Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Gary Speed - Mod Note 292

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Looking at this thread and others, and the various twitters and facebook updates, its amazing how popular a player Gary Speed was. Universally beloved it seems. Honestly I am a lot more shocked than what I thought I would be.

Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,643 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Is anyone else in total and utter shock?

I'm not normally one for being affected by the death of someone I don't know but this has really got to me today. I can't get my head around it. Very upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I'm not normally one for being affected by the death of someone I don't know but this has really got to me today. I can't get my head around it. Very upsetting.

My family and I are Leeds United fans, I grew up watching Gary Speed, and always kept an eye on his career when he left Leeds, was delighted when he got the Wales job,really.
    It was just a such a shock. we were all so stunned.
    I was in tears watching SSN and listening to Yorkshire Radio, all the tributes, people genuinely loved him.
    no how upset we, as football fans are, its nothing compared to how his poor family must be feeling. My heart goes out to them.

Gary Speed will be missed so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Know how your feeling mate :(

I'm probably a little more emotional than normal due to being a little fragile from the mother of all hangovers , but Gary Speed was an extraordinary personality that everyone seemed to like regardless of club colours .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

So strange just how composed and relaxed he seemed here. Can't possibly understand what he must have been going through :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

So strange just how composed and relaxed he seemed here. Can't possibly understand what he must have been going through :(

Its really hard to believe. So much going for him after a great football career and in charge of probably one of the strongest Welsh teams in a long time (most premiership appearances too:confused:).. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

RIP GAry Speed. I can't stop thinking about this today.
    Very very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Very sad news today.It just goes to show that money cant buy you happiness when a relatively sucessful footballer such as gary speed takes his own life.
    RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

iggy wrote: »
    RIP GAry Speed. I can't stop thinking about this today.
    Very very sad.
    Me too I just cant believe it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

flahavaj wrote: »
    Awful, horrible, shocking news, there are no words to describe it.

Depression as others have said is as deadly, if not more so, than any physical disease out there. On the face of if Speed had a good life, a great career as a player, the respect of everyone in the game, good looking bloke, healthy, young family and was embarking on a promising manageril career. But none of those things matter when you're depressed. Nothing matters. I dread to think what must have been going through the poor man's mind in his final hour.

Hopefully this makes people sit up and take notice. We all need to talk a bit more about whats going on in our lives, if thngs are getting us down or we feel like things are getting too hard to handle. I started seeing a counsellor myself recently and it helps an awful lot.

If any of you feel a bit down tonight or you feel like life is getting too tough, please, please talk to someone. If any of your buddies has been acting a bit strangaley in the last while, lift up the phone or send them a text. Even if they haven't, do it anyway. No ones family should have to ever hear the news Speed's had to wake up to today again.
    well said Flahavaj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Obviously very sad. All deaths are sad. But for some reason this has hit me hard. And reading this thread it's done the same to others.

Why is it relatively more shocking than the deaths of other well known people? Is it his age, the nature of his death, the fact that he was on TV yesterday, the fact that he was so well liked in the game? All of the above? I don't know :(

I'm so stunned by this news that, if I am honest, I am not sure what to believe regarding the circumstances of his death. The truth is everyone I have spoken to cannot fathom why he has committed suicide. It makes no sense to me. If he was tormented in some way or depressed, then it's frightening to think how someone can conceal such disturbing thoughts with such quiet dignity. It's also completely frightening, and should serve as a wake up call to everyone then we should be kinder and more understanding to our fellow man.

He always came across as a thoroughly decent and good man. Rest in Peace Gary Speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Obviously very sad. All deaths are sad. But for some reason this has hit me hard. And reading this thread it's done the same to others.

Why is it relatively more shocking than the deaths of other well known people? Is it his age, the nature of his death, the fact that he was on TV yesterday, the fact that he was so well liked in the game? All of the above? I don't know :(

I'm so stunned by this news that, if I am honest, I am not sure what to believe regarding the circumstances of his death. The truth is everyone I have spoken to cannot fathom why he has committed suicide. It makes no sense to me. If he was tormented in some way or depressed, then it's frightening to think how someone can conceal such disturbing thoughts with such quiet dignity. It's also completely frightening, and should serve as a wake up call to everyone then we should be kinder and more understanding to our fellow man.

