Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Gary Speed - Mod Note 292

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,014 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Liam O wrote: »
    pretty much my feelings on the subject tbh, don't see how what he said was 'sick'. As usual people only read part of what he says and make out that's the only thing he's saying. He also said it was tragic and his thoughts are with the family. Obviously it's a terrible thing and I feel sorry for him and his family but there are many other ways of dealing with it than suicide and I'm willing to celebrate his life rather than focus on his death and I wont pretend to be able to comprehend what he was going through.

There are always many other ways to deal it for the outsider.
    Also the idea that if you are truly depressed, people close to you will have to know isn't always true.
    Some depressed person have a remarkable ability to conceal it from others, even people close to them.

It's natural for those left behind to beat themselves for not spotting something was up, but sadly sometimes there is nothing you can do.

Personally I hope for Speed's family sake, why he did it remains a mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

There are always many other ways to deal it for the outsider.
    Also the idea that you if you are truly depressed, people close to you will have to know isn't always true.
    Some depressed person have a remarkable ability to conceal it from others, even people close to them.

It's natural for those left behind to beat themselves for not spotting something was up, but sadly sometimes there is nothing you can do.

Personally I hope for Speed's family sake, why he did it remains a mystery

To them or the outside world or everybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I am have to say i am disappointed in myself in being so morbidly curious why this tragic incident ocurred. Hopefully we never find out, as soon it someone does it will leaked via twitter and via online gossip sites.

Good bless those he left behind, what a sad event.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TeRmInAlCrAzY

Also the idea that you if you are truly depressed, people close to you will have to know isn't always true.

This.

We had a hard time with my brother, we could never really tell if he was up or down. And you'd think, being family, that it would be easy.

Nerp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,014 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    To them or the outside world or everybody?

Obviously for their sake first and foremost. Of course if something leaks they won't be somehow shielded from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

This.

We had a hard time with my brother, we could never really tell if he was up or down. And you'd think, being family, that it would be easy.

Nerp.

It was the same with a friend of mine. he attempted it a couple of times unsuccessfully and the night before he actually killed himself he was at my birthday party. He came back to the house for the house-party and everything. Was in the best of spirits. You never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Suicide is the worst form of death. The devastation can lead to more deaths. The guilt that is left behind can become too much to take. You would never ever stop wondering why?

Depression is an awful disease but there is help out there for it. Whether it be drugs, counselling or whatever, its out there. It may not work but for the sake of you, your family/friends, you have to go for it. No one only Gary Speed will know what was going on his head and the obviously awful facade he was leading. It must have been hell on earth.

Selfish is an inappropriate word for it as he ultimately probably thought it best for everyone incl. himself if he was dead. I don't know if he ever saw a doctor regarding his depression but he should have. Only then could he see light at the end of the tunnel for himself and his family. Now its darkness followed by even more darkness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I see Joey Barton wastes no opportunity to enhance his fine reputation. A deplorable human being if ever there was one IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Why do people keep banging on about depression?

There has been no evidence of it and no statement made. In fact, none of his closest friends are acknowledging it as a factor.

With many suicides involving "celebrities" it quickly becomes apparent that the deceased was suffering in some way, Robert Enke, Cobain, Ian Curtis etc.

Not in this case.

It would be much better if people stopped assuming depression was the cause based on zero evidence. It's disrespectful.

RIP Gary. Great to hear the Leeds support tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

quarryman wrote: »

There has been no evidence of it and no statement made. In fact, none of his closest friends are acknowledging it as a factor.

With many suicides involving "celebrities" it quickly becomes apparent that the deceased was suffering in some way, Robert Enke, Cobain, Ian Curtis etc.

It would be much better if people stopped assuming depression was the cause based on zero evidence.

exactly.

its brought up that thread over in after hours too, there is zero evidence but people are just assuming,
    there is more to this than marking it off as depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Savman wrote: »
    I see Joey Barton wastes no opportunity to enhance his fine reputation. A deplorable human being if ever there was one IMHO.

you may want to read that quote again.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Not in this case.

It would be much better if people stopped assuming depression was the cause based on zero evidence. It's disrespectful.

Correct. As it stands it's a complete bolt out of the blue. No classic signs of depression at all. At the moment it's just a total mystery, and as much as we dislike not knowing, we don't. Got my tribute jersey today and I'll honour the man by wearing it proudly at Elland Road on Saturday. Great to hear the fans chanting his name tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Leeds fans are amazing tonight!!! and Snodgrass scoring during the 11minutes for Gary Speed! just brilliant!! so proud to be Leeds tonight, Gary I hope your watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

exactly, here's what i said in the other thread in after hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Really good piece in The Score:
    AS NEWS OF Gary Speed’s suicide broke this weekend, and news agencies set about the slightly grotesque business of canvassing bereaved colleagues and friends of the Premier League veteran for “tributes” and responses, one couldn’t but be struck by the frequency with which the relevant interviewees were drawn down the logical cul-de-sac of considering the event itself in terms of the victim’s manifold achievements.

PA-12171893-390x285.jpg
    Shay Given and his Aston Villa teammates during the minute's silence for Gary Speed on Sunday. The inquest into his death opens today.

At 42 years of age, Speed was enjoying spectacular success as the manager of the Welsh international football team, he could look back with pride on one of the longest careers in Premier League history and had, over the course of the his 20 years as a professional footballer, earned 85 caps for his national team.

Not only that, but as a husband and father of two young children, he could boast of a settled home life far removed, it seemed, from the clichés of top-flight football.

But to insist on setting his suicide against a limited selection of material factors doesn’t just do the memory Gary Speed a disservice, it hinders both our broader understanding and treatment of the illness to which he likely succumbed.

No one knows what was going on in Gary Speed’s head.
    But the World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates that approximately 121 million are currently people living with depression worldwide. At some point in the next decade, the illness will rise to second place on the index that calculates what’s known as “the global burden of disease”.

To put the scale of the pandemic in more accessible terms, Irish charity Aware believe as many as one-in-four residents of the Republic are currently affected by it, be that either directly or through contact with a spouse, family member or close friend.

The great tragedy of depression as an illness, however, isn’t its prevalence, exactly, but the frequency with which sufferers fail to receive adequate treatment. It’s a point Aware’s Kevin Smith is keen to emphasise:
    “Like any other illness, the earlier it’s dealt with, the better chance there is of a quick recovery. Most people who seek help will recover. It’s one of the most prominent mental health illnesses, but it’s also the most treatable.”

Ad campaigns and improved access to treatment have begun the slow business of overturning antiquated associations of mental illness with weakness, but the stigma attached to depression is still particularly strong, and nowhere is that more clearly evident than the results-driven, cliché-ridden world of professional sport.

Modern life is often assailed for its knack of reducing living, breathing human beings to mere instruments in a mechanical process, but it’s in sport that this narrowing of human experience really achieves its potential.

A relentless, career-long pursuit of physical excellence, the athletic conveyor belt doesn’t just marginalise mental health, it traps would-be sufferers in a web of outdated expectations and unreasonable personal demands.

Sport takes promising youngsters on a brief and turbulent journey before depositing them, untrained and unprepared, at the gates of middle age (what Gordon Taylor, the chief executive of the Professional Footballers’ Association, describes as the “cold bath” waiting at the end of a career in the limelight).
    Insecurity

For every Gary Speed or Robert Enke (the German international goalkeeper who committed suicide in 2009 after suffering for years with chronic depression), there are literally dozens of athletes struggling silently to come to terms with professional insecurity, low mood or the listlessness and confusion attendant upon sudden retirement.

Many organisations, like our own Gaelic Players Association (GPA) and the PFA, have put protocols and procedures in place to ensure members can avail of advice and counselling, but as Taylor tells TheScore, they’re competing with an entrenched culture of denial:
    “[Our courses have] been received very well, actually, and they’re welcome because it’s an issue that isn’t always met with understanding. I can recall when Stan Collymore was going through some difficulties at Aston Villa. They were threatening to sack him. I remember trying to explain to them that he was suffering from depression…

“The difficulty with it is that it’s an issue where you need the person himself to stand up, to come forward and understand that it can be dealt with in confidence.”

