Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK national insurance number

• 27-11-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Guys, I'm starting a teaching position in the UK, starting January. While I was over there however, I wasn't able to organise a NI number interview, so I'll have to wait until the new year.. which will be a huge pain, as I will have to wait a few weeks for a slot to open, and then take time off, in order to travel to the venue. Does anyone have any advice, on more efficient ways of securing the number?? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I'm afraid OP you will have to go to the interview, they wont give you one without speaking to you in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭lofto

Shame, thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Here's the relevant section concerning applying for a national insurance number. if you call the National Insurance hotline number they'll be able to get the ball started for you. I was told I had to be resident in the country before they'd entertain an application which was a pain in the @rse even though I had my current job secured first. So be prepared to have to wait until you formally land in the country. But as soon as you do, call that number.

Expect a wait of between four to six weeks. Mine was pretty much six weeks on the nose if I recall. As already said; application followed by interview & any queries on your application before they'll issue a number to you, with no shortcuts entertained.

You'll get put on Basic rate tax (around 30-33% if I recall) until issued your N.I. number & tax rate. Surplus amounts of tax can be claimed back assuming your tax rate doesn't come back higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Lemming wrote: »
    Here's the relevant section concerning applying for a national insurance number. if you call the National Insurance hotline number they'll be able to get the ball started for you. I was told I had to be resident in the country before they'd entertain an application which was a pain in the @rse even though I had my current job secured first. So be prepared to have to wait until you formally land in the country. But as soon as you do, call that number.

Expect a wait of between four to six weeks. Mine was pretty much six weeks on the nose if I recall. As already said; application followed by interview & any queries on your application before they'll issue a number to you, with no shortcuts entertained.

You'll get put on Basic rate tax (around 30-33% if I recall) until issued your N.I. number & tax rate. Surplus amounts of tax can be claimed back assuming your tax rate doesn't come back higher.

Four to six weeks? I had my interview 3 days after applying for it, giving a temporary number and got my card within about two - three weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

The wait time depends on the area afaik but if you are relatively flexible timewise you may be able to get a cancellation at short notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Four to six weeks? I had my interview 3 days after applying for it, giving a temporary number and got my card within about two - three weeks.

That "temporary" number that you get issued after your interview IS your N.I number. Nothing temporary about it.

My wait time was based on my interview location being in Leeds city centre. No idea what it'd be like elsewhere, but the disclaimer is four to six weeks if I recall, regardless. If you can get it in less, great but a wait time of six weeks is not unheard of (as was my experience).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I had a national insurance number when I was in Uni in the UK. I now need to find it but have no idea where to go looking/who to call. Any ideas on how to obtain details on an existing NI number? Cheers :)

Advertisement