He always came across as a thoroughly decent and good man. Rest in Peace Gary Speed.

Hammer. Nail. Head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

RIP Gary.

Brando_ie wrote: »
    RIP Gary.

My thoughts are with his family. I was just reading that tweet from Stan Collimore last night after watching the recording of Football focus and actually asked myself if there were a lot more players around football who were locked into depression. It really brings it home terribly to hear such tragic news less than 24 hours later.

RIP

Just highlighting this Collymore link again which everyone should read.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Tonight's 606 A Speed Tribute
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017m16g

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Has it been confirmed he was suffering from depression ?

These things can be accidental at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Nothing but speculation. I read something earlier on twitter but it was quickly removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Impulsive is probably the word your looking for rather than accidental. We'll never know if he was suffering from it because he never told anyone(I assume) but it would seem likely that he did.

RIP Gary. I've been suffering from OCD and Depression for a year now and I know how dark it can get, wouldn't wish it on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Impulsive is probably the word your looking for rather than accidental. We'll never know if he was suffering from it because he never told anyone(I assume) but it would seem likely that he did.

RIP Gary. I've been suffering from OCD and Depression for a year now and I know how dark it can get, wouldn't wish it on anyone.

It can be accidental if your engaging in erotic asphyxiation. It's not likely to be that at all, but it is a slight possibility until we're factually told otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

:(

RIP Gary.

Feel so sorry for his family.

MOTD2 is on BBC2 at 10. Im sure theyl dedicate the show to Gary Speed.

And unfortunately some accidents and the circumstances that follow cant be reversed:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

RIP Gary Speed. Tragic waste of life. If anything good can come of this it's that hopefully it will bring more awareness of depression & suicide. It is rampant and nothing seems to be done. How his family will deal with this I'll never know. Condolences to them & god bless Speedo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

RIP Gary Speed. A player who's name I've heard and a player I've always admired while I was growing up and playing football myself.

It's incredibly saddening, particularly the circumstances. My thoughts are with his widow and two children.

Still shocked :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

RIP Gary Speed. Tragic waste of life. If anything good can come of this it's that hopefully it will bring more awareness of depression & suicide. It is rampant and nothing seems to be done. How his family will deal with this I'll never know. Condolences to them & god bless Speedo
    Very poor coverage in media IMO, while paying tribute would seem ok not once was the S word used and seem to glorify the act as well as the person.
    As an aside rumours circulating about the Sun paper going to run a story about his private life tomorrow which may have contributed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This already posted?

Hugo Viana pays his respects with Braga.

458184685.jpg

EDIT: I see it has been posted, apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Very poor coverage in media IMO, while paying tribute would seem ok not once was the S word used and seem to glorify the act as well as the person.
    As an aside rumours circulating about the Sun paper going to run a story about his private life tomorrow which may have contributed

Really? i know so many rumors are going around at the min but if that is true this should be brought up and the media enquiry that is under way at the minute. Couldnt believe it when i heard it this afternoon, such a great player and was doing so well with the Wales team. if the sun rumor is true will be interesting to see what or when they print it.

RIP Gary Speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

If this is true, the Scum - sorry Sun- should be driven out of business.

As if they weren't bad enough, already.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I don't think we'll ever know if he was suffering from depression. If rumours are to be believed the British media may have had a role to play in his decision to take his own life. I just hope they leave him and his family alone and let him rest in peace. He was obviously not at peace in his life, the least they can do is give him peace in his tragic death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Still trying to get my head around this.

Looking again at the football focus video again makes it even harder to understand as he looked fie and it's hard to believe he was planning to kill himself less than 24 hours later.

Is there any cases in the past where people who have never been diagnosed with depression suddenly have something trigger in their brain to force them to take their own life?