As seductive as the prospect of consigning blame for sport’s ideological blind-spots to the dressing room is, it remains an uncomfortable fact that the behaviour of supporters has, in the past, proven every bit as significant as that of colleagues in discouraging athletes from seeking help.

Viewed through the slightly warped lens of sporting fanaticism, mental illness tends to be shorn of its human quality and become something trivial, fodder for either an abusive chant or a snide bon mot (a fact to which a handful of prominent athletes, including the aforementioned Collymore, Sol Campbell, Andy Goram and cricketer Marcus Trescothick can well attest).

While smug marketing campaigns would have you believe that the prejudicial treatment of mental illness, like littering, was the fault of a few bad apples, Kevin Smith believes that, in reality, the evolution of social mores in recent years has been nearly imperceptible:
    “In my opinion, it’s hardly changed at all. The stigma surrounding depression is enormous. People still see it as a weakness; they still feel it’s something they can deal with”

In many ways, then, the experience of the professional athlete exaggerates the terms of our already fraught relationship with ideas of well-being and mental health.

Viewed in that light, the death of Gary Speed doesn’t seem to stand as an isolated, personal tragedy, but a stark reflection of the chronically inadequate values on which society at large and professional sport in particular are founded.

Likewise, to insist that suicide is either inexplicable or somehow capable of being reduced to a coherent narrative– a chain of events– is, in many ways, to deny depression its legitimacy as an illness.

read that this morning. good piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Not in this case.

The evidence is in suicide.

RIP Gary Speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Warper wrote: »
    The evidence is in suicide.

RIP Gary Speed

It's evidence of NOTHING.

Just found an article actually making the same point I have.

The exploitation of Gary Speed's death.

The indication that commentators, psychological professionals and mental health charities for which Speed’s death has been nothing short of a "promotional opportunity".

"But then it starts: no sooner has ignorance been confessed than assumption and prejudice are seemingly given free reign. So it is simply assumed that Speed was suffering from some form of depression. It is simply assumed that his life, as a footballer, was lacking in some sort of spiritual depth. And it is simply assumed that there are thousands more people out there just like the official version of Speed now emerging, outwardly happy but inwardly tortured. It has made for an unedifying spectacle. The absence of actual knowledge, the vacuum around which the analyses and commentaries are being frantically and speedily constructed, has sucked in some of the most retrograde of contemporary beliefs.
    In the absence of any knowledge, then, in the absence of even the flimsiest of pretexts, the private tragedy of the Speed family has been given a public, awareness-raising function. A bit of old-fashioned respect might be more in order."

People might take note before associating the completely assumed reasons behind Gary Speed's death with anything to do with mental illness, depression or otherwise.

(Apologies for seeming a little bit wound up on this).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

It's evidence of NOTHING.

Just found an article actually making the same point I have.

The exploitation of Gary Speed's death.

The indication that commentators, psychological professionals and mental health charities for which Speed’s death has been nothing short of a "promotional opportunity".

"In the absence of any knowledge, then, in the absence of even the flimsiest of pretexts, the private tragedy of the Speed family has been given a public, awareness-raising function. A bit of old-fashioned respect might be more in order."

People might take note before associating the completely assumed reasons behind Gary Speed's death with anything to do with mental illness, depression or otherwise.

(Apologies for seeming a little bit wound up on this).

Even if Speed wasn't depressed surely the fact that we are talking about mental health and giving males in particular the chance to open up about depression is a good thing full stop? I also fail to see how charities getting a chance to promote themselves could be seen in any way as a bad thing?

flahavaj wrote: »
    Even if Speed wasn't depressed surely the fact that we are talking about mental health and giving males in particular the chance to open up about depression is a good thing full stop? I also fail to see how charities getting a chance to promote themselves could be seen in any way as a bad thing?

Because it's providing exposure for them by exploiting the unexplained death of an individual.

Just because the charity's intentions are good, in this instance, they have no relevance whatsoever without the full information.

I'm not just talking about charities. The media too will hype up the depression element, wheel out Collymore and play snippets of Robert Enke.

