Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digitising DigiBeta for FCP 7

• 27-11-2011 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

A quick question; I was recently asked to edit a project shot on DigiBeta, I've never used this format before, and was wondering if an iMac is capable of digitizing the tapes or will I have to use a Mac Pro?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

What player will you be using? Are you planning on capturing via FireWire or SDI?

If FireWire you will be fine with the iMac, not all digibeta machines have FireWire though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I was planning on renting a Sony TRDVM2000. As for the capturing, I'd assume it would be Firewire, but to be honest I'm a bit clueless about digibeta. I remember hearing before that the iMac did not have the required graphics card to handle digibeta but wasn't sure of the exact details.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I don't believe that deck has FireWire. Digibeta is a pro format and already digital. Generally they are used to play out SDI video which in the mac world would most often be captured on a mac pro with an Sdi input card. Which you couldn't put into an iMac unless you had an external sdi to FireWire box or similar.

If you don't have a way to directly capture video into your setup, i.e sdi with embedded audio or Composite video with discrete audio then I wouldn't rent that deck. Look for a j30 player with FireWire port. It should be much cheaper to rent anyway compared to a 50k deck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Great, cheers for that :)

Advertisement