Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Gary Speed - Mod Note 292

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Rip. great player, sad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Just watched live on Sky Sports News the scene before kick off a the Swansea game.

Stadium announcer announces a minutes silence.
    It is not impeccably observed.
    Crowd break into spontaneous applause a few seconds in.
    Whole stadium begins applauding bar the players on the pitch.
    Crowd chant his name again and again.
    A genuine tear came to my eye.

RIP Gary

Yeah i was watching that too and i have to say i did get a bit weepy.

Brando_ie wrote: »
    RIP Gary.

My thoughts are with his family. I was just reading that tweet from Stan Collimore last night after watching the recording of Football focus and actually asked myself if there were a lot more players around football who were locked into depression. It really brings it home terribly to hear such tragic news less than 24 hours later.

RIP

That Collymore message is extremely powerful and a massive eye opener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

God this game is little hard to watch after the news. Sad day for football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

If someone you know is acting out of sorts, or not their usual self, just be there for them xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Am in complete shock. It is awful news to wake up to.

One of the nicest men in football. Always came across as likeable and easygoing.

It really shows what a horrendous disease depression is. Gary on the surface had it all, a nice family and plenty of friends but obviously underneath all that he was a troubled man. In some ways this tragic event might finally open everyones' eyes to the fact that depression is a real disease and anyone can suffer from it regardless of what their life is like on the surface.

RIP Gary, thoughts are with his family and countless number of friends.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Guardian had this Secret Footballer article on Friday - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/nov/25/the-secret-footballer

Thoughts are with his family and friends - sad day for Welsh football

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

As a Leeds fan for over 20 years, im just devastated. As said previously, he was part of one of the best midfield quartet in England. As a kid i loved to watch leeds at that time with Gary bombing into the box, rising high above defenders to crash in a header or tormenting some poor fullback. He was a great winger for us at the time. He will always remain one of the reasons I ended up supporting leeds

RIP Gary, a true leeds legend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

The secret footballer article in the guardian this week eerily discusses footballers mental health.

Gary Speed always featured on my fantasy football teams, great player & a promising manager. RIP

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Absolutely shocking news. Was watching him on Football Focus yesterday and was thinking of what a likable character he was. Depression is an awful thing, and is something that everyone should treat very seriously. The stigma around it needs to change, otherwise we will lose more people to it when something can be done to help.

RIP Gary Speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Horrible news to wake up to, really just can't believe it. As others said he was a player that everyone liked and knew and just seemed like a top fella. The fact he played to the age he did shows what a pro he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Cam Newton wrote: »
    Hugely upsetting news. I often hear or read about celebrities passing away, and while I know it's always sad news, it doesn't affect me hugely other than acknowledging such. But this has genuinely upset me. For as long as I've watched football Gary Speed was just always there, he was one of the constants of the Premier League - as sure as there was football on Saturday, Gary Speed would be playing. He seemed just a normal, down-to-earth bloke who loved the game. When you saw Gary Speed, you didn't see a big contract, a flashy car, a supermodel wife or anything you think of with some modern footballers. You just saw a guy doing what he loved and happy to have a platform to do it on. This doesn't change that, it's just what makes it particularly harrowing. Very upset over this, RIP Gary :(

Great post. That's Gary Speed in a nutshell for me and most football fans I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I can't believe I was watching him on Football Focus yesterday, and now he is gone.

RIP Gary Speed. You were one of the Gentlemen of the game, admired by all supporters, not just those of the clubs for which you played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

fashion_kicks_05_3343157.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

A proper legend.

Rest In Peace.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Devastating news, seemed like a great guy! R.I.P Gary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Sympathies to his friends and family.
    I feel bad for Robbie Savage after reading his comment about talking to Gary Speed on the phone yesterday. He must be tormenting himself about that conversation.

Unfortunately in some cases it's not about people around the troubled person missing clues, the troubled person is just adept at concealing their anxiety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The man who seemed to have everything, successful career, gifted athlete, handsome with those deepset eyes and dark hair.

Still waters run deep.

I am on the bus shaking with shock since I heard.

Gary Speed RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

a true gent, and an amazing football. a hero at Leeds and one of my favourite players.
    Im shocked at the news.

I hope you are at peace now, Gary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

RIP Gary, you never know who is next.

Anyone have a link to youtube, to that minutes silence/applause in Swansea?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Stunned by this news. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

RIP Gary Speed - condolences to your family.

You were one of my favorites when at Leeds and was sad to see you go to Everton, always kept an eye out for you to see how your current team was doing.

A shame and a loss for a great player to be gone at the early age of 42.

Great pro.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Cannot believe this. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Sleep well Gary.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,465 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Absolutely shocked at the news..true gent and a legend at any club he played for, especially Newcastle who I support.
    RIP :(

I kinda didn't feel I wanted post this, but I feel that maybe it might help someone else. If mods feel like should be removed that is fine

I basically suffered from depression for while just recently. It's a cold place to be, really cold. I felt I may never really see the next day and well there were days I taught would be my last.

But I have great friends and thankfully one day I just let it all out to them. I taught I would embarrassed, but what I felt was great sense of relief. My family really showed how much they cared when they found out too.

If you do suffer from depression there is help. There is no shame in it and no your not selfish no matter what some may think.

Honestly I taught there wasn't, I taught I was alone, but people do care. You can talk to someone. There is always better days ahead, not everyday will be easy, but the world can be better place for people who want it to be.

What happened today brings it all back, but I would just like think that this message would maybe help someone that maybe going through something similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

What a professional. Seems that everybody holds him in very high regard. Thats the measure of the man.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Very sad news.:(

The fact he played for Everton and Liverpool fans still liked him, and the fact he played for Leeds and Man United fans still liked him, really shows that he was one of football's nice guys.

Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

RIP, horrible news.

The minute's applause is available to see on the Sky News website in better quality if anyone wants to watch it. It was truly a touching moment.

Can't embed video but its on this page.

EDIT:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wow....not one who cares about celebs etc, but this has truly stunned/shocked me.

Having watched his career for 20 years, you sort of feel you know them a bit so it affects me more.

Heard he had died and was shocked, and now that it's suicide has totally knocked me for 6, especially as he was on BBC yesterday.

It's something we'll never understand, but it's tragic to hear such a young man with so much to offer pass away.

Puts everything into perspective, doesn't it.

Was looking forward to LFC match today, but not really bothered now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Nice intro there from the Swansea stadium announcer, the FAI should show this to guy at the Aviva who tries to deafen everyone before each game. Moving stuff.

RIP Gary Speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,208 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

RIP, a true Premier League great, very sad news.

• Advertisement

Have to say this is shocking and devastating. For me Gary Speed seemed such a focused and together man, a leader and a constant on and off the pitch for the last two decades.
    It is really is the epitome of not knowing what goes on in the mind of another.

RIP Gary and thanks for bringing enthusiasm, class, pride, and honour to a sport that that has lacked it these last few years.

My condolences to his family in this very sad time.

:(

Tragic Tragic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Woke up this morning to this news. I was shocked. I never supported any of the teams he played for but truly appreciated his professionalism. He had a promising coaching career ahead of him as well. RIP Gary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

shocking news,can't believe it
    RIP Gary

football takes a back seat today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

RIP Gary Speed

A true and proper footballer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Very sad news,RIP Gary Speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Just wanna echo everything already said here. I'm shocked by this news. The man seemed a true gent, model pro and all round nice guy. Truly was one of those players that his own fans loved and rival fans respected and probably wished played for them. Puts everything into perspective for me. Tough not to get emotional watching that minute's silence too.

RIP Gary Speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

speedandrobson.jpg

RIP Gary, a legend at every club he played for, genuine model pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Very sad news. Poor family.

RIP Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Rip Gary :(

Very Sad Day For Soccer :eek:

Had my brother banging at my door telling me, and i refused to belive him untill i came on here :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Fck me. Suicide? R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Shay Given very upset after the minute's silence. Saw this picture on Twitter. Just tragic stuff.

http://twitpic.com/7kmihz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Shay Given very upset after the minute's silence. Saw this picture on Twitter. Just tragic stuff.

http://twitpic.com/7kmihz

He was putting in a contact lense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

182820.jpg

His finest hour and so young when it was achieved. Once again RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

SantryRed wrote: »

not the tread for comedy I would suggest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

SantryRed wrote: »

Not even remotely funny, have a bit of cop on and see the mood of the thread, not a time for jokes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement