Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from the US to teach in Ireland

Options
  • 27-11-2011 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello all,

I wasn't sure where to start looking, but I thought this might be the right place. I am from the United States and studying Education at a University. I will be graduating this year with a Bachelor's Degree in Elementary and Early Childhood Education (qualifications for children from birth to age 12, or birth-6th grade). Recently, I have been thinking about moving to Ireland after graduation to pursue a job in education. I was wondering, however, how I could go about doing this. If anyone knows how I could become a primary teacher in Ireland with the US qualifications I have now, please don't hesitate to respond. I want nothing more than to move to Ireland but I need help in making this dream a reality.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

You need to contact the Teaching Council of Ireland to find out whether your degree allows you to teach here, and what steps you need to take in order to be recognised as a teacher in Ireland.

Have a look at www.teachingcouncil.ie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

One of the biggest obstacles you will have is the Irish language. It is taught by every primary teacher in the state, in each mainstream classroom. You will need to prove competence in the language through a special exam. I am guessing that you would need to start learning it from scratch, which would not be easy. Of course your degree would have to be accepted by the Teaching Council before you should even consider embarking down the Irish language road.

Advertisement