Even posters on here who have somehow related to the reasons behind Speed's death with their own lives. It's disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Because it's providing exposure for them by exploiting the unexplained death of an individual.

Just because the charity's intentions are good, in this instance, they have no relevance whatsoever without the full information.

I'm not just talking about charities. The media too will hype up the depression element, wheel out Collymore and play snippets of Robert Enke.

Even posters on here who have somehow related to Speed's death with their own lives. It's disappointing.

Again the fact that depression is being discussed more openly is a good thing, not a bad thing. Even if it arises from an incident that isn't depression based, making mental health issues less of a taboo can only be a good thing, full stop.

Talking about these thing is far from "disappointing." I hope the debate continues about depression even if it emerges Speed wasn't at all depressed. Its the one tiny crumb of positivity that could possibly com from his horrible horrible situation.

Again the fact that depression is being discussed more openly is a good thing, not a bad thing. Even if it arises from an incident that isn't depression based, making mental health issues less of a taboo can only be a good thing, full stop.

Talking about these thing is far from "disappointing." I hope the debate continues about depression even if it emerges Speed wasn't at all depressed. Its the one tiny crumb of positivity that could possibly com from his horrible horrible situation.

Fair point.

I'm just not sure people should be so quick to make instant assumptions in this particular case. Depression is rapidly becoming a media buzzword when referring to celebrities with "issues". It should be discussed openly and understood, by all means, but not in the context of this particularly sad death. Not yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Reading the arguments above, I'm not surprised this, so called, exploitation has happened. In fact, the more I re-read the above posts, the more similarities I draw with the global warming argument. Its happened before, and it'll happen again. Conclusions are drawn as to the cause, without 100% knowledge, with the effect of people coming in and trying to spread awareness for a cause. Right or wrong, they're goal is to achieve a better world. But by definition, there has to be bad for there to be a better world, and we can't ignore the catalysts to change.

Anyway, RIP Gary Speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

If it wasnt depression, then what was it? Can a man just flip in one moment and kill himself. Is that possible?

Im seriously asking this question.

• Advertisement

Listening to the match on line tonight, I was just so proud to be a Leeds United supporter. The fans sang Gary Speed for 11mins and just when they stopped we scored, and got 3 more too. What game, very emotional.
    I hope we can give Speedo an even better tribute at Elland road on Saturday
    MOT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

If it wasnt depression, then what was it? Can a man just flip in one moment and kill himself. Is that possible?

Yes. Unfortunately they can:(
    The brother of a very good friend of mine had a silly bust up with his girlfriend one night and hung himself!!!
    Totally out of character and to this day he would be the last lad on earth you'd expect to do such a thing......
    Another friends sister hung herself where she was working one Saturday afternoon, again totally unexpected. Her boss became concerned when she didn't arrive back to the office-canteen area for lunch time and went down and found her.
    Both happy young people up until their deaths:(

the brother of the girl did remark to my husband ( his best friend) that it was selfish of his sister and he had a really tough time coming to terms with it so I can understand the comments made by J Barton.

This list is by no means exhaustive but off the top of my head:

Psychosis, i.e., hallucinations, hearing voices, etc., this has certainly prompted suicide.

Substance abuse disorders - addiction to alcohol, cocaine, hallucinogenics, mixes there of.

Gambling addiction, or serious losses due to gambling.

There are also other types of personality disorders (borderline personality disorder, for example) where suicide also features significantly.

However the problem is that a lot of the time these conditions will also present with symptoms of depression, so knowing what "causes" the suicide in such cases is difficult.

I would also imagine that it is quite possible that an otherwise healthy individual could suddenly be driven to suicide when exposed to huge stress or grief. Though the fact that they would take their life says something about their coping strategies and may indicate a deeper problem that went untreated.

Now, before some clown comes on here and accuses me of suggesting Speed had any of the above, I am not. I am simply responding to what I assumed to be a legitimate request for information.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    This list is by no means exhaustive but off the top of my head:

Psychosis, i.e., hallucinations, hearing voices, etc., this has certainly prompted suicide.