Unfortunately the only person who can answer is no longer around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

The first soccer game that I most prominently remember was the FA cup final in 1999 when I was about 8 or 9, I remember Gary lining out at midfield for Newcastle that day. I remember his name stuck out immediately and I became an immediate fan of him.I had that game on tape and used to watch it regularly and I admired the way that he played greatly. As a guy with an interest in Newcastle I followed him from then onwards and remember him having one of the best left pegs in the game. At Bolton he was equally a hero and he used to be one of the most consistent players in the league despite the fact that he was pushing 40!
    I was shocked when I heard the news this morning and it hit me greater than alot of deaths you would hear about in the media. Watching MOTD2 I had a tear in my eye especially when it showed his career highlights.
    Rest In Peace Gary and sleep well! He was a true ambassador for the game and from what I gather a true gent also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Very sad news, I have been thinking about this all day. Seemed like such a nice guy. Very tragic.

RIP

tomorrows sun front page

AfS1wAVCEAA7DnH.jpg

*dont believe everything you read on twitter folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Even if they had intended to run a story as mentioned prior to Gary Speed committing suicide, the would be burying it as best they could right about now.

Exactly - the public reaction may be even worse than Hillsborough. Just hope they weren't actually up to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Lads we all know The Sun is a rag but anything to do with them is only wild speculation at the moment so let's leave it at that. It's tragic for his wife and family and I just hope the media can leave them alone, though knowing the British media I doubt it.

Hard to understand how a guy with an apparently good life, lots of money and a successful career would choose to end his own life like that. just shows that you never really know what a person is thinking in their own private thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mod Note

If you want to post random unsubstantiated rumours, do so somewhere else please. And don't hide behind, go look on twitter while you're at it.

Somebody has just died. Perhaps you could take two moments to consider what this means for him, for his family and friends, rather than eat whatever ****e the Sun is spewing. And if you really want to do that, please go to comments section of their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

RIP Gary Speed and I hope your family can come through this awful time and get on with their lives as best they can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

PHB wrote: »
    Mod Note

If you want to post random unsubstantiated rumours, do so somewhere else please. And don't hide behind, go look on twitter while you're at it.

Somebody has just died. Perhaps you could take two moments to consider what this means for him, for his family and friends, rather than eat whatever ****e the Sun is spewing. And if you really want to do that, please go to comments section of their website.
    The Sun are saying that its bull****.They had nothing to do with this.The Sun is disgraceful excuse for a newspaper, but they're saying that Gary Speed wasnt being investigated by them.RIP Gary Speed.It truly is a sad day for football.

MOTD2 tribute

*What a strike against Brentford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

RIP Gary. Gone but never forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

I must admit I dont follow football as much as some on here but he was a man who I always held in such high regard. Watching the minutes applause was such a sad, yet lovely moment. I was curious as to how the media would handle such a delicate situation and most where ok but what the Sun has on their main page disgusts me so much. I never held the paper in any regard but who this would be allowed is beyond me.

I've lost people dear to me and, as a result, have dealt with depression but I had real friends around me which I feel so greatful for. If any sort of good can come from such a tragedy, I reall hope a few people open up and it saves some extra lives not worth losing.
    R.I.P Garry Speed and sinscer condolences the Speed family.

Savage almost in tears at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

i've just been in shock over this the whole day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

RIP Gary Speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

RIP Gary Speed, unbelievable news, very sad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Shifty11

From a friends fb who works in Lifestyle Sports:
    A man came into lifestyle today asking about jersey printing and how much it would cost. he produced a 2005 Newcastle jersey and told me he wanted Speed 11 on the back just before his eyes welled up. RIP Gary Speed.

Shocked beyond belief. RIP Gary Speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The scenes at the Liberty Stadium will stay with me, a minutes silence turning into a round of applause and chanting of Gary Speeds name, Shay Given visibly distraught and yet still finding the courage to play on and keep a clean sheet.

Life just really sucks sometimes. It just still doesnt make any sense right now. God help his poor family :(

Advertisement