Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going over to New York on a J1, doing a bit of acting on the side

Options
  • 27-11-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, so I might be going over to New York on a J1 Visa this summer, and want to do some acting while I'm over there, maybe enroll in an evening class as well.

Just wondering if anyone here has been in New York who has gone over to act and where is the best place to start? Any advice appreciated

Note: I'm into acting as a career rather than just a hobby, also don't mind stage or screen. Would love any advice for going to auditions and whatnot as well, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Check out the New York Film Academy. Now I have NO idea what they're like or prices, but I lived near their old cafe location in the East Village and it always look cool and busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hey Twee, thanks for that, prices are quite expensive according to website though!

Just in relation to where you stayed in the East Village, was it expensive there... what were prices like? Thanks :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Hey Twee, thanks for that, prices are quite expensive according to website though!

Just in relation to where you stayed in the East Village, was it expensive there... what were prices like? Thanks :)

Very expensive to rent! I lived in Alphabet City, a little further east from the East Village, but like a 15 minute walk to the village. I was paying $900 and shared with two people. There's loads of great places to live in Brooklyn and Queens, just do your research. Don't bother with the Bronx. I know some guys who lived on Staten Island, they wouldn't recommed it :p

In Brooklyn look at Greenpoint, Carroll Gardens, Williamsburg, Park Slope. Stay clear of Bedford Stuyvesant, Flatbush and Bushwick. The last isn't awful but friends who lived there didn't love it.
    In Queens have a look at Sunnyside, it's lovely and on the 7 train straight into Manhattan. Also Woodside.

All I can say is do your research! It's hard to know without seeing the areas for yourself, and most won't rent to you without meeting you. I booked in a hostel for 10 days when I arrived so I could visit flats and explore the areas. I used Craigslist, but beware there are a lot of scams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Twee. wrote: »
    Very expensive to rent! I lived in Alphabet City, a little further east from the East Village, but like a 15 minute walk to the village. I was paying $900 and shared with two people. There's loads of great places to live in Brooklyn and Queens, just do your research. Don't bother with the Bronx. I know some guys who lived on Staten Island, they wouldn't recommed it :p

In Brooklyn look at Greenpoint, Carroll Gardens, Williamsburg, Park Slope. Stay clear of Bedford Stuyvesant, Flatbush and Bushwick. The last isn't awful but friends who lived there didn't love it.
    In Queens have a look at Sunnyside, it's lovely and on the 7 train straight into Manhattan. Also Woodside.

All I can say is do your research! It's hard to know without seeing the areas for yourself, and most won't rent to you without meeting you. I booked in a hostel for 10 days when I arrived so I could visit flats and explore the areas. I used Craigslist, but beware there are a lot of scams.

In Queens it's also worth looking at Astoria and Long Island City, both only one stop from Manhattan. I used to live in Hamilton Heights which is actually on the island of Manhattan. It's a long way up 135 to 150 street or so but fairly cheap (3 bedroom apartment for 1800 dollars a month :eek::eek::eek::eek:) and pretty safe and on an express line to downtown. The neighbourhood is predominantly Dominican which might bother some people but we never had a single bit of toruble.

I wouldn't actually bother with Williamsburg, seriously it's become as expensive as Manhattan these days. Also might be worth looking at Hoboken and Jersey City in New Jersey, both connected by PATH to Midtown and significantly more space for the same price.

Advertisement