Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas lights.

Options
  • 27-11-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭

I took my grandson into Cork city centre yesterday to see the Christmas lights, there is only one word to describe them, Crap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

aujopimur wrote: »
    I took my grandson into Cork city centre yesterday to see the Christmas lights, there is only one word to describe them, Crap.

Couldn't agree more. The whole thing is a mess!

Myself and the girlfriend were walking down Oliver Plunkett Street about an hour before the official switch on and they were flashing on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I won't be home to see them for a few weeks. Are they the same as last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

Cork's Christmas lights are a joke - have been for the past number of years ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Those blue lights looked nice the first year, but they seem REALLY dim now. It has to get proper dark outside to realise if they're switched on or not.

Although to give credit where it's due, the Christmas trees on Grand Parade, Patrick Street and Emmet Place are really beautiful this year. It's about the only thing they got right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

The Christmas trees are nice enough but the other trees look like someone stood across the road and threw the lights at them. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It would not encourage anyone in to the city. Tis a sad day for Cork:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

The late 80s had the right idea: loads of coloured bulbs on tinselled rope, at a very high density, feckin everywhere! some in the shape of a few reindeer for a bit of variety. It had quite an impact. The LED-based designs of the last few years are a symptom of modern Ireland; we've apparently grown up and got adult decorations. I'm sure they look great in a catalogue but they obviously look weak in implementation. Surely there's a warehouse somewhere with all the old coloured bulbs, lets put them up and party like its the last recession!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

The late 80s had the right idea: loads of coloured bulbs on tinselled rope, at a very high density, feckin everywhere! some in the shape of a few reindeer for a bit of variety. It had quite an impact. The LED-based designs of the last few years are a symptom of modern Ireland; we've apparently grown up and got adult decorations. I'm sure they look great in a catalogue but they obviously look weak in implementation. Surely there's a warehouse somewhere with all the old coloured bulbs, lets put them up and party like its the last recession!

Have to agree - unless you lived in Cork you would not realise that there were any decorations up. I vote to put up the 80's tat too. The new ones in recent years kind of say we are too cool for school, bit poncy really. Big santa heads, snowmen and reindeer are the only way to go. Big, cheap and plastic! Oooohh, don't forget tinsel, there is not enough tinsel in the world anymore!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Completely agree! We've become way too 'modern' these days. What was wrong with the lovely coloured old lights? Even if they wanted to spruce them up they could have got new coloured ones? The ones on Patrick Street are a disaster, especially those big rectangular blue ones in the middle of the street - I seem to remember last year that out of the 4 that are there around 2 were working:rolleyes: Cork is just so un-christmassy! I remember my childhood when the turning on of the lights used to be such a big event but now I'm not so sure it has the same buzz (granted I haven't been in town when they are turned on for a few years now). I remember when we got those lights a few years back (must be 10 years now?) and I was in town with my mum and there was a huge crowd there since it was the unveiling of the fantastic new lights and when they were turned on, I swear, you could hear the gasp and the sigh of disappointment ('Is that it?!') from everyone! You couldn't even make them out - there was no colour, no warmth, no festiveness (is that a word?!) about them!

In short, BRING BACK THE OLD TACKY LIGHTS!!

Ok rant over:D

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

A few of us walked around last Friday night to look at the lights - agree with all posters - CRAP. But on the other hand - who's going to pay for the lights - Council - Retailers - Landlords - the piggy banks are empty. Just stand outside BT's as their window display is just wonderful - The Children of Lir is the theme. The only other windows worth looking at are Pendrix Display. I suppose the Council have put a lot of money into the Grand Parade and the Park - so do we weigh up which is better - having lovely coloured lights on Parna (like the 80's which were brill). Or eeky lights there and a winter wonderland in the Park and the market in the Grand Parade. It's a toughie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

aujopimur wrote: »
    I took my grandson into Cork city centre yesterday to see the Christmas lights,

You actually found it?

As a note, the only lights are essentially in Bishop Lucey Park. This has been a policy by City hall since they abandoned the main over head street lighting for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Surely there's a warehouse somewhere with all the old coloured bulbs, lets put them up and party like its the last recession!

They've gone completely, an EU directive banned these bulbs, circus and entrainment centres had all to change their bulbs too.

But the cost of storage for lights was catastrophic, the health n safety added hugely to to their installation, inspection and maintenance.

Gone are the days when a guy leant out the window and threw a rope to the ground and hauled up the bulbs.

But they were nice, the green and red and so on.

Advertisement