Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i have to go home early?

Options
  • 27-11-2011 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I work part time for a very well know fast food restaurant and even though i only work part time, im in college and need every penny i can get. The other day i was scheduled to work 12-20 and at 18:00 i was told to go home without getting payed for the last 2 hours, i said i wanted to stay but was told that i had no option and HAD to go home early.

Can they do this or can i stay if i want?

Also i have been working there for almost 6 years and started when i was 16 and my hours and others who have worked there for years have had are hours cut but people who started only 3 months ago are getting more hours. Obviously because they are cheaper, can they also do this?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Second question- this is extremely common. If they can get the job done with someone on a lower rate of pay, they can and will- as long as your contracted hours are being fulfilled, then they're not doing anything wrong. Very very common in retail.

First question- unsure. The fair thing to do which is what my company does is ask a load of people in turn who wants to go home early once they realise there's nowhere near enough work and they've too many people for it. So if you say no they just move on to someone else. I would bring that up with a union rep or the union before contacting NERA and asking them. However, once your contracted hours are okay even with working less I'm not sure how much they can argue that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

When I used to work as a waitress/bar staff, I worked different shifts each week. If it was a case that the place was quiet & there were too many on, the manager would usually ask who wanted to head early and we'd decide between ourselves. Normally someone would offer as they wanted to head out or meet up with people or had worked late the day before etc. If not, the manager would just pick someone & you had to go with it. Was annoying before I drove as I didn't live in town and someone had to come collect me and didn't always suit!
    Same issue, as when you're asked to stay on later or cover another shift - the joys :cool:

Regarding your 2nd question, yes any employer will of course try to keep the wage costs down! As long as you're not asked to take a pay cut too :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

On the first question:

First step, check your contract to see what it says. Its possible that the contract doesn't cover the precise circumstances, in which case the following should apply.

If you are on the roster for a certain time, and make yourself available for that time, then it is likely that you have a case to be paid for that time, as you have relied on their representation and accepted their offer of work for those hours. This ultimately could be something for a Rights Commissioner to sort out.

Advertisement