Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

11gb mkv file

• 27-11-2011 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

i have an 11gb mkv file and it wont transfer onto my external hard drive.it says there isnt enough space.but i know there is 136gb of space on it.any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Try downloading a free program called Teracopy from Codesectors. It's great for copying and moving files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Chances are your external hard disk drive is formatted with the FAT32 file system. This can only handle files up to 4GB in size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Is the external drive FAT32?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Khannie wrote: »
    Is the external drive FAT32?
    Yes it is but I have other files on the drive one of which is 69gb, made up of loads of avi files.they transfer no problem,its the single mkv that wont transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Yes it is but I have other files on the drive one of which is 69gb, made up of loads of avi files.they transfer no problem,its the single mkv that wont transfer.

I'm confused: do you have a single 69GB file already on the drive, or is it a collection of multiple files?

Any single file in FAT32 can only be less than 4GB big. A larger file cannot be handled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

crazygeryy wrote: »

I'm confused: do you have a single 69GB file already on the drive, or is it a collection of multiple files?

Any single file in FAT32 can only be less than 4GB big. A larger file cannot be handled.

it,is a collection of avi files in one folder yes.so anything larger than 4gb cannot be transferred then.if you change the drive to ntfs do you loose any space?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

2 options:
    1) Convert drive to NTFS
    2) Split the file. If you want to watch the split parts you need to use a MKV splitter. If its only for storage you can use any file splitter or archiver

For a MKV splitter download MKVToolnix link and use MKVMergeGUI.

Load the file, go to global options and enable splitting by some size less than 4GB. Then click mux.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Billy Zhang

Format it as ntfs.then u can copy one file>4G.Or Divide the hard drive into two.and format one as ntfs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you format it, you will wipe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Create a partition on the drive and format the new partion to ntfs
    When you then connect to your computer it will look like 2 drives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

If you're using Windows 7, you can convert FAT32 to NTFS without formatting...please note:
    Although the chance of corruption or data loss during the conversion is minimal, it is recommended that you backup any data that you do not want to lose on the volume that you want to convert before you start the conversion to be extra safe.
    I've done it myself on a 1TB Western Digital hard drive with no loss of data, but there's always a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Another option, if formatting does not appeal to you for any reason. would to to make a multi-part RAR/ZIP archive, the size of parts to fit on the FAT32 drive. Without compression would be a little quicker. You'd have to reassemble the MKV to view it.

Advertisement