painless.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭lofto

Cheers.. I rang yesterday, and I was able to organise the interview for next week. Thanks for the help!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement