Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Gary Speed - Mod Note 292

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    not the tread for comedy I would suggest

it is what was happening - he had a staff member looking at it, at the time. I believe he may also have been crying, but he did have an issue with his contact lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Big Knox wrote: »
    Not even remotely funny, have a bit of cop on and see the mood of the thread, not a time for jokes.

If you were watching the game you'd know that's exactly what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Not even remotely funny, have a bit of cop on and see the mood of the thread, not a time for jokes.

He actually was putting in a contact lense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

It wasn't a joke, it's what was happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If you were watching the game you'd know that's exactly what happened.

Ah apologies so, genuinely thought it was an attempt at humour!! Shay is visibly upset it's a sad picture. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

They are trying to say it was a contact lense but I think we all know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

He was sorting out his contact lense after it became dislodged due to him having tears in his eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

our fans always sang his name even after he left. he threw his Bolton shirt into the travelling fans as a gesture of appreciation once. a measure of the man and his standing with the toon army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

very sad great player and seemed like a great pro. doing an excellent job at wales... r.i.p gary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

What a shock
    He was a true professional and played the game the right way
    RIP Gary Speed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

This is a big shock! Always thought he was a nice guy.

RIP

Thoughts are with his family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Chirst! never expected this to happen..

Thoughts to his family and friends, R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I very rarely post in this place anymore, but felt I had to tip my hat to Speedo.

Very few if any players are considered legends by the fans of each of the clubs they played for. Speedo was the exception to that rule.

newcastle-s-gary-speed-receives-his-award-for-his-400th-premiership-appearance-by-manager-bobby-robson-545187385.jpg

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I kinda didn't feel I wanted post this, but I feel that maybe it might help someone else. If mods feel like should be removed that is fine

I basically suffered from depression for while just recently. It's a cold place to be, really cold. I felt I may never really see the next day and well there were days I taught would be my last.

But I have great friends and thankfully one day I just let it all out to them. I taught I would embarrassed, but what I felt was great sense of relief. My family really showed how much they cared when they found out too.

If you do suffer from depression there is help. There is no shame in it and no your not selfish no matter what some may think.

Honestly I taught there wasn't, I taught I was alone, but people do care. You can talk to someone. There is always better days ahead, not everyday will be easy, but the world can be better place for people who want it to be.

What happened today brings it all back, but I would just like think that this message would maybe help someone that maybe going through something similar

Clicking thanks just didn't feel like enough.
    Thank you....

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Very sad. RIP. As a Bolton fan, I got to see him for 4 seasons. Was a true player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Wow, very sad to hear news like this, R.I.P to a great footballing guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

RIP

Very sad for him and his family, friends and loved ones.

SKY reporting it as suicide which is incredibly tragic but I guess know one ever knows whats going on in someone elses head....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Only heard of the sad news about an hr ago in After Hours and thought I was a mis quote or something .

Thoughts are with his family at this time .RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

:(

978x409.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Terrible news .....

My thoughts are with his family right now !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

As a United fan I always had a dislike of Leeds but Gary Speed was just one of those players I couldn't help but like,a model pro and a very promising coach.
    He'll be a great loss to the game.

R I P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

RIP, great loss, true pro and a great player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Incredible Pro, terrible news couldn't believe it. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

R.I.P Gary, what a waste:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Jeez, what an absolute tragedy. A true Leeds Legend.

RIP Gary, You may be gone now but you will NEVER be forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Shocking news and R.I.P to his family.

Depression is such a misunderstood illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I have just been crying at different times today.

If you feel you have no-one to talk to 1850 60 90 90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

When I first read it, I assumed it was a different Gary Speed. He was so young. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

It doesn't matter what career you have or how much money you have in the bank. If you don't have your mental health it's all insignificant.

What a shock it must be for his family.

R.I.P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I kinda didn't feel I wanted post this, but I feel that maybe it might help someone else. If mods feel like should be removed that is fine

I basically suffered from depression for while just recently. It's a cold place to be, really cold. I felt I may never really see the next day and well there were days I taught would be my last.

But I have great friends and thankfully one day I just let it all out to them. I taught I would embarrassed, but what I felt was great sense of relief. My family really showed how much they cared when they found out too.

If you do suffer from depression there is help. There is no shame in it and no your not selfish no matter what some may think.

Honestly I taught there wasn't, I taught I was alone, but people do care. You can talk to someone. There is always better days ahead, not everyday will be easy, but the world can be better place for people who want it to be.

What happened today brings it all back, but I would just like think that this message would maybe help someone that maybe going through something similar

Mate, I just want to say, thank you very much for posting this.

I have never suffered from depression myself, but I really appreciate that your post here might actually influence someone to talk to someone and change of even save their life.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

457967174.jpg

Sums it all up really,

RIP Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Shocking news, RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Such an awful and despairing thing, I didn't watch Gary much, remember him vaguely, but still felt a lump in my throat abut it.. May he RIP

It is to be applauded that people such as Stan Collymore and the media are beginning to talk about depression in a more open way and it's important that they continue to talk about it openly... it is only when it is accepted as a problem and discussed openly and through common consensus that we can truly understand it and provide spectrum for people and others to notice and manage it and hopefully prevent further loss from it.

It can happen in all walks of life, under a wide host of circumstances, which makes it so hard to identify.

I stumbled upon this article by chance today in the Irish Times, which puts it quite well and gives you some insight into depression, well worth a read I think

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/1126/1224308160074.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

efb wrote: »
    Kew, I feel you brother, I have been down that road before, just coming back from a very dark place and I know I'll be there again. I'd been so good for so long I refused to believe it was back, because my life was on the right track, and I let it eat in on me a derail me. With the help of my family friends and work colleagues I'm back on the right track again after a break from work.

The news on Gary Speed this morning, threw me, I was alone on the bus and I felt very isolated and alone. I couldn't believe a man I saw as having it all, athletic, talented, handsome successful could suffer the same as me. I felt so sick for the rest of the 2 hour journey and texted my brother and sister. When I got off the bus I just broke down in tears. Wonderful life was playing on my iPod- I had selected it.

I texted my brother and sister and they both sent back such lovely messages of support and comfort. I have been looking at videos on youtube of Gary, and The Samaritans and songs that help me when I was in a dark place.

When I so so low before, when I couldnt even talk with v supportive brothers and sisters I called the Samaritans 1890 60 90 90

If anyone reading this thread is feeling in a dark place and feel like they have no one to turn to please call the Samaritans, they will listen and they will never judge you. Its anonymous and no-one will need to know. Even my family don't know Ive called them.

This is in fact the first time I've told anyone- but internet forums are anonymous but we are a family- and if it can help someone, all the better.

Well put and great to see you are doing well. I have never suffered depression thank god but i know people close to me who have. A terrible thing but there is help out there and ways out of it.
    The nature of this forum is debate and argument. Sometimes things get heated but thats the way it goes. There are many more important things in life though and events like today hammer that fact home.
    RIP Gary Speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I remember as a kid watching Speed every week on Premier League highlights. He was a great player and from the comments on this thread he was a top bloke as well. Very sad and my thoughts are with his family and friends.

RIP Gary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Very strange. Was watching Robbie Savage on BBC News, he said he was talking to him yesterday and appeared to be in great form. Savage was in tears. RIP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Speed is one of my earliest heroes. One of the reasons I lived for LUFC for most of my youth and teen. Felt like bursting into tears when I got this news. Have been lucky enough to meet him a couple of times, just over a year ago the last time I met him and remember how cool it was for him to greet me by name. :)

True gent and one of football's very last honest and loyal players who was in it for the love of the game. The word hero is battered around a lot and modern players really don't live up to the ones that came before them but Speed really loved the game.

Sleep well Gary. The golden boy of the team that made me fall in love with Leeds United.

I hope the UK's gutter press keep out of this.

R.I.P :(

I suppose when i first heard the news this morning before i heard about the actual circumstances in which Gary Speed passed away i thought it must have been a tragic accident or an undiagnosed condition similar to Cormac McAnallen perhaps, because his well being (mental and physical) just never occurred to me as being a potential issue. He was so cool calm and collective in interviews and the fact he played into his late 30s made me think he was a guy who looked after himself.

If anything highlights the seriousness of looking after your mental health its Gary Speeds' story and if anything good is to come of this tragedy it might make people aware of the importance of looking after their mental health.

Its a very very sad day and not just for football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

RIP. Was shocked when I heard the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Ardent

RIP. I still can't believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

If there is anything good to come from this tragedy, i hope it will be a frank and open public debate, dispelling the ignorance and stigmatisation surrounding depression and suicide.

Rest In Peace Gary, you were one of the best pros to ever grace a football pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Awful, horrible, shocking news, there are no words to describe it.

Depression as others have said is as deadly, if not more so, than any physical disease out there. On the face of if Speed had a good life, a great career as a player, the respect of everyone in the game, good looking bloke, healthy, young family and was embarking on a promising manageril career. But none of those things matter when you're depressed. Nothing matters. I dread to think what must have been going through the poor man's mind in his final hour.

Hopefully this makes people sit up and take notice. We all need to talk a bit more about whats going on in our lives, if thngs are getting us down or we feel like things are getting too hard to handle. I started seeing a counsellor myself recently and it helps an awful lot.

If any of you feel a bit down tonight or you feel like life is getting too tough, please, please talk to someone. If any of your buddies has been acting a bit strangaley in the last while, lift up the phone or send them a text. Even if they haven't, do it anyway. No ones family should have to ever hear the news Speed's had to wake up to today again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Very sad news,:( don't know what to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Shocked when I heard this, truly terrible news and a great loss

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Gutted to hear this news. An icon of the game in england. Terrible loss

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Just to commend Shay on playing the 90 mins today and keeping a clean sheet. Would not have batted an eyelid if he had been unable to play, he was visibly devastated.

RIP Gary Speed, you were a fantastic footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

flahavaj wrote: »
    Awful, horrible, shocking news, there are no words to describe it.

Depression as others have said is as deadly, if not more so, than any physical disease out there. On the face of if Speed had a good life, a great career as a player, the respect of everyone in the game, good looking bloke, healthy, young family and was embarking on a promising manageril career. But none of those things matter when you're depressed. Nothing matters. I dread to think what must have been going through the poor man's mind in his final hour.

Hopefully this makes people sit up and take notice. We all need to talk a bit more about whats going on in our lives, if thngs are getting us down or we feel like things are getting too hard to handle. I started seeing a counsellor myself recently and it helps an awful lot.

If any of you feel a bit down tonight or you feel like life is getting too tough, please, please talk to someone. If any of your buddies has been acting a bit strangaley in the last while, lift up the phone or send them a text. Even if they haven't, do it anyway. No ones family should have to ever hear the news Speed's had to wake up to today again.

Very well said Sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

As another poster mentioned hopefully one good thing to come out of this absolute tragedy is that there is frank and open debate about the suicide epidemic that is currently going on.

I know of four suicides in the past six months , and everyone under the age of 40.

Communication is the key .Talk to someone .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Dan Walker's blog piece - spent hours with him yesterday, reading some of his twitter updates, poor fella
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/danwalker/2011/11/gary_speed_leaves_a_huge_whole.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement