Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many of you started on a shortboard?

Options
  • 27-11-2011 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

how many of you started with shortboards or hybrids, thinkin on buyin my first board and its a 7ft hybrid, ive been surfing for about 9months now most weekends, renting a 7'6 or 7'2, and i can surf them quite easily although il almit my pop up needs work... how many of you would agree with starting with a shorter board?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

hey, i started on a 7ft9 BIC minimal and found it a good way to progress.
    imo i think people rarely regret starting on a longer board but many regret having too small a board which can really hold back their development regardless of what kind of board or surfing they end up getting into. If your pop up still needs work i'd tend to get something a bit longer with more float so you can nail one of the basics and most important parts of surfing.

Starting on a shortboard is a bad idea and won't work for most adults, there are of course exceptions but not too many. Get something cheap to start with and don't feel need to keep it forever, it's easy to sell on learner style boards once you're ready to step up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

I'd be interested in WHY the op wants a shorterboard.

I'm guessing that is the reason behind the post, so whats the motivation slime?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭slimgsi

well to be honest im a determined person, and my goal is to surf somethin in the 6ft range by next year, i pick up things very easy, from riding a 7'6 the past few weeks my first go on a 7ft 20" wide hybrid i could get up and ride my first try. im just wondering am i being too ambitious?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

slimgsi wrote: »
    well to be honest im a determined person, and my goal is to surf somethin in the 6ft range by next year, i pick up things very easy, from riding a 7'6 the past few weeks my first go on a 7ft 20" wide hybrid i could get up and ride my first try. im just wondering am i being too ambitious?

It depends. When you say ride what do you mean exactly?

well im no pro, i can get up and ride across the unbroken part of the wave.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

well im no pro, i can get up and ride across the unbroken part of the wave.

Thats pretty good going in fairness. I wouldn't move down to a 6 footer until you're cutting back and bottom turning handy enough and your pop-up is bomb proof though, thats just me though :)

You will progress quicker on the larger boards. you've only surfed 7+ mini-mals so far right? If you go down to a shortboard it will seem very different and frustrate the hell out of you at first. Another option could be a fish, they're short but they have lot more float than your regular shortboards so would be a lot more forgiving. I'm getting a fish soon myself and it will be my first board under 7ft. It's up to yourself really.

pm'd u the board im thinkin on gettin, think its more of a hybrid than a shortboard. im gonna give it a good try and if i dont succeed il go bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Good Man Slimgsi, you're obviously gonna be the dogs but I'm still curious as to why you're going shorter.
    Why do you want a short(er) board?
    Why, as an ambitious & determined person as you say yourself, do you view the shortboard as the goal to aim towards?

i take it your a longboarder? i think short boarding is more demanding and takes more skill (i imagine il be corrected on this) than long boarding. from watchin videos and having an interest in surfing i like carving the way and the airs that can be got with experience of course. and of course the sheer handyness of carrying and transporting a shortboard compared to a 9ft odd long board

i take it your a longboarder? i think short boarding is more demanding and takes more skill (i imagine il be corrected on this) than long boarding. from watchin videos and having an interest in surfing i like carving the way and the airs that can be got with experience of course. and of course the sheer handyness of carrying and transporting a shortboard compared to a 9ft odd long board

Careful now, lets not say things we can't take back. :pac:

They're entirely different diciplines with different skill sets(some are interchangeable) and philosophies, so its not really right to say one demands more skill than the other. I'd rather watch a good logger than a shortboarder anyday but that's just personal preference :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

I started off on a 6'4, but it did take me 2-3 sessions to get used to it as I had only surfed on foamies in lessons beforehand. I was relatively small and light, so the size of the board was perfect for me really.

I wouldn't particularly advise a shortboard if you're particularly tall and heavy unless you're determined and really want to start on a shortboard. It can be relatively off-putting not being able to catch waves as easily as on a longboard. It also requires a lot more paddling than a longer board which is kinda frustrating at times if you're as lazy as I am.

i just dont unserstand long boarding, wouldn be able to tell you how its done right or wrong. have seen very few long boarders in the water in rossnowlagh. all short boards or mals, with 1million foamies in the middle :P

thought the policy was to steer newbies to really small thin shortboards guys come on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

i just dont unserstand long boarding, wouldn be able to tell you how its done right or wrong. have seen very few long boarders in the water in rossnowlagh. all short boards or mals, with 1million foamies in the middle :P

You're off to a great start there Slim.

Forget the surfing. Fitting in is the most important thing.

Slagging off foamies is also the norm for the stand up crew.

