Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Gary Speed - Mod Note 292

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Kiith wrote: »
    News agencies should not be allowed to say he commited suicide unless it has been confirmed by the police. Pretty disgraceful to be honest.

True. The race to find out the details is always pathetic. It would be a terrible shame if any family members or close friends find out through the media first.

Such a terrible, terrible shame this story. I haven't felt genuinely sad about a story like this in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Sad news great player for Everton and all other team too. Very professional and respected in the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Shocking. As lots of people mentioned, he was one of those players all fans liked. Sad news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Jesus,

Wales just starting to get on the up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Did he say "apparently"?

If he did, it is disgraceful that he would post that it was "apparently" confirmed by police.

Just been reported now on SNN that Cheshire Police have confirmed the discovery of a body of a 42 yr old male found hanged!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Should they really be giving details on how he committed suicide? Fair enough, report it as suicide but do people, besides his family, really need to know that he hanged himself? Not saying it's true but I think it's a bit wrong.

Anyway, RIP. Only 42, sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Sky Sports News said it was suicide as well, by hanging.

It's not on the screen, but the presenter said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Wow, always liked the guy, shocking stuff. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

No suspicious circumstances surrounding the death

Next of kin have been informed,

and that the man was found hanged.

According to spokesman for police as reported by SSN

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Jesus , puts thing into perspective .

Listening to Stan Collymore talk about how he suffers from depression on twitter , I did not really think too much into it , but it has me thinking now

Its been confirmed by the police now , , found hanged :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Was watching him on Football Focus yesterday :/

So shocked..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Jesus. RIP.

Shameful the papers giving cause of death out like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Shocking stuff.

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Shocking news. Wales were on the up and up. Great player and a model professional in the clubs he gave service to. R.I.P. Thoughts are with his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

WOW!! Absolutely shocking news. Can't believe it. One of the few players in the Premiership that I think all football fans had a soft spot for.

RIP Gary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Shocking

Condolences to his family and RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It just gives the chills doesn't it?

So sad. :( R.I.P Gary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Former Wales manager Bobby Gould on BBC 5 live: "Very stunned, still shivering, cold, a few tears have been shed. I've seen John Hartson and asked if he had heard the news. He looked at me in disbelief. He was due to be working on the Swansea game for 5 live but he had to go home. Speedy was such a great lad, my skipper. He had a tough time when he first took over but the last few months have been brilliant for him, he was starting to turn the corner very quickly. Welsh football was on the way up and that's what Gary created, he led from the front. I had my ups and downs with Welsh football but he was always there for you and never turned away."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

RIP Gary :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

unbelievable. One of the universally liked players in football.

RIP

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Incredible, shocking sad news.
    Nothing more can be said.

Hopefully in the weeks to come this may lead to a better understanding of the horrors of depression in professional life.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ahhh Jesus .

RIP Gary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Absolutely tragic, God only knows what he was going through that led him to this. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

As a Leeds fan he was a hero of mine growing up. Speed, Batty, Mcallister and Strachan one of the best midfields ever in the premiership. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Kiith wrote: »
    News agencies should not be allowed to say he commited suicide unless it has been confirmed by the police. Pretty disgraceful to be honest.

RIP. Shocking to hear, and condolences to his family.

It appears that the family authorised the release of the information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Wow. Shocking news. Terribly sad. As a Liverpool fan, always had tons of respect for him as an Everton legend. Such a shame.

RIP Gary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very sad news.
    A consomate pro.
    R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Always liked him. Shocked.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Shocking news - found out about it on twitter

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Class player and always came across as likeable even to rival fans. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Terribly sad news. Condolences to the family.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Jesus , puts thing into perspective .

Listening to Stan Collymore talk about how he suffers from depression on twitter , I did not really think too much into it , but it has me thinking now

Its been confirmed by the police now , , found hanged :(

collymore likes talking about himself full stop , its those who dont mouth on who are a risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

totally shocked by this news...R.I.P Gary Speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Terrible news, always seemed a gentleman...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Very sad to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Awful news. :( RIP Gary. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I'm still shocked sitting here. I just hope the papers and media don't start speculating and looking for a reason, such things rarely have explanations. He has a family and two young boys and they should be left in piece and alone.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

RIP

Terrible to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hardlt surprising thatthe telegraph leaked that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Shocking news, so sad and impossible to understand :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Really saddened and shocked by this news. Speed was probably the most consistent player I've ever seen in a Newcastle shirt. Was an absolute pro and doing some great work with the Welsh team, was restoring pride in the jersey.

RIP Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

SSN have just reported the cause of death is not known now,

After earlier reporting he had been found hanged from a Chesire Police statement,

That statement has now had the hanged bit cut off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I can't believe this news.

RIP Gary, the sport will be a poorer place without you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Gary Speed - 2nd highest PL appearances (535), 2nd highest capped Welshman (85), 133 pro goals and a 50% win rate as Wales manager

Swansea game today is to go ahead according to club officials

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

RIP.

A great player. Sad day for football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Shocked. Thoughts are with his family and in particular his sons :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Can't get over that news.

He was 42 going but looked closer to 28 in fairness. One of the few guys in football I honestly could never have said a bad word against. Tragic when he seemed like he had the managerial world at his feet. I was actually looking forward to seeing how Welsh soccer progressed under him.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

CARDIFF: Wales manager Gary Speed has died, aged 42. His death, apparently suicide, was announced in a statement from the Football Association of Wales. It added: “We extend our sympathies and condolences to the family. We ask that everyone respects the family’s privacy at this very sad time.”

Cheshire Police said there were no suspicious circumstances. A spokesman said: “At 7.08am this morning, sunday 27 November, police were informed of an incident at Aldford Road, Huntington. Officers went to the scene where a 42-year-old man was found dead. There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death and next of kin have been informed.”

The spokesman added that the victim had been found hanged.

The news was announced by the FAW hours before Swansea’s home match in the principality against Aston Villa. It was decided that the match should go ahead.

Speed, a former international midfielder who had two sons, was born on September 8, 1969. He scored seven goals in 85 games for Wales, a record for an outfield player and second-only overall to Neville Southall.

Captain of Wales on 44 occasions, Speed played his club football with Leeds United, Everton, Newcastle United and Bolton Wanderers. At one stage he held the record for the most appearances in the Premier League at 535.

Speed launched into management with Sheffield United in August 2010 but stayed only four months before being appointed manager of the Welsh national team on the following December 14.

His first game was on February 8, 2011, a 3-0 defeat by the Republic of Ireland in the inaugural Nations Cup. His first competitive match was the Euro 2012 qualifier at home to England which Wales lost 2-0.

In September 2011 Wales attained their lowest ever FIFA ranking of 117th. This was followed by a 2-1 home win against Montenegro, a 1-0 away loss to England, a 2-0 home win against Switzerland and a 1-0 away win against Bulgaria. Consequently in October 2011 Wales had moved up to 45 in the world.

http://keirradnedge.com/2011/11/27/fa-of-wales-announces-death-of-wales-manager-gary-speed/

• Advertisement
Advertisement