Substance abuse disorders - addiction to alcohol, cocaine, hallucinogenics, mixes there of.

Gambling addiction, or serious losses due to gambling.

There are also other types of personality disorders (borderline personality disorder, for example) where suicide also features significantly.

However the problem is that a lot of the time these conditions will also present with symptoms of depression, so knowing what "causes" the suicide in such cases is difficult.

I would also imagine that it is quite possible that an otherwise healthy individual could suddenly be driven to suicide when exposed to huge stress or grief. Though the fact that they would take their life says something about their coping strategies and may indicate a deeper problem that went untreated.

Now, before some clown comes on here and accuses me of suggesting Speed had any of the above, I am not. I am simply responding to what I assumed to be a legitimate request for information.

It was a legitimate question. There must be someone who knows what was going on, most likely his wife or someone close or was it a complete shock to them aswell.

Surely something like psychosis, he would not have ignored and sought help. Maybe the type of man he was and the profession to which he belonged curtailed his asking for help if it was depression.

Im sorry if Im overstepping the mark here but I cant get my head around this one at all. I loved Gary Speed as a player, I always wished he'd sign for Liverpool, and he was so consistently good. I feel so sorry for his friends and family and the impact it has had on everyone who loves the game is now evident for all to see.

Anyone who watches the premiership has grown up with him. I would just like to understand why, and I guess Im probe to depression aswell as a lot of people and im going through a very traumatic time and need to watch myself. This has really got me thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I really don't see what the big Issue is of opening up the discussion of Speeds death to discussing mental health issues.

Of course we don't know if Speed was depressed but really it can't be denied there is a huge connection between suicide and depression so that validates any discussion on depression leading from this mans suicide, no matter what reason he took his own life.

Also suggesting that the charities are exploiting his death is an extremely odd and cold way to look at things.

I get the point totally that we all may be jumping to conclusions that his suicide as caused by depression where there really is no evidence one way or the other, but either way the natural progression, if the subject of suicide is too be discussed in broader terms is to discuss depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I have to say that I also think suicide is a selfish act because ultimately it is the ppl left behind that are left to suffer.

I also understand that ppl who commit suicide see no other way out at that moment in their lives but it is a very permanent solution to a very often temporary problem.

Since this is a tread about Gary Speed, can I just say it was very heartening to see other football clubs holding minutes applause/silence for a great football man. The Leeds fans at the city ground were amazing. Just shows how much he was loved and respected by all fans, not just Leeds. I really am finding so hard to believe a man like Speed wouldn't seek help.

Would it be fair to say that those who do commit suicide are no longer rational human beings and therefore the question of it being selfish or otherwise goes out the window.

Would it be fair to say that those who do commit suicide are no longer rational human beings and therefore the question of it being selfish or otherwise goes out the window.

When it comes to serious cases of deep depression, this is likely.

To say it's a selfish act shows an ignorance and not a proper understanding of the illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Am pleased that this thread seems to have gone full circle despite occasionally looking like it it was careering off the rails.

Whether or not Speed's death related to depression, only time will tell. At the very least reading other people's brutally frank disclosures about their own depression should only be applauded on here. Particularly amongst lads, it's just not something which is really talked about. So by at least talking about depression it does increase awareness amongst people. His reasons for taking his own life in no way detract from what he meant to fans of virtually every club out there. He was solid and a was a total pro.

As a Leeds fan the midfield of Speed, Batty, McAllister and Strachan was something else when we won the league (many many many years ago). The fact that so many other fans also saw him as a hero is great to see.

RIP Speedo. You were a legend when I was 14 and you're still a legend today.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    When it comes to serious cases of deep depression, this is likely.

To say it's a selfish act shows an ignorance and not a proper understanding of the illness.

I think the poster above you has the right point.......

In my view it could be viewed as a selfish act as it is devastating to those left behind but of course the person who commits suicide is not thinking right in the first place anyway and so can hardly be accused of being selfish..... It's a paradox if you will.....

I can ony speak for myself and my own views and I really don't appreciate being called ignorant or being told I've no understanding of the illness.