Keep it up dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

promethius wrote: »
    thought the policy was to steer newbies to really small thin shortboards guys come on :D
    And 3mm wetsuits for winter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

rodento wrote: »
    And 3mm wetsuits for winter :D

I love these threads :D

Don't forget the boardies + rashie outside the wetsuit

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Love the foam, gives me a massive grin.:D:D

If you see someone riding a foam board and smiling ear to ear they are probably having the time of they're life. Simple pleasures.:cool:

you're bang on keryl
    i've often seen good surfers taking out foamies on busy small days and they clean up on wave count. fair play!
    it's all about the waves doesn't matter what craft or not you use to catch them, a real waterman knows that.
    posers want to look good and be in the cool crowd oftentimes at the expense of what it's all about.
    none of my business though, more waves for the rest of us :D

Almost every weekend I see this guy on a massive foam board abolutely Rippin it up, looks funny as he'll!

FlashD wrote: »

You're off to a great start there Slim.

Forget the surfing. Fitting in is the most important thing.

Slagging off foamies is also the norm for the stand up crew.

Keep it up dude!

Who said anything about wanting to fit in? And who slatted foamies, we all started on them... Wind your neck in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Up to you really whatever you want to surf on. I would say it would be difficult to start on a short board. It would probably help to do press ups etc and build up a lot to get a good start on it because I've found it's a hell of a lot tougher to paddle a wave, even paddle out on calm waters you notice a difference compared to a longer board.

I don't think anyone is trying to knock you it's just there is a fashion to shortboarders and sometimes there's more style than substance but go for it, let us know how you get on. shortboarding, longboarding, it's all a skill and at least your going into winter waters. The way I see it, if someone is going out and doing something it's better than just talking about it. More time in the water isn't a bad thing.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Its a rite of passage in surfing -
    1. start on a shortboard
    2. waste a year flapping around
    3. you realise that you've made a mistake.
    4. Buy a mini-mal and learn to surf properly

Don't feel bad. I've done it and most of my mates have done it. Its not just difficult to surf a shortboard - they require bigger more powerful waves waves to work than are suitable for beginners. They can be surfed in smaller weaker waves but it requires very good technique.

the surfboard i bought is a 7ft 20 odd wide, 2 5/8 thick, more of a hybrid i think, so not really a shortboard, had it out for a spin today, waves wer horrible, but i managed a good few before i got fed up in whitewater... :(

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Its a rite of passage in surfing -
    1. start on a shortboard
    2. waste a year flapping around
    3. you realise that you've made a mistake.
    4. Buy a mini-mal and learn to surf properly

That's fairly spot on, though a lot just pack it in after step 2. That shortboard disappears into an attic or somewhere gathering cobwebs for the rest of its life.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

FlashD wrote: »
    That's fairly spot on, though a lot just pack it in after step 2. That shortboard disappears into an attic or somewhere gathering cobwebs for the rest of its life.

Of course its hard to start on a shortboard, but its not impossible. Is a bit of a challenge that off putting to some people or what? If it takes a year of not catching a wave to realise that a shortboard is not for you then you might wanna switch on the aul brain. You can always sell shortboard for 2nd hand if it doesn't work out, and go for a 7-8ft bic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

So (to slightly hijack the thread) is a mini the recommended length of board to learn on?

SuprSi wrote: »
    So (to slightly hijack the thread) is a mini the recommended length of board to learn on?

Yea if you want to progress as quick as possible a min-mal or a longboard is the way to go. More waves = more progression. That doesn't mean you can't learn on a shortboard, but you're just making it harder for yourself if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Went from a foamie to a 7ft2 Bic myself, only got into surfing last October, but for the amount of times I've been across to the west to surf (7/8), Im happy with the progress.. Itching for a surf now..

Absolutely not, how many mini mals do you see the schools handing out to learners? None by my count!

If you want to learn then small waves is where you are going to do it, that means a longboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

If its your first time surfing, go to a school and learn to stand up on a foamie but don't invest in one as you can't do much else with them once you learn to stand up. If you are looking for a board to progress a little then, depending on your size I would recommend a mid-length approx 8ft board. As stated above you will catch more waves with a longboard but the can be a little tricky to start out on as they tend to nosedive a lot until you get them wired. ALso if you're not particularly fit or strong, its not much fun trying to hold on to a longboard in the whitewater on a messy day.

A mini-mal will work in a variety of conditions and IMHO it gives you more options for choosing your next board i.e. if you choose to go longer or shorter whereas if you learn on a longboard then going to a 7ft board is a big step-down. A lot of surf-schools will do their 'intermediate' lessons on mini-mals like 7'9" or 8'4" Bics.

Advertisement