Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wires across roads

Options
  • 27-11-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the purpose of the black wires that stretch across various roads in the city? They're connected to a silver box. I'm guessing they measure speed or gather info for a survey.

Just curious...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

counts vehicles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Passed over a few of those today - was wondering what they were all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Id say its to count the traffic in the morning and what directions everyone takes, there were wires on every road at coming onto and off the roundabout at the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

wouldn't be just in the morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

They're rubber tubes. The box at the end contains equipment that measures the change in air pressure when a vehicle goes over them, thus counting the vehicles.

I assume there's some way of accounting for multi-axel vehicles...

Andy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

alinton wrote: »
    I assume there's some way of accounting for multi-axel vehicles...

I would assume so, and further, that they'd be able to make a separate count of those bigger vehicles so as to make for more useful information.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The highway van was parked in front of the church on the dunmore road this afternoon, when the jeep in front of me nearly hit it, after taking the corner too fast. Even yer man jumped back onto the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Are they being used to measure speed (ie. distance bwetween tubes/time it takes for front wheel to get from one tube to the next), or just being used to count vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Data collection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Are they being used to measure speed (ie. distance bwetween tubes/time it takes for front wheel to get from one tube to the next), or just being used to count vehicles?

They can't measure speed because of the varying axel spacings with different vehicles.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

They could actually measure average speed on given stretch based on axle patterns.

Say first set of tubes notices axle pattern: 2 - 2 - 2 - 5 - 2 - 2 - 3
    While the tubes at the end of tested stretch give you 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 5

Although you can't say which 2 axle car overtook another you could definitely calculate what was the avg speed for 3 and 5 axle vehicles.

beazee wrote: »
    They could actually measure average speed on given stretch based on axle patterns.

Say first set of tubes notices axle pattern: 2 - 2 - 2 - 5 - 2 - 2 - 3
    While the tubes at the end of tested stretch give you 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 5

Although you can't say which 2 axle car overtook another you could definitely calculate what was the avg speed for 3 and 5 axle vehicles.

Yep it can do anything really after all it is a highly sophisticated doo-whackey

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

The installer´s van had International Data Collection on the side of it.
    The Germans want to know everything:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

There all over the place, passed over a heap of them in the last 2 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

They're the whole way in the Dunmore Road and the ORR down by Tesco. Are they elsewhere in the city or just out that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Passed a couple on the inner ring road as well

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

There is some load of them around town alright. With my tinfoil hat on, I started looking for cameras in case they were measuring speed!! Didnt see any though :)

I think they measure how busy a road is in each direction. So it wouldn't matter how many axles per vehicle went over the wires, but how often any axle went over them.

Makes sense for the city council to keep on top of that info I guess.

fricatus wrote: »
    They're the whole way in the Dunmore Road and the ORR down by Tesco. Are they elsewhere in the city or just out that way?

They are around the Folly, and Inner Ring Road and Keanes Road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I haven't seen the locations of these but they are generally set up on all approaches and exits from junctions in order to count the traffic volumes. When a vehicle passes over the tubing a pulse is sent down the tube to the collector box which records the passing vehicle. By laying them at various locations you can tell how many cars joined or left the road at a junction or between junctions. This information is then gathered and will be used for forward planning of resurfacing requirements, traffic signaling etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

there across the road because they had nowhere else to put them:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

1. Drive over them
    2. Reverse back over them
    3. Repeat 4-5 times
    Just to mess with their stats. If we do it enough we might get a fly-over built :)

letsbet wrote: »
    1. Drive over them
    3. Repeat 4-5 times
    Just to mess with their stats. If we do it enough we might get a fly-over built :)

This!! Or just drive over the first of the two wires, you'd end up with some guy at a screen watching cars disappearing into a black hole!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dunphy3

mecco wrote: »
    There is some load of them around town alright. With my tinfoil hat on, I started looking for cameras in case they were measuring speed!! Didnt see any though :)

I think they measure how busy a road is in each direction. So it wouldn't matter how many axles per vehicle went over the wires, but how often any axle went over them.

or to force heavy axil vechicals to use the new??? bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

dunphy3 wrote: »

Or maybe to take back all the lovely new roads built here in the past ten years because the politicians realized the commie unionists in Waterford don't deserve em. They are going to put em together again up in Galway or somewhere that deserves em!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

so thats what they are!!!! i thought they were the worlds smallest speed ramps!

dunphy3 wrote: »
    mecco wrote: »

You could be right but I don't get how they'd achieve that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

letsbet wrote: »
    1. Drive over them
    3. Repeat 4-5 times

Or setup an "Occupy the Road Wires" facebook page and get a load of crusties to setup camp on them, to "stick it to the man" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

They are all over cork and Limerick to I noticed dis week

Gone this evening I think. Now we wait...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

Although I know absolutely nothing about these wires, it seems pretty obvious that you could easily measure speed between both wires. if it was just for checking the amount of cars then surely one wire would be enough.

*Removes tinfoil hat*

Advertisement