I cannot count on 2 hands the amount of young people I know who have commited suicide. My own mum following 21 years raised in an industrial school-Magdalene Convent has battled depression for over 40 years. I've spent more summers in the ICU and Psych Ward with her than I think you could possibly imagine...:(

I'm fcukin sick and tired of posting a view here on whatever forum of Boards and having someone who disagrees or thinks they know better throw out the ignorant card!!!!"!!:mad:

By all means, have your view but please do not dismiss mine in such a terrible, disrespectful way:(

Sorry for the rant but this topic has hit a nerve with me

Logged in specifically to thank this.

I don't know why people have such a problem with the assumption that Speed was depressed. Statistically, it's a damn safe one.

I think the poster above you has the right point.......

In my view it could be viewed as a selfish act as it is devastating to those left behind but of course the person who commits suicide is not thinking right in the first place anyway and so can hardly be accused of being selfish..... It's a paradox if you will.....

I can ony speak for myself and my own views and I really don't appreciate being called ignorant or being told I've no understanding of the illness.

I cannot count on 2 hands the amount of young people I know who have commited suicide. My own mum following 21 years raised in an industrial school-Magdalene Convent has battled depression for over 40 years. I've spent more summers in the ICU and Psych Ward with her than I think you could possibly imagine...:(

I'm fcukin sick and tired of posting a view here on whatever forum of Boards and having someone who disagrees or thinks they know better throw out the ignorant card!!!!"!!:mad:

By all means, have your view but please do not dismiss mine in such a terrible, disrespectful way:(

Sorry for the rant but this topic has hit a nerve with me

Apologies if my post offended you in any way, it wasn't meant like that at all. My wording could possibly have been better.

My point is that branding someone selfish when they reach a point when suicide is the only option is insensitive for a better word, particularly for an outsider looking in and who knows little or nothing about the circumstances.

From what I've been told when you reach that point, everything else seems irrelevant and rational thoughts disappear.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Apologies if my post offended you in any way, it wasn't meant like that at all. My wording could possibly have been better.

My point is that branding someone selfish when they reach a point when suicide is the only option is insensitive for a better word, particularly for an outsider looking in and who knows little or nothing about the circumstances.

From what I've been told when you reach that point, everything else seems irrelevant and rational thoughts disappear.

I know you didn't mean any offence and I too would like to apologise for losing the head with you:o SORRY!!

I think we are all very much thinking from the same point of view and the word "selfish" when used in conjunction with suicide victims has all sorts of bad connotations tied to it..

I think you are correct when you say that a suicidal person loses rational thinking. I can only imagine that that is the case and the last thing they want to do is to cause more suffering or to be "selfish" (for want of a better word)........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Newcastle have announced that they are to have a singer to lead St James' Park in a rendition of Welsh hymn Bread of Heaven on Saturday. Cards will spell out number 11 in the East Stand. He's also set to be on the front of our match program with a four page tribute inside.

Nice gesture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

along with anything the fans did last night and will do saturday, leeds have announced their plans:

On Saturday, both teams will be wearing black arm bands with Leeds players and management wearing armbands embossed with “Speed 11″.

A minute’s applause will also be held ahead of the game after which respective managers Simon Grayson and Millwall manager Kenny Jackett will lay wreaths at both ends of the stadium.

“Prior to kick-off, a montage remembering Gary will be shown on the big screen, featuring some of his finest moments in a Leeds United shirt and showing some of the many tributes that have been paid since Sunday. Fans will again be paying tribute with a special banner in memory of Gary, with the words ‘Go on Gary Speed, get one yourself son’ with reference to the famous commentary that accompanied his goal against Sheffield United at Elland Road in April 1990.

“Fans are also encouraged to continue paying their respects at the Billy Bremner Statue where the floral and shirt tributes continue to grow. It is hoped that many of the shirts will be kept and displayed in the club museum in the future. All flags will continue to fly at half-mast.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Dublin Leeds United Members Club is opening a book of condolence after being inundated with messages of support from Leeds United fans based in Ireland and on its Facebook page following the death of Leeds Legend Gary Speed.

