Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way of sending TIFFs and Jpegs over the internet?

• 27-11-2011 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

I am a photographer and I have clients in a panic in Australia and Brazil.

They want files and they want them fast. They can't wait for DHL (approximately 4 working days to Oz)

I am wondering what the best way is of sending 60 TIFF files to them? Each file is about 60Mb/8bit.

Is uploading one at a time the only way? If so, who/what should I use for this?

I have a website, and I can create a client login area where I do upload Jpegs for preview/signoff. Can I use my site for transferring TIFFs?

Any suggestions?

Thanks. :o

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Is that 60MegaBytes each or 60Megabit or what exactly?

I assume it's 60MB each (high resolution,high quality images) so overall you have 3600MB or 3.6GB to send.

Quite simply, that's a lot of data to upload, particularily if you're on a residential connection. (On a 7Mb eircom connection that would take well over 24 hours to upload.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dropbox, put them in Public folder ( on your own machine) and they synch up to public folder on dropbox with public URL . Then send URL to recipient.

If in Private it is not visible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Dropbox, put them in Public folder ( on your own machine) and they synch up to public folder on dropbox with public URL . Then send URL to recipient.

If in Private it is not visible.

Thanks for the rreply.

If I use Dropbox, do I still have to make 60 x 60Mb uploads into it, or is it made easier in some way? 3.5Gb is a lot, as written above! ;)

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks for the rreply.

If I use Dropbox, do I still have to make 60 x 60Mb uploads into it, or is it made easier in some way? 3.5Gb is a lot, as written above! ;)

Thanks.

D.
    The free version of Dropbox is 2Gb and your files are 3.6Gb so you will have to use the paid version.
    You haven't said who your ISP is, but assuming you have at least 256k upload it will take 1 Day 8 Hours 46 Minutes 4.8 Seconds, if you are on 128k upload it will take 2 Days 17 Hours 32 Minutes 9.6 Seconds to upload your files to Dropbox.
    Have a look here
    http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/calculate/downloadcalculator.php
    Welcome to Ireland's information superhighway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you're a photographer and this is something you do regularly, you need to invest in. A better upload speed. Most small office and residential DSL broadband services are asymmetric. They typically only upload at about 512 kbps and 1mbits max even though their download speeds are up to 24 mbits.

You should look at getting a cable broadband connection eg UPC or, a wireless service from one of the fixed wireless providers that provides a faster upload service.

In the meantime, see if you can get access to someone with a cable modem and fast upload speeds or a large business or campus network.

Otherwise, you'll just have to wait for the DSL modem to get through the files.

Unfortunately, ADSL is simply not designed for huge uploads and a lot of domestic/residential and SOHO broadband still used ADSL technology. This is not unique to Ireland either, you'd have to select your broadband providers and package carefully elsewhere to as the headline rates are all download speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks again for the replies.

I'm with UPC. Upload is 7Mb, I think. (Download is 25Mb)

I know now about the two Gb limit. I will do the loading in two stages.

Guess there's no way round it, so I'll just charge accordingly. ;)

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks again for the replies.

I'm with UPC. Upload is 7Mb, I think. (Download is 25Mb)

I know now about the two Gb limit. I will do the loading in two stages.

Guess there's no way round it, so I'll just charge accordingly. ;)

D.

Is upload not 1Mbit on the 25Mbit UPC package?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

According to their site it's 2.5Mb.

So should only be 3 or 4 hours, not too bad.

Advertisement