Noel Rice Chairman “Dublin Leeds United Members Club would like to pay their respects to Gary’s family and friends. To let them know they are in our thoughts”.

David Meier Secretary said “Gary was a great professional; he was inspirational as a player and manager. We are deeply saddened by his lost”.

On Monday we sent 11 White Roses and 11 Yellow Roses wrapped in a Dublin Leeds United scarf that was placed at the Billy Bremner Statue at Elland Road a small gesture for a great player but a greater man. We are all shocked at the loss of Gary. Rest In Peace

As tributes have poured in for the former Leeds, Everton, Newcastle, Bolton and Sheffield United midfielder, all fans will be able to go to the The North Star Hotel, Amiens street, (across from Connolly Train Station) on Monday Night 5th December from 7.30pm to leave their tributes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

not sure of why this song but it seems kelly jones recorded this as a tribute to gary..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

^
    STEREOPHONICS FRONTMAN KELLY Jones has recorded a musical tribute to Gary Speed.
    The Wales manager was found dead by his wife on Sunday morning, shocking the football world.
    Ahead of a weekend of planned tributes for the national team manager, the Welsh band have released a version of Andy Williams’ I Can’t Take My Eyes Off You.
    The video will feature as part of a tribute to Speed on Welsh TV tonight. The song has special resonance with football fans there as it was used in a promo for the 1994 World Cup qualifier in which Wales came so close – and was adopted as an anthem by those on the terraces.
    [URL="denied:denied:denied:bbc%20http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/15995644.stm"]Jones said:[/URL] “I was with my two daughters at the Millennium Stadium after the Wales v England international [in March].
    “We were waiting at the lift and Gary ended his phone conversation and shook my hand. We had a chat about the game and shared the lift to the ground floor. He was a very nice man. Good-looking fella.
    “I was consumed the whole day when I heard the news. I couldn’t get my head around it. Then the BBC approached me to record the song. It’s a 10-minute job but I hope it’s fitting for the tribute on the show.”
    Tributes

Tomorrow, Speed’s former midfield team-mates at Leeds United – Gary McAllister, David Batty and Gordon Strachan – will lay wreathes at Elland Road before a minute’s applause.
    Newcastle United – with whom Speed played for six seasons – have said they will produce a special match programme with a picture of Speed on the cover.
    Prior to kick-off at St James’ Park, a singer will lead the 52,000-strong crowd in a rendition of the famous Welsh hymn, Bread of Heaven.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/cant-take-my-eyes-off-you-stereophonics-record-gary-speed-tribute-294462-Dec2011/

Tomorrow's match program cover.

0,,10278~10254321,00.gif

Few North East journalists on Twitter have been told the following:
    #NUFC have postponed their tribute to Gary Speed tomorrow at the request of his widow Louise, who wants to be present when it takes place...

@Lee_Ryder @MilesStarForth tweeted the same thing.

www.nufc.co.uk
    We have today received a request from Louise Speed to postpone the club's planned tribute to her husband Gary, in order that she can join us at the stadium when our tribute takes place.

Louise has been very touched by the plans and expressed a desire to be present.

As Louise will be at Elland Road tomorrow on her request we have rescheduled our tribute and it will now take place at our next home game, against Swansea on December 17.

A minute's applause for Gary will still take place before kick-off.

Powerful scenes at the Millennium stadium today. Shane Williams with it being his last game for Wales in particular was very emotional given all that has happened the last week.

Elland Road was just unbelievable yesterday. so moving, the tributes were amazing. Simon Grayson and Kenny Jacket each put a wreath behind both goals, and very emotional McAllister, Batty and Strachan laid one between the dug outs. the montage on the big screen was beautiful, had almost everyone in tears. but best of all, we won, and won for Gary Speed.

RIP Speedo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

As a lifelong Wednesday supporter,we've always taken the mickey out of Blades managers/players etc but gotta say i cant get over how irrelevant any of that is now and feel really sorry for ppl around him as most Owls do.

Really hope some real explanation comes out one day just to ratify what made a 'nice guy with everything to live for' resort to something like this.

sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The coroner at the inquest into the death of Wales manager Gary Speed has said he cannot be satisfied he intended to kill himself.
    Speed's widow, Louise, said his job had put strain on their marriage and told how they had a row the night before he was found dead.
    She later found his body hanging in the garage at their home near Chester.
    The coroner said "the evidence does not sufficiently determine whether this was intentional or accidental".
    Louise Speed said she had gone for a drive after they had words when they returned from a dinner party, but she could not get back into the house.
    Four days earlier Speed sent his wife a text talking "in terms of taking his life", but she said he had dismissed it because of their children.
    She said the text referred to their "ups and downs" but also mentioned "how important the boys were" and about "moving forward".
    Mrs Speed said he did not leave a note. Det Insp Peter Lawless said his computer and phone were checked for a note, and none was found.
    His friend, the former England captain Alan Shearer, who was with him the day before he was found dead, said he had become aware there were issues between the couple.
    Shearer, whose family went on holiday with the Speeds, said he told him such issues were normal in a long-standing relationship.
    Continue reading the main story

It just didn't and still doesn't make sense to me”
    Alan Shearer Friend and former England captain
    Shearer last saw him at lunchtime on the Saturday before he died, when Speed appeared on the BBC's Football Focus programme.
    He said Speed - who played for a number of Premier League clubs, including Leeds, Newcastle, Everton, and Bolton - seemed fine and was laughing and joking.
    He got the call with the news of his death the next day. "It just didn't and still doesn't make sense to me," said Shearer's statement.
    He also said his friend did not seem worried about anything and told him he would call him the following Monday. He also said he seemed to be enjoying the Wales manager's job.
    'No greater honour' The hearing was told by the Welsh national team's GP, Dr Mark Ridgewell, that Speed had showed no signs of stress and depression.
    _58172389_013869982-1.jpg Gary Speed and Alan Shearer playing for Newcastle United in the Champions League in 2002
    Dr Bob Muggleton, the medical officer at Sheffield United - the club Speed managed before taking on the Wales job - told the inquest in Warrington that he had worked with him until 2010 and no mental health issues were raised during that time.
    The inquest was told about a dinner party hosted by a friend of Speed the night before he died, when he was in good spirits.
    Speed had been pushed in the pool with his clothes on, along with other men, and he had tried to push everyone else in the spirit of good fun.
    He had also been talking of booking a Christmas holiday to Dubai.
    Robert Bateman, the taxi driver who took the Speeds home, said everything had seemed normal and they were "as normal as they always are".
    The inquest was told Speed had alcohol in his blood, just over the UK drink-drive limit of 80mg.
    In a statement, Speed's mother Carol said her son had said that there was "no greater honour than to manage his country in the game he loved".
    _58140827_013305370-1.jpg Gary Speed on a training session with Wales
    She described him as a "half-empty person" and "certainly no optimist". The phone call from her daughter-in-law was the "worst moment of my life".
    Mrs Speed arrived at the inquest in Warrington shortly before it began with a number of family and friends.
    The League Managers' Association is expected to release a statement on her behalf after the hearing.
    Memorial match After news emerged of his death, tributes were paid to Speed from around the UK and the sporting world.
    Football matches around the country held minute's silences and applause, while fans of his former clubs, including Leeds United, Everton and Newcastle United, left scarves, shirts, photos and flags in Speed's memory.
    Tributes were also left at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff City Stadium and Wrexham's Racecourse Ground.
    _58141302_elland_road_speed_464_getty.jpg Leeds United fans left tributes to Gary Speed at Elland Road
    The Football Association of Wales announced a memorial international friendly game against Costa Rica in Cardiff, which will be held on 29 February.
    He had earned the first of his 85 Welsh caps as a 20-year-old in a friendly against the Central American country in 1990.
    The former Premier League star, who had two sons, went on to become Wales' most capped outfield player, captaining his country 44 times and scoring seven goals.
    Before becoming Wales boss in December 2010, he enjoyed a distinguished career managing Sheffield United and playing for a variety of top clubs.
    Earlier this month Speed's friend and former Wales teammate Chris Coleman was unveiled as the new Wales manager.

